What's new

New Standard ...

I decided to take a chance with a low bid on a razor I saw on eBay that looked to be only fairly tarnished and I thought it would clean up nicely. It came in the mail today and with the aluminum foil/baking soda trick and quite a bit of elbow grease with a metal polish, it turned out really nicely. Check out the before/after photos below ...

It has no cracks at all on the handle! The serial number is 647911A, which makes it from 1921 (if I'm reading the wiki correctly) and I think 1921 was the first year these were made. Can anybody confirm that? Also, I think I remember remember reading that this razor (the New Improved) is the same one that would have been available in the Bostonian or Richwood cases. Is this correct? The Richwood cases have really caught my eye and if I like the way this razor shaves, I may be on the lookout for a Richwood.

Okay ... enough typing ... time for some pictures ...

You have done a wonderful job resurecting that razor. I have one from 1921 and yes, I believe it was the first year for the switch. I find my new improved one of my best shavers.
Congratulations.

That is a nice one! Any cracks in the handle?

Nope. I asked the seller before buying it and they said there was not. I was still a bit leery as I had a similar purchase once on an Old Type that ended up having a small crack. This one is totally free of cracks. I was very excited about that.

Okay. Thanks for the confirmation. Does anybody know if one configuration (i.e. Bostonian, New Standard, Richwood) of the New Improved was more common/rare than the others?

Nice score!! Same as Richwood...you just need the box!:thumbup1:

Very beautiful, nice score and great work! They are great shavers, and perhaps one of the most beautiful razors Gillette ever produced.

I've got several cases waiting for these, need to pick some up. I have at least one unfilled New Standard case, two Bostonian and one Richwood cases, all in need of proper razors. I've been taking a break, but will get back in the hunt soon, and will heavily concentrate on this model for a bit.

BTW, I'm not really in the know, but just judging from the the cased examples I've seen over the last several months, I'd put the order of commonality as New Standard, Bostonian, then Richwood.

BTW, I'm not really in the know, but just judging from the the cased examples I've seen over the last several months, I'd put the order of commonality as New Standard, Bostonian, then Richwood.

Great! What you said was my assumption, but I wasn't quite sure as it seems like they always sell for about the same amount. I've not done a lot of research on these, but it seems like regardless of the case, they all sell for right about the same amount, which made me wonder if they were all equally common or not.

What did you use for polish? I personally really like and have had great results with neverdull!

I used a polish found at Wegmans (a grocery store that has everything). It is called Mr. Polish. It is the same stuff I used on the Gold Tuckaway listed in the BST with pretty great results as well. Check it out...

Great! What you said was my assumption, but I wasn't quite sure as it seems like they always sell for about the same amount. I've not done a lot of research on these, but it seems like regardless of the case, they all sell for right about the same amount, which made me wonder if they were all equally common or not.

I used a polish found at Wegmans (a grocery store that has everything). It is called Mr. Polish. It is the same stuff I used on the Gold Tuckaway listed in the BST with pretty great results as well. Check it out...

Nice! It looks great! I love polishing razors and seeing the results. I did a few last night. One is a silver tuckaway. It came out really nice!

Okay. Thanks for the confirmation. Does anybody know if one configuration (i.e. Bostonian, New Standard, Richwood) of the New Improved was more common/rare than the others?

Hi Brian,

As far as rarity I see fewer Richwoods then anything else and the price seems higher, maybe because of the wooden case. I think the Bostonian is the most common because the metal case lasts longer then either of the other two. This is just my opinion and experience of course.

Nice job on the razor.

Len

Congratulations! I have one also 1927 S/N 770277 but yours is in better condition especially the case. Don't know whether to sell mine or use it (small crack @ top of handle).

Top Bottom