What's new

Chimensch's 30th Anniversary Shaving Video

This year I am celebrating 30 years of shaving with a straight. I thought that it would be fun to make a video, not to tell anyone how to do it but, rather, to show how I do it. So, here's my daily routine:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIM0Coix6Gg"]Chimensch's 30th Anniversary Shaving Video[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Thanks for sharing and congrats on your anniversary. We need more straight shaving videos for inspiration.

PS - I really like the sponge.

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Wonderful video. I think I learned how to shave in a couple angles I've been trying to figure out . . . if I can remember what you did. I like the sponge idea as well. I'm sorry I waited until I hit 50 to get started, and now almost two solid months in . . I hope to shave as well as you do soon.

Wonderful video. I think I learned how to shave in a couple angles I've been trying to figure out . . . if I can remember what you did. I like the sponge idea as well. I'm sorry I waited until I hit 50 to get started, and now almost two solid months in . . I hope to shave as well as you do soon.

Thanks, you've made my day! I started at age 32 and I still regret that I didn't start at 15.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
It took me a bit but I was able to see it!

Thanks for sharing, good video!

Very well done video. The guys trying to do tutorial videos could take some lessons from it. Good camera placement, In focus, clear, well edited. And of course skills with the razor I only hope I have after thirty years. Congratulations on the milestone.

Thanks for the video. I hope that I can eventually develop that level of skill in my shaving.

Mike

I like it.

Congratulations on the milestone Chimensch, I have 29 more years to go before I match it and I also regret not starting sooner.

Your sink must be reinforced to be able to support your "blackandwhiteceramic" scuttle, lol (man I want one of those!)

Last edited:
Why did you decide 30 years ago to begin shaving with a straight razor? How long did it take you to begin getting good, close shaves consistantly with the straight?

Mike

Nice video my friend! I'm 25 (started last year) hopefully I will still be SR shaving in 30 years!

Cheers,

JF

Why did you decide 30 years ago to begin shaving with a straight razor? How long did it take you to begin getting good, close shaves consistantly with the straight?

Mike

I was working for Xerox in downtown Chicago and every time I passed the window of Chicago Cutlery on Clark Street, I heard the straight razor calling my name. For me, it symbolized a connection with a concept of masculinity and the past that we were losing and I wanted to recapture. A way of connecting with past generations.

I had a rough start because the razor wasn't shave ready and I had to go back to the store a couple of times to ask for help before a customer overheard me and told me I needed a hone. After that, I really took to it like a duck to water. I would say that I was getting DFS's within a couple of weeks. However, I always had problem areas, like along the jaw line, until a couple of years ago. What made the difference was being exposed to a lot of different razors, hones and pastes. I've done a lot of experimenting and finally, last year, I found the perfect razor and the perfect way to hone it and everything began to fall into place. I think it will be easier for someone starting today, with all the Internet resources that I didn't have.

Nice vid, thanks!

Classy razors, and a classy wedding ring too.

I really like you technique--it's completely opposite of what I do. When I go WTG on my right side, I use my right hand, you seem to go the other way-right hand, left side....that's cool!:thumbup1:

Thanks again!

Top Bottom