What's new

Who Makes Uber-Lather?

Who around here makes Uber-Lather? What's your recipe? What sort of things do you add to it? Are any additive's benificial in balancing/mitigating hard-water?
I've glimpsed references to these uber-lathers but I'm curios to hear what the various versions are.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l-522jNz6k[/YOUTUBE]

I like Thomas' video on uber lather. He's on the forum too!

All you need is glycerine to make "ubber-lather." Way too much work for me but it looks quite enjoyable.

Is glycerine easily available at a pharmacy like walgreens or something? I've been thinking about adding it to lather.

Is glycerine easily available at a pharmacy like walgreens or something? I've been thinking about adding it to lather.

Oh it's everywhere. Pharmacy's have it and if you look in the supermarket in the baking area they usually have it there for icing or frosting.......mmmmmmmmm frosting :drool::drool:

I make the first part of the lather normally with C&E Sandlewood soap. Then I add about a dimes worth of Kiss my face Lavender and Shea. The two fragrances are light and work well together. Ultra glide and enough lather for 3 passes easily probably double that. I add a bit of water to the lather and rinse my face with warm water between each pass. This keeps my face ready and thins the lather a little while keeping good protection...I think this helps me get closer to BBS? Since there is less and less stubble left after each pass I believe a different lather quality is needed each pass...maybe I am nuts though? All I know is I like it!

I make the first part of the lather normally with C&E Sandlewood soap. Then I add about a dimes worth of Kiss my face Lavender and Shea. The two fragrances are light and work well together. Ultra glide and enough lather for 3 passes easily probably double that. I add a bit of water to the lather and rinse my face with warm water between each pass. This keeps my face ready and thins the lather a little while keeping good protection...I think this helps me get closer to BBS? Since there is less and less stubble left after each pass I believe a different lather quality is needed each pass...maybe I am nuts though? All I know is I like it!

I might have to try that once I finish my TOBS Avacado. I started with C&E sandalwood, and although I like the aroma, the lather sucked for me. This might make it worthwhile for the remainder :thumbup:

So "uber lather" is the generic term for well Uber lather. I was dumb enough to go to the walgreens website and search for "uber lather" Too Funny! doh! I did a search for glycerin and I struck oil. After all this talk of Bigelow/proraso shaving cream I just might have to go pick some up...

I assume uber lather is generally done only with tallow based soaps, since glycerin would be redundant in most others?

That's what I do. I usually use Tabac, Cella, Speick, or Arko and then I do one pump from my KMF Unscented. I do it here in Texas because the water is super hard. When I lived in Washington state I never needed to.

I like the unscented because I still get the primary scent from my soap.

I've never felt the need to mix anything but water in with my soaps or creams.

+1

With so many great creams & soaps on offer, you should be able to find at least a couple that are to your liking.

ps I read someone recently 'superlathered' his Pen's cream...I nearly had a coronary.

I tried it a couple of times, and I used to superlather a lot, but lately I've just been concentrating on making the best possible shaving lather out of my soaps, water, a nice brush, and a little elbow grease.

Seems to be working out pretty well for me.

+1

With so many great creams & soaps on offer, you should be able to find at least a couple that are to your liking.

ps I read someone recently 'superlathered' his Pen's cream...I nearly had a coronary.

It's not that there aren't ones that I don't like. When I lived in Washington state I NEVER superlathered. I could whip up anything (even cheapo VDH) into a beautiful rich and creamy lather. Tabac and the other tallows also lathered unbelievably well. I came to West Texas, (where the water is so hard they make nails out of it) and after about 3 months of banging my head against the countertop trying to make a decent lather I started adding KMF or another glycerine to help the lather out a little.

It's not a matter of not knowing how to lather. I've been shaving with DE's and straights for over two years now. It's just that the water here is so bad you have to do something or even the best of soaps WILL NOT LATHER.

For the record, the water is so hard and there are so many minerals and other junk in it here that you cannot drink it....it will give you the sh*ts in a bad way. Not only that, but if you wash your car or dishes you have to immediately dry it of, or it will leave calcified hard water spots on everything.

It's not that there aren't ones that I don't like. When I lived in Washington state I NEVER superlathered. I could whip up anything (even cheapo VDH) into a beautiful rich and creamy lather. Tabac and the other tallows also lathered unbelievably well. I came to West Texas, (where the water is so hard they make nails out of it) and after about 3 months of banging my head against the countertop trying to make a decent lather I started adding KMF or another glycerine to help the lather out a little.

It's not a matter of not knowing how to lather. I've been shaving with DE's and straights for over two years now. It's just that the water here is so bad you have to do something or even the best of soaps WILL NOT LATHER.

For the record, the water is so hard and there are so many minerals and other junk in it here that you cannot drink it....it will give you the sh*ts in a bad way. Not only that, but if you wash your car or dishes you have to immediately dry it of, or it will leave calcified hard water spots on everything.
Same here....

Thanks for the great response guys. The water we have here is also extremely hard, and very alkaline (ph8) The two may be related... IDK... I've tried glycerine twice now, once with just cream, and once last night with Thomas' recipe. The glycerine made a huge difference! I didn't notice any improvement with cream/soap as opposed to just cream.
Has anyone ever added teatree oils or other benificial oils? (I'm thinking Tamanu oil here) Would it be redundant? Or kill the lather?

Last edited:
Another nice vid Thomas! I occassionally Uberlather for variety, but I'm a bit of a purist like Slag...usually dont mix :lol:

To each his own! Stuff looks like amazing shave lather!

I love the uberlather. I just add VDH, some cream from the body shop and a small bit a glycerin. It is like magic seeing that creamy slick goodness.

+ How many now... Yes, the glycerin trick does work. I picked up a bottle of pure liquid glycerin at CVS for like 4 bucks and it only takes a few drops.

I've used it with several creams (not a soap guy) and it literally makes your lather explode like a volcano. I note that several higher end creams inherently possess this quality, but what does a few extra drops of pure glycerin hurt? Even if it is redundant, at 4 bucks a bottle and only using 3-4 drops per shave, it's a miniscule investment to try something fun.

Go get some today!

Top Bottom