What's new

DO they shave badgers for the hair if not why not?

Badgers are protected in most places around the world, I assume they kill them for their pelts. Would the fur grow back like sheep wool? Tranquilizer obviously needed but it would be a sustainable resource no?

Badgers are protected in most places around the world, I assume they kill them for their pelts. Would the fur grow back like sheep wool? Tranquilizer obviously needed but it would be a sustainable resource no?

Badger hair comes from China, where the animal is not protected, and apparently so plentiful as to be a nuisance.

Not to mention that they eat them in China as well, so the hairs are a nice by-product for our brushes.

If you do a bit of searching there are some threads where members emailed various brushmakers about the source of their hair

(but like the guys have said already, from china where they eat badger anyway)

I have bathed a cat a couple times, it was unpleasant enough for all parties involved...I don't want to try shaving a badger. I imagine that would be a high turn over job...

Foreman: Hi Bob, welcome to the badger ranch. You'll be with "Nubs" today. He's been around a while and can show you the ropes.

Bob: How long have you been here Nubs?

Nubs: Two weeks!

It would be interesting to compare the hands of the average machinist to to the hands of a badger wrangler though.

By the way they don't look like the badgers we know of in Europe and N.America they resemble weasels in body shape and size.

I'd hate to try and wrestle one of those bad boys to shave him!
The outcome would be Badger 1 shaver -0

Just my .02 worth

Not sure but this could be one reason.....:tongue_sm

proxy.php

Also interesting to note that badger brushes first came into use in the 1750's. As an observation this is about the same time in history when firearms were becoming more prevalent. Coincidence?

Last edited:
Badgers are not sedated and shaved. There is a video on the web that is sickening, courtesy of PETA.
Sue

Badgers are not sedated and shaved. There is a video on the web that is sickening, courtesy of PETA.
Sue

If you are referring to a video that erupted here a couple of years back, then that proved to involve a critter that was not a badger, rather something that looked similar. It was a video that was meant to shock people.

Shaving brush manufacturers have been mum about their sources of badger hair, even when asked directly.

By the way they don't look like the badgers we know of in Europe and N.America they resemble weasels in body shape and size.
Actually, the badger used for brushes is the one found in Europe. It's called the Eurasian badger because its range extends from Britain to Japan. The N.American badger is the one that's different.

The badger below is the American badger.... While I can see how a European (Eurasian) badger can possibly be farmed (they're pretty gregarious) and shaved, there is no way hell that you could do that with the American badger.

BTW, I'm not saying that Eurasian badgers are farmed and shaved, though some have made that claim.

Not sure but this could be one reason.....:tongue_sm
proxy.php

Last edited:
The finest badger hair is collected by the jolly Badger Hair Fairy, as it naturally falls from the badgers as they age. The jolly Badger Hair Fairy sings lustily as he picks up the precious strands that fall to the forest floor. In exchange for the gift of badger hair, the jolly Badger Hair Fairy treats the balding badgers with minoxidil, restoring the older badgers to a proud, hirsute state.

When the dignified old badger finally goes to his reward, the remaining hair is harvested by a bevy of lovely young women, who tearfully sing the praises of the old departed badger as they tenderly pluck the body of the dearly departed. This becomes best badger, except for the hairs that are touched by the tears of the mourning nymphs, these special hairs become silver badger.

Boars, on the other hand, are waterboarded with Lilac Vegetal, clubbed and shorn with hedge clippers.

If you are referring to a video that erupted here a couple of years back, then that proved to involve a critter that was not a badger, rather something that looked similar. It was a video that was meant to shock people.

That was a raccoon-dog wich is a canid. P. Diddy got a lot of flack a while back because some of his clothing line was using raccoon-dog fur.

Top Bottom