What's new

Speik-ing of Shaving cream

I decided to pull the trigger on ordering some Speick a couple of days ago, and got it in the mail tonight (thanks to Phil at Bullgoose for the fast ship. I love that site!)...And I have to say that I am thoroughly disappointed. I was giddily excited about getting it so I built a test lather. I just couldn't wait.

While the lather it produced was magnificent, instead of the warm, spicy, masculine scent that everyone raves about, and which I was expecting, it turns out to be a just a lot of lavender:nonod:. I've seen people describe it as "heavenly" more than once; well, I don't know what heaven they believe in, but they can count me out.

I knew it contained lavender, but I expected the lavender to be a background note. That is definitely not the case; on the front of the box they even made sure to mention that they added extra. God, I hate lavender so much... It pains me to say, but I'm going to have to ditch the Speick unless it totally blows me away during tomorrow's shave.

On a side note the Speick AS splash that I ordered smells much nicer. Way less of the lavender. This makes me wonder if the Speick stick would have been the better choice.

Last edited:
I have had both the Speick stick and cream and they smell near identical IMO.

I decided to pull the trigger on ordering some Speick a couple of days ago, and got it in the mail tonight (thanks to Phil at Bullgoose for the fast ship. I love that site!)...And I have to say that I am thoroughly disappointed. I was giddily excited about getting it so I built a test lather. I just couldn't wait.

While the lather it produced was magnificent, instead of the warm, spicy, masculine scent that everyone raves about, and which I was expecting, it turns out to be a just a lot of lavender:nonod:. I've seen people describe it as "heavenly" more than once; well, I don't know what heaven they believe in, but they can count me out.

I knew it contained lavender, but I expected the lavender to be a background note. That is definitely not the case; on the front of the box they even made sure to mention that they added extra. God, I hate lavender so much... It pains me to say, but I'm going to have to ditch the Speick unless it totally blows me away during tomorrow's shave.

On a side note the Speick AS splash that I ordered smells much nicer. Way less of the lavender. This makes me wonder if the Speick stick would have been the better choice.

I was disappointed years ago. It irritates my face and since it's been the only product to do so, I was hugely disappointed. Lot's of folks are fortunate to be able to have it as a favorite.

+1 Lather like that is tougher to build with most other creams, and I love the lavender (and the price). To each his own, or something like that.

I haven't tried the shave cream yet, but love the shave stick. I really like the scent of all the Speick products... I catch a lot of lavender in the bath soap, but only get a hint of it in the shave stick, aftershave, cologne and deo stick...

I thought I'd do an update. I've shaved with Speick twice now, and I am really impressed. The strong lavender scent dissipates if I get my lather going before my shower, so I don't have to worry too much about it. Though I'm still not impressed with the scent I must say that I may have to keep this one around. :thumbup1:

On the front of this box? View attachment 88640 :confused:

Yeah, On the front of my box and the tube it says "With relaxing Lavender" and on the German side "Mit entspannendem Lavendel." They may have changed the packaging. The splash doesn't say anything about lavender though.

... Yeah, On the front of my box and the tube it says "With relaxing Lavender" and on the German side "Mit entspannendem Lavendel." They may have changed the packaging. The splash doesn't say anything about lavender though.

I know it's not on the front of my box or tube. In fact, until you posted this, I never even knew it had lavender in it!

I love Speick, but I would never describe it as being spicy; a bit peppery maybe (especially the EdC) but surely not "spicy".

I like the cream, but until recently I didn't enjoy the soap stick that much. This last weekend I milled it into a tub and this morning's shave was much better.
Ah, in case you were wondering: IMHO the soap's scent is not as strong as the cream's.

I'd have to say I'm a Speickaholic as I've loved every product I've tried. Though the scent isn't the same in each offering, they all seem to be solid performers at fair prices.

Top Bottom