What's new

Sauces- The humble Ketchup/catsup/catchup

Yep, humble as it may be, its origins were as an English fish sauce, some recipes go back as far as the 17th century.

Here is a fast and easy recipe thats a good base for experimenting or BBQ sauce making.

• 4 cups tomato paste (homemade works great from that bumper crop)
  • 3 cups white vinegar
  • 1 2/3 cups brown sugar
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
  • 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons dry mustard
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon toasted and ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Combine in pot and bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer for 30 minutes.
A stick blender is a helpful aid in emulsifying the ingredients.

Enjoy!

B&B sauce depository

Eastern Carolina Vinegar based BBQ sauce

The humble Ketchup/catsup/catchup

Sauces- Kansas City style BBQ

Sauces- South Carolina Mustard based BBQ sauce

Sauces- Piedmont region BBQ sauce

Sauces- Northwestern region of North Carolina

Sauces- Orange BBQ Sauce

Sauces- The mysterious white BBQ sauce

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
That sounds fantastic, and I'm going to give it a whirl. I've made ketchup before, but I'm pretty much in the "ketchup is a problem solved by the Heinz Corporation many years ago" camp.

Home made sauces are cool- steak sauce, hot sauce, bbq sauce, duck sauce......

Yep, humble as it may be, its origins were as an English fish sauce, some recipes go back as far as the 17th century.

Here is a fast and easy recipe thats a good base for experimenting or BBQ sauce making.

• 4 cups tomato paste (homemade works great from that bumper crop)
  • 3 cups white vinegar
  • 1 2/3 cups brown sugar
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
  • 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons dry mustard
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon toasted and ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Combine in pot and bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer for 30 minutes.
A stick blender is a helpful aid in emulsifying the ingredients.

Enjoy!

For once, a recipe for which I have all the ingredients...I may have to try this one. :biggrin:

Who knew that so many ingredients went into ketchup? Tho, just the thought of it on fish makes me a bit queasy.

Who knew that so many ingredients went into ketchup? Tho, just the thought of it on fish makes me a bit queasy.

I can see ketchup on a fried fish sandwich, but otherwise, probably not so much (although cocktail sauce seems to be, more or less, ketchup with horseradish, and I certainly like that on shellfish).

I can see ketchup on a fried fish sandwich, but otherwise, probably not so much (although cocktail sauce seems to be, more or less, ketchup with horseradish, and I certainly like that on shellfish).

I often mix ketchup and mayonnaise to make a sauce for salmon and steelhead.

That ketchup recipe looks a lot like a BBQ sauce recipe that I have. It uses almost all of those ingredients plus ketchup and some other stuff.

Mom and I used it as a base sauce one night and doctored it up. The trouble was, we were drinking Martinis and didn't write down what we did. Too bad, because it was the best BBQ sauce I'll ever taste and we couldn't ermember what we did. I still remember the taste...

What exactly is chili sauce?

Think ketchup that is the consistancy of Salsa. At least that is how my mom has made it for years. I don't know exactly what her recipe is but it is similar to the one listed at the top of the thread Less the stick blender

Top Bottom