What's new

A pictorial homage to Simpson's Chubby 3

But I did anyway. So I inquired about a Chubby 3 from a well-know B&B vendor several months ago and he replied "To me, and again this is only personal preference, there's not much point to Chubby unless you get the broadest, flattest, shortest-lofted ones; that's what makes a Chubby a Chubby. So #2's the call in that regard, but #3's the most ideally flat atop it, but with those extra ~3mm of hair length (unfortunately we can't know if they were both set the same depth, Simpsons buys hairs in various lengths) I'd choose 2, but I'm sure 3 would do a great job of touching my face all at once." I love the snark at the end.

He went on " I think CH3's on of the least practical brushes ever made, but CH2 isn't really practical, either, and it is your life; there's a huge difference between 28mm and 30mm+, all those extra emm emms are on the outside of that circle and that's a hell of a lot more hairs, probably more than is in an entire "S1B", for example. We have a tiny group of 'dead enders' whom always buy the huge stuff from us...you're a small but fervent minority."

This really made me laugh out-loud and I love his honesty. He was trying to talk me out of a $$$ purchase...I want vendors like that...and I appreciate a man with opinions & conviction. My CH3 has been out on tour for a bit and I got her back on Friday. So I did a face lather with some Castle Forbes in the shower this afternoon. This brush feels absolutely luxurious on your face, no scritch whatsoever, just a wonderfully soft massage as your build the lather. Really fantastic.

$IMG_1701.jpg

...So I inquired about a Chubby 3 from a well-know B&B vendor several months ago and he replied:

"To me, and again this is only personal preference, there's not much point to a Chubby...

He went on " I think CH3's one of the least practical brushes ever made, but CH2 isn't really practical, either... ...

We have a tiny group of 'dead enders' whom always buy the huge stuff from us...you're a small but fervent minority."

There must be a fine line between honesty and insulting your customers.

I'm one of those "dead enders" your vendor referred to. I believe "The in praise of large brushes" thread illustrates that the "dead enders" might not be such a tiny group. Besides, I would have thought a minority group's money would be as good as any other group, especially when they are the group prepared to fork out the big bucks on the big priced, big brushes...

I'm happy that you took his words as constructive, I would have shopped elsewhere...

Now that I've had my rant, congratulations on your reunion with your beautiful, big brush.

EDIT: I trust my honesty will also be appreciated as passionate conviction and that my opinion is also welcomed. I can appreciate that the vendor was only trying to assist, but having worked in retail (a very long time ago) I was of the mind set that the customer is always right (even when they're not).

Last edited:
This brush feels absolutely luxurious on your face, no scritch whatsoever, just a wonderfully soft massage as your build the lather.

View attachment 239795

Thanks for sharing. Stark contrast to my experience with the CH 3 ES, which exhibited quite a bit of scritch. Given the experiences of many with the new Manchurian, I'm expecting that the CH 3 ES will soften with further use.

and this beauty....

Attachments

• $$(KGrHqNHJCcE9uH+LSh3BPl(iMiTsw~~60_58.jpg
    $$(KGrHqNHJCcE9uH+LSh3BPl(iMiTsw~~60_58.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 327
  • $$(KGrHqJHJDQE92O7FilDBPl(il,b(Q~~60_58.jpg
    $$(KGrHqJHJDQE92O7FilDBPl(il,b(Q~~60_58.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 327
I trust my honesty will also be appreciated as passionate conviction and that my opinion is also welcomed. I can appreciate that the vendor was only trying to assist, but having worked in retail (a very long time ago) I was of the mind set that the customer is always right (even when they're not).

Oh yes, absolutely. There is no question that what I took as some rather hilarious banter might well have offended others. Im delighted to have this particular vendor tell me what he actually thinks not just what is necessary to make the sale. This openness has kept me from making some rather costly mistakes over the years. There are some things where personal preferences are all important & brushes fall into that category.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Ben, could you kindly post a couple of close-up shots of your Somerset era CH3's, please? If I remember well many of these had lovely rosy pink Ivory handles, is this correct?

Ben, could you kindly post a couple of close-up shots of your Somerset era CH3's, please? If I remember well many of these had lovely rosy pink Ivory handles, is this correct?

That's true Marco, I'll take some close up pics to illustrate the colour difference and post them soon.

In the mean time...

$Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 1.31.25 PM.jpg $Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 1.31.43 PM.jpg

I don't own a Chubby 3, and probably (most likely - never say never though) will never get to own one, but a member from in here posted this pic of a beautiful oldish butterscotch Chubby 3 along his Aqua Di Parma and his Feather DE razor - and I really think the picture was a beauty, so hope it's OK for me to post his pic in this thread:
FYI I do own the shaving cream and the razor + stand though - but not the exact species in the picture :em2300:

$IMG_0770.JPG

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Thank you for the close-up pics, Ben. By the way, the knot on your 3 band Super looks fantastic!

Just beautiful, the tulip used to be my favorite simpson shape but I think I'm changing my mind.
Once again, these comparison shots underscore the elegance of the old somerset handle style compared to the newer "robotic" vulfix handles (IMO). hmm maybe it's time to call on mr. vey again...

+ 1, DrP's collection is unmatched, but here's my desktop wallpaper:

View attachment 241245

Just beautiful, the tulip used to be my favorite simpson shape but I think I'm changing my mind.
Once again, these comparison shots underscore the elegance of the old somerset handle style compared to the newer "robotic" vulfix handles (IMO). hmm maybe it's time to call on mr. vey again...

Bill, the Tulip is certainly a beautifully shaped handle. I have sizes 1 through 4. I find it more ergonomically styled than the Chubby and the lip around the base is truly functional keeping the lather on the hair and not the handle. That said, there is a certain "je ne sais quoi" to be found with the big, dense Chubby!

Top Bottom