What's new

Help identifying two old DE razors

edit: sorry for some blurry images!

I picked these up at a store for about $7 each. One of the razors (the first one in the slideshow) is a Gillette razor, but I don't know which model and year. I believe they are called "ball-end" or something similar. Just have a look at the pics.

The other razor has a similar handle, but the head is much smaller. Also, there aren't written anything on this one. Perhaps a cheap imitation or something? Just have a looksie.

First razor: Gillette

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
It says: "Patent 133963, other patents pending"
proxy.php
This piece says: "Gillette", "made in england", "other pats + arit.pat.nos 272629", "pending 11 2772-133963"
proxy.php
same piece as previous image, just turned it.

Here are some pics of that other razor next to the Gillette razor, for comparison:

proxy.php
Gillette being the biggest
proxy.php
Gillette to the right
proxy.php
Gillette north (other south)
proxy.php
Gillette north (greenish colour), other south

I hope these pictures are good enough. I'm hoping someone knows something.
Also, what should I use to clean and polish these two up?

One though, it must a pain changing blades with these ones, as one twist the head open. I tried putting blades in, and was afraid of cutting myself all the time!

Regards
Compaq:smile:

The Gillette appears to be a Goodwill, though I am not sure if they were produced in England...so maybe it's the brit version of the Goodwill...The other looks to be a gillette knockoff of an Old typ gillette.

No idea what kinds of razors those are.

Here is a method that I came up with for changing blades on my Gillette 3-piece. Hopefully it will work for you. Please be sure that the razor and both hands are dry, and that you have a new blade unwrapped, and ready to go, before attempting this.

Here's how I do it:

1. Place the razor head down in the palm of your hand, handle sticking up vertically.
  2. Unscrew the handle from the head, and set it aside.*
  3. Lift off the bottom portion of the head, leaving the blade resting in the top portion. Set that aside as well.
  4. Lift out the old blade, and drop in the new blade.
  5. Replace the bottom portion of the head, over the blade.
  6. Screw the handle back on until it bottoms out and stops turning.*

*Be careful when screwing the handle on and off that you don't flex your palm over the blade edges trying to grip the head. Just press the top of the head into your palm, that should provide enough friction to hold it in place. When you screw the handle back on, you don't need to screw it down really tight, just enough until it bottoms out and stops turning. The pressure of the bowed blade should be enough to keep the handle from loosening.

I hope this helps, and please be careful.

The Gillette appears to be a Goodwill, though I am not sure if they were produced in England...so maybe it's the brit version of the Goodwill...The other looks to be a gillette knockoff of an Old typ gillette.

After some polishing (I'll post pics in the cleaning thread), I saw that it doesn't say "Arit.pat.nos", but "Brit.pat.nos".. So it might just be a British version of some model, though I have no idea which one. Perhaps anyone else has an opinion?

No idea what kinds of razors those are.

Here is a method that I came up with for changing blades on my Gillette 3-piece. Hopefully it will work for you. Please be sure that the razor and both hands are dry, and that you have a new blade unwrapped, and ready to go, before attempting this.

Here's how I do it:

1. Place the razor head down in the palm of your hand, handle sticking up vertically.
  2. Unscrew the handle from the head, and set it aside.*
  3. Lift off the bottom portion of the head, leaving the blade resting in the top portion. Set that aside as well.
  4. Lift out the old blade, and drop in the new blade.
  5. Replace the bottom portion of the head, over the blade.
  6. Screw the handle back on until it bottoms out and stops turning.*

*Be careful when screwing the handle on and off that you don't flex your palm over the blade edges trying to grip the head. Just press the top of the head into your palm, that should provide enough friction to hold it in place. When you screw the handle back on, you don't need to screw it down really tight, just enough until it bottoms out and stops turning. The pressure of the bowed blade should be enough to keep the handle from loosening.

I hope this helps, and please be careful.

Thanks a lot, that method really worked:thumbup: I just shaved with the razor, and I inserted a blade without any difficulty! So, thanks again, Dunky:tongue_sm

Compaq

Thanks a lot, that method really worked:thumbup: I just shaved with the razor, and I inserted a blade without any difficulty! So, thanks again, Dunky:tongue_sm

Compaq
"Dunky?!" :blink:

Just kidding... call me anything but late for dinner! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm glad that worked for you, I had the same problem trying to figure out how to juggle all of that. Enjoy your new finds!

Old thread revival -----------I never seen the patent info' Arit.pat.nos", but "Brit.pat.nos' on the handle head area, is this a misprint?

Top Bottom