What's new

Discussion thread for Provence Sante Green Tea shaving soap review

This is one of two soaps that makes me wonder why I even bother with any other soaps and/or creams :confused: ...it's just that good. Pre' de' Provence is the other one.

Malik, that response is about as concise as any I've heard on the subject. I wholeheartedly agree. I love the AOS soaps. I am just recently introduced to them and they are spectacular. I love the D.R. Harris and Penhaligon's as well. All of them are top shelf. The Provence Sante is just as spectacular and the green tea variety is even better with my water. I also think it treats my skin even better than the verlain version and that is saying a lot since the verlain is one of my BEST soaps. Especially the feel after the shave. Very comforting. I am also quite pleased with the scent. The verlain is just too much for me with its powder/French perfume scent notes. It overwhelmed me with its sweetness when I first smelled it. After nearly two years of sitting out uncovered in its red ware bowl the scent has moderated a bit and is more tolerable to me. Still, I could never really say it has grown on me. Not so the green tea. I loved it from the second I smelled it. My only fear was that changing the scent components would also change the lather slightly. It did. And as I mentioned above, for the better! Way to go moderators. This was an unexpected but welcomed event for me.

Regards, Todd

I used this for the first time today. It is living in a 1 cup Glad storage container, slumming next to its brethren in wooden bowls. When I first got it, I thought that it was too powdery, but I have to say that I am a big fan of the scent, especially in lather. As my first Shea butter soap, I am left very impressed with the high quality slick, cushiony lather it delivered. The shave was very close and comfortable, even with the cartridge. Call me a fan.

Hi Bob. How did you find the condition of your skin after the shave? The Provence Sante soaps leave my skin feeling completely soothed. I have only gotten the slightest razor rash from them and then only a few times. It was always my fault as well. Shaving too fast, poor pre lather hot towel treatment, etc. When I do my part, they simply deliver.

Regards, Todd

Todd,

My skin felt great. I'm stuck with the cartridges on a regular basis, and when I get into a second week, it can get a little rough. Not today, though. No burn or irritation, not a nick or weeper in sight, and it felt very moisturized. It felt very similar to what I get with MWF and Valobra, my two most protective soaps.

I am a little disappointed... that I only bought one! This has moved to the front of my rotation. I have been using only this for the last week or so and I really enjoy it. It lathers great for me and I love the scent. I have it in an old spice mug and leave it on the counter so the whole bathroom smells like this soap. When I head back east to visit the family for thanksgiving it will be making the trip with me.

I managed to get one of these sent to me by a very kind B&B member.

Had my first shave with this tonight and it is going to be used every day this week.

First impression is that it is very good soap. Lathers on a par with 'old' Blenheim Bouquet and the scent is nice and understated.

Looking forward to a full week of use.

I find the performance identical to the regular scented Provence Sante - it gives an excellent shave.

When I first opened the puck it was quite fragrant. The smell has subsided considerably in the first week of use. It smells less sweet than the regular scent. If you like soaps that have a very mild scent you will like this.

I still have yet to use mine. I should, however, be receiving an order from Sue containing several empty Mama Bear tubs and stick containers. I will be putting one in a tub, and have grated one to make a green tea shave stick :001_smile

If you don't feel like waiting any longer, Walmart has some Pyrex glass bowls with red plastic covers that are almost perfectly sized for the PS pucks.

I have no complaints about this soap so far. It lathers well and gives me a good, slick shave! The scent appeals to me and as noted, the scent has lightened up considerably after I started using the soap. I'll keep it in my rotation until I use it up.

I'm loving this stuff so far. One of the best shavers in my rotation. The scent is powdery and dry which is very nice. I feel that the green tea is classy and is something I use when I want to go out for a nice evening. Everyone should get a puck!

This stuff is sick. My brush just looks at it and it lathers. Dang it lathers easy. My g/f never using a soap puck like this used it to my surprise and fell in love with.

I have been completely won over by this soap. I was fighting redness, burning, and tightness for weeks and changing everything I could and got nowhere. I simplified and stopped the pre-shave shower and whole hot-towel/lather prep routine, and just soaked my face with warm water. I stopped all the post shave routine as well. I had to find out why I couldn't shave without my cheeks getting flame red.

Anyway, I used just the Provence Sante Green Tea for 10 shaves in a row with my new routine, Feather or Crystal, open comb and closed comb razors - and the whole redness thing went away. If I try to use a cream, I get redness (Musgo Real was punishment). Tabac and Proraso, great lather, but they cause some redness. Witch Hazel Toner and Clubman Talc help, but with the PSGT, I don't need anything.

I'm done, I've ordered more of the Green Tea soap, Pre de Provence, and Institut Karite. These shea butter soaps, with the extra glycerine, are just magic......at least that been my mileage.

Shhhhhh .....This soap has no tallow in it

which is OK by me. Tallow soaps are great but it's not a requirement of mine. I want a soap that smells good and works well. This is one of those soaps, at a pretty decent price too!

....I'm done, I've ordered more of the Green Tea soap, Pre de Provence, and Institut Karite. These shea butter soaps, with the extra glycerine, are just magic......at least that been my mileage.

I got a puck of the IK soap from WCS in the same order as the Green Tea, and I couldn't agree with you more. The shea butter soaps are pretty outstanding. Honey Bee Spa soaps are also shea butter based, IIRC, and may give you a few more inexpensive options.

I like tallow as much as the next guy, but it's most definitely not a required ingredient for a soap to be good.

Top Bottom