What's new

Jaguar boar brushes

Just a little boar brush pr0n, for those who are into that sort of thing. :biggrin:

Got these two at the big outdoor market here in Skopje from the one stall that sells them. I believe they're Turkish. Since there isn't a whole lot of info on the internet about them, here are a couple of pics and some specs:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Smaller brush (no. 117/24): 120mm height, 60mm loft, 22mm knot
Larger brush (no. 2002): 145mm height, 70mm loft, 26mm knot

Wooden handles, nicely weighted. Hand-packed, so no trimmed tips.

Both smelled pretty funky at first, but I found it noteworthy that after soaking them in near-boiling water, shampooing the heck out of them, and using both a couple of times, a grand total of exactly one bristle has fallen out between the two. This seemed to lend credence to what the kiosk salesman said - that these were good for "at least 10 years". Great performance from both so far, though the larger brush tends to make much more lather than I need for 2-3 passes.

Also: I gently used a hairdryer on these during the shampooing/cleaning process, and the tips are splitting beautifully. They're both soft as can be, now, and I'm seriously questioning whether or not I'll be keeping my two Vulfix superbadgers.
proxy.php

I'm working out an arrangement with northpaw on getting some shipped to the US. PM me if you're interested, so we can save on shipping and save him some trouble.

They're currently available on amazon.com through a reseller -- it looked like they ranged from about $8 to $15 plus shipping.

They're currently available on amazon.com through a reseller -- it looked like they ranged from about $8 to $15 plus shipping.

Yeah, I found that out myself last night. We'll see. Either way, I'm going to try to get one of these. :biggrin:

Cool! I didn't realize they were on Amazon. Looks like there are more varieties there, too.

As I mentioned to Slade xTekno, I haven't personally had a chance to try any of the well-known "good" boar hair brushes, so I really don't know how these Jaguars would compare. That said, they absolutely annihilate my two Vulfix superbadger brushes in every regard: face-lathering, bowl-lathering, soaps, creams, etc. I was super impressed this morning with the lather I got from some Musgo Real cream. Almost ran out to show the wife. :lol:

Flyfisherman: I think I paid something like $9 for the smaller brush and $12 for the larger one. As shipping to the states from here could easily double that price (not to mention unexplicably taking up to two months sometimes), I'd recommend going through Amazon. (Disclaimer: I'm not the seller on Amazon.)

I think I paid something like $9 for the smaller brush and $12 for the larger one. As shipping to the states from here could easily double that price (not to mention unexplicably taking up to two months sometimes), I'd recommend going through Amazon. (Disclaimer: I'm not the seller on Amazon.)

Duly noted. Thanks.

I emailed the seller, Derby International, on Amazon and they sent me a copy of their catalog. In it, you can see the relative sizes of the brushes they sell. I wonder if I can attach a PDF to a post...

Also, with the recent increase of Semogue brush prices at Vintage Scent, Jaguar may be the new budget boar brush of choice over the 1305.

Mine are still impressing me to no end. After a week of using exclusively the smaller one, it still hasn't lost a single bristle. Still smells a little funky, but it's almost worth it to be able to hold it down near my cat while he's asleep and see the scent jerk him awake. :biggrin:

Mine are still impressing me to no end. After a week of using exclusively the smaller one, it still hasn't lost a single bristle. Still smells a little funky, but it's almost worth it to be able to hold it down near my cat while he's asleep and see the scent jerk him awake. :biggrin:

That poor cat! :lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, boar tends to be a bit funky for a few days. Just keep using it. It should dissipate eventually. Strongly scented soaps and creams help. Just FYI. :wink:

I soaked my Semogue 2000 in green apple scented conditioner for 5 hours and there is just a hint of funk remaining.

I may have to check out the Jaguars also; the boars are so reasonably priced that it is very easy to collect many.

marty

I just received a new Semogue 1520 today. I soaked it and test lathered over 7 times. Each time I soaked it it would turn the water a bit yellow. After the first three test lathers, when I squeezed out the lather it would come out grey out of the middle of the brush. Some brushes just have a bunch of funk to wash out.

Top Bottom