What's new

How to: Shave and Travel

Theres often discussion about what to do when you travel with this wee hobby of ours, and given ive been searching for the perfect travel kit, I thought I would share some of my thoughts.

For me, I split the travel kit down to its key parts. The razor, the Brush, the Product, the Aftershaves, the Scents, the Rest.

For me, the razor is the easy bit - theyre all about as big as each other, and while I wouldnt take a toggle, or a very fancy straight, theres no reason not to take one of your common favourites.

Brushes is a bit trickier, theyre expensive - but they make a huge difference to the lather and enjoyment of the shave. Reknotted brushes are fantastic value, so theyre a good choice. Turnbacks are a complete novelty, theyre not needed at all. I do, however, love them. The whole point of wetshaving is the luxury of it (apart from the better shaves, of course), and theres nothing more luxurious than having a brush you only use when youre traveling. A good turnback can always be used at home though, and ill definately get another one.

The products are easy - shave sticks. Personally ive more than I can count (easily more than 10), theyre so easy to take with you, and cheap too! Creams in tubes are good too, especially if you dont have much left in the tube so you can roll it on itself and it takes up less room.

Aftershaves are easy to decant into little bottles you can buy or scrounge. One of swmbos lip balm tubs, once washed out, can hold a fair bit of asb.

The scents - samples! I also have some small atomizers I decant my favourite scents into for travel. A word on samples generally - lets not abuse them. Getting samples for free is great, but if theyre abused then they may dry up completely. Luckily the bigger companies sell (at super reasonable prices) samples of their entire range that can be used.

The Rest... I always take a bottle opener, its great to have and very handy. A nice dopp kit is completely unnecessary, but good to have. I got mine at fossil and I love it. Cotton buds for the ear are always handy, as are sewing kits.

Option 1 - "The dont care".
  • The Razor
    • Cheap Cartridge
  • The Brush
    • None
  • The Product
    • None
  • The Aftershaves
    • None
  • The Scents
    • None

Just shave in the shower using free hotel soap - not great shaves, but its easy as you just put the razor in an empty pouch of your bag.

View attachment 72709

Option 2 - "The gettin' it done"
  • The Razor
    • A razor you wont miss
  • The Brush
    • A cheapie you wont miss
  • The Product
    • Some samples
  • The Aftershaves
    • Something cheap decanted into a little bottle
  • The Scents
    • A couple of free samples

This would probably be the most common one, its small and easy to take. If you lose it no big deal. Problem is that with only a little more kit the shaves are so much better.

View attachment 72710

Option 3 - "The efficient luxury"
  • The Razor
    • Any Razor from you den
  • The Brush
    • A brush in a toilet paper roll/pill box
  • The Product
    • Some samples, maybe some sticks
  • The Aftershaves
    • Some more samples
  • The Scents
    • Would you believe some samples?

This is a good one for the odd overnight. Some good stuff, pretty small, can fit inside a shoe!

View attachment 72711

Option 4 - "The Oppulent Traveller"
  • The Razor
    • One of your favourites
  • The Brush
    • A turnback
  • The Product
    • A stick or three
  • The Aftershaves
    • A couple of samples or decants (you need choice)
  • The Scents
    • Free samples, and your favourites in little bottles

This is my favourite one - a couple of days of shaving bliss!

View attachment 72712

Option 5 - "The Kitchen Sink"
  • The Razor
    • A small cross section of the den
  • The Brush
    • A turnback (or two), of course
  • The Product
    • A selection of shave sticks
    • Some creams if thats your thing
  • The Aftershaves
    • A few of your premier aftershaves in small or sample size
  • The Scents
    • Your favourite scents, decanted into atomizers
  • Perhaps some samples too

When only the best can do (perhaps this is what gillette talks about when they carry on about 'the best a man can get'). Seems silly? Laugh away, but ive used it and its great. A den fit for a king - feel superior knowing your den is bigger than many a newbies den.

View attachment 72713

Cheers guys!

REMEMBER - NO DE BLADES OR STRAIGHTS ARE ALLOWED ON FLIGHTS. THE TSA WILL TAKE THEM.

2 turnbacks is overkill Marcus. :biggrin:

Otherwise fantastic breakdown. I think my travel den generally falls between getting it done and efficient luxury these days since I mostly travel by car I can bring as much or as little ads I like.

I've not needed to take a shave kit on a plane just yet but I will soon enough.

Mate - ive got my eye on a new super major, too. Three turnbacks is probably justifiable

Great post:biggrin:

I tend to go with Option 3 - "The efficient luxury"

Travel brush in a tube, soap stick/cream, travel razor or one of the others, WH and AS balm.

Nice post, but an edit is needed. The TSA won't allow straights or DE blades in carry on luggage. They are otherwise allowed on flights in checked luggage.

Don't forget brushless creams.

My travel setup consists of a Sensor and a travel tube filled with KMF.

Occasionally, you can also find small tubes of Alba that are great for travel.

Nice post, but an edit is needed. The TSA won't allow straights or DE blades in carry on luggage. They are otherwise allowed on flights in checked luggage.

Good point. Can you bring a disposable razor (like a one-blade Bic) in your carry-on luggage "just in case" your checked luggage gets lost ?

Excellent job, Marcus.

As an alternative to the toilet paper roll, I wrap the brush in a dry paper towel and place into an unsealed sandwich bag.

Yup, thanks to the TSA, you can carry a cartridge razor in your carry on, so that's what goes in mine. The main part of my shave gear now goes in my checked luggage, a favorite Tech with Derby blades in an old beat up ABC case, my Omega Badger in an oversized prescription bottle, an Avon ASB in tube and VDH soap in a screw top plastic jar. Works pretty good so far. Oh the Swiss army knife is in the checked kit too.

Thanks for the post. Much appreciated. I never thought about the whole not being able to tke the blades on a flight.

Very Nice!

"A stick or three" - I love it :001_smile

Thanks for the toilet roll cardboard tube advice! Will come in very useful in future.

A am still putting my kit together, I have the Merkur travel DE - it travels very small, and I like the case of the Wilkinson Sward soap - the lid doubles as a lather bowl.

I am still trying to figure out travelling with DE blades... I won't travel them in my razor, do you reuse them if you travel to several different cities?
Also how do you deal with blade disposal - I have the plastic derby case, but am nervous about the blades slipping out during travel.

This is a fantastic post! I travel all the time internationally and spend a disproportionate amount of time strategizing my shaving kit, even for a short trip. For a while I was bringing an empty HD and hoping I could find DE blades in a local drug store after I arrived, but I have given up on this (not always reliable) and now just bring an old Gilette Sensor with extra cartridges. But everything else (brush, cream, aftershave, cologne) needs to be top quality-No matter how jet-lagged or tired I am there is nothing like a great shave to help me operate at (something close to) 100%!

holy crap! Some of those last sets were amazing... couldn't imagine traveling with that much stuff.

I had to go on my first trip since I've been shaving with a DE. For shaving, I had the following:

• VDH boar's hair brush (I only have one badger, and didn't want to risk losing it)
  • Parker 96R (since destroyed)
  • small spray bottle of dickinson's witch hazel
  • proraso in a tube (big tube... while I was out there I got a couple of the smaller c.o. bigelow tubes)
  • small tube of burt's bees ASB (had never tried it before... it was alright, I guess)
  • styptic pencil (you know... just in case :wink: )

Top Bottom