What's new

My first loss

I've successfully removed the knots from about 8 brushes so far. Today I was working on an Ever Ready, as soon as I inserted the drill into the knot the entire handle shattered. It looks like it had a really thin plastic shell over plaster. The fur seemed to be glued into a thin plastic cup, which was glued to the plaster, not very well as it snapped into pieces as well. Any thoughts on how this could have been prevented? It's by far the cheapest materials I've seen in a brush, any idea if that signifies a more recent product?

Can you give us some images of the brush in its current state so we can see the type?

Remember that the Ever Ready name went away around 40-50 years ago when ASR consolidated all of its traditional shaving items under the Burma Shave brand due to the dominance of canned shaving cream.

I had a Solid Set that was like that. It was a thin plastic over a plaster. I was lucky, though. The bottom was broken, so I was able to soak the brush in water. The plaster just dissolved. I agree - can you post a couple pictures? That would really help.

Here's a pic. There were actually a bunch of smaller chips that came off as well, but you'll see the idea.

$photo.jpg

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I've successfully removed the knots from about 8 brushes so far. Today I was working on an Ever Ready, as soon as I inserted the drill into the knot the entire handle shattered. It looks like it had a really thin plastic shell over plaster. The fur seemed to be glued into a thin plastic cup, which was glued to the plaster, not very well as it snapped into pieces as well. Any thoughts on how this could have been prevented? It's by far the cheapest materials I've seen in a brush, any idea if that signifies a more recent product?

Sometimes this happens, had a couple of these "accidents" myself.

Here's a pic. There were actually a bunch of smaller chips that came off as well, but you'll see the idea.

View attachment 290604

Many of the Bakelites and plastics were reinforced with plaster to make them heavy but it also causes issues as you have seen. The thing is the brush makers did not make these with 21st Century restorations in mind.

I have had one go south due to heat treatment. The plaster inside expanded caused distortion and ruined the handle.

I've also had this happen with some thin walled plastic brushes. I think many of the early plastics grow quite brittle with age and sometimes this is simply unavoidable.

I had the same thing happen on the same exact handle. I have done over 30 restores and that was the only time it happened to me. I loved the handle and was looking forward to setting my TGN finest in it. I am keeping a eye out for the handle again, I want to give it another shot to see if I can get it right this time.

I had the same thing happen on the same exact handle. I have done over 30 restores and that was the only time it happened to me. I loved the handle and was looking forward to setting my TGN finest in it. I am keeping a eye out for the handle again, I want to give it another shot to see if I can get it right this time.

I really liked It too, heavy, beautiful color. Have any other ideas for getting the knot out? I hardly touched it and it shattered...

Top Bottom