What's new

Vintage American Pie or Sheffield Knock Off?

Got this in a lot of recently acquired blades. It was a pile of rust when I got it, but upon closer inspection I had an "aha" moment. This thing screams of vintage sheffield wedginess (as in a slice of pie), but its stamped "H. & J.W. King - 31 Beekman Street - New York. also has Horn scales, bullseye pins...all typical of vintage sheffield blades. Tail is also typical mid 1800's.

You can see the gring marks in the photo, not put there by me. They are pretty crude, so I am assuming that the blade at one point was re-ground, which lends to the fact/hope that this was originally a full wedge. Steel also looks and takes a shine like silver steel. I have done some polishing on the other side and it takes a great polish.

Would appreciate some input from the experts on this one. Perhaps this was an imported blade stamped with the US vendor, or perhapd one of the few and early blade makers in the US (of Sheffield descent). I did some research on vendors in NY around the mid 1800's and there was an iron works just down the street from this address, so perhaps a connection. Anyhow, IMO this one seems pretty unique and rare.

Photos to come when its done. Gonna make some horn scales and use the original pins.

Can't answer the question directly, but I have a blade stamped "MFR'D in England specially for H L G Co NY", so it wouldn't surprise me if others were doing the same thing without the reference to England.

awesome.

It makes sense that the early US razormakers were from sheffield, and so made sheffield-ish blades

"H. & J.W. King c. 1857-1876, Hezekiah King is listed in the New York City Directory beginning in 1857 at 86 John Street as an 'importer of hadrware & cutlery'. In 1865, the listing was H & J W King, 'Importers of English hardware, cutlery & guns' at 51 Beekman Street" (source: Goins)

It would appear that your razor is dated then between 1865 - 1876 and was indeed an import and I have to say it has Wade & Butcher written all over it. King obviously bought in sufficient numbers to have their 'own brand' - that's a nice piece and I am somewhat envious....................!

Last edited:
Awesome information, thanks a ton. I have finished my rough sanding and will start on the compounds this weekend, and order my horn....

Here are a couple of pics of the updated blade. Took a very nice shing. Still has some pitting around the spine that was pretty deep. Coming around thoug...and to think it was just a "flick" away from the scrap heap.

The last pic has an old brush restore next to it to give an idea of the polish. Can read it pretty good.

Scales in a couple of weeks.....

That's commendable but I think you should try to get a bit deeper on the nose to rid it of some more pits - the rust worm burrows deep and can live through more than you think!

I reckon that's going to look classy in dark horn scales!:001_tt1:

Peer pressure....peer pressure. Ok so I went back to the hand sanding and coumpounds...

Here is the finished product. Rambuttan wood with CA finish and the original bullseye pins.

Still a few small spots only on the *** near the spine. The rest of the blade is pretty much blemish free.

Gonna repost the before and after in the restoration page.

I especailly like the last pic, as the polish came out good enough to see the texture in the box it's reflecting.

Top Bottom