What's new

Working through my sampler pack, part 2

I got through my sampler pack using a pair of Super Speeds, a 56 flare tip and my dad's 59 blue tip along with a Tech that I started out with, and decided that in those razors, I like Derby Extras, Crystals, and Red Pack Personnas, and I really like Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless...

Today I started back through my sampler pack, using the H2 Slim I recently acquired. I'm planning to go through the whole thing again, one brand at a time, using the Slim, after which I'll do the same with my D4 Fat Boy. Today was the Merkur blade. I did a 3 WTG pass shave, first pass on 3, second on 4, and third on 5. Result: pretty nice shave, but not especially comfortable at any setting. There was some dragging, which could have been the blade or the razor setting; I don't think it was lather-related. I'll know more once I do the same or something similar with a different brand of blade. I ended up with one small nick that I attribute to pilot error, and some irritation that quickly went away and that I attribute to maybe turning the razor up too high (third pass on 5. It was also on this pass that I got the nick)...

First impressions of the Slim/Merkur combo: I still don't especially like Merkur blades, but they'll do in a pinch. I'm finding I do like the handling characteristics of the Slim, especially for shaving underneath my beak, but for the nonce I'll probably limit it to turning up to 4 at the most; 5 may be too aggressive for my tender hide at this point. I found in the previous test that the Merkurs are a two-day blade for me, as opposed to three days on most other brands I tried. I will probably change to a different brand after the second day based on past experience...

Yesterday was Day 2 on the Slim/Merkur combo, and I'm now firmly convinced that the Merkurs are a last-ditch, ain't got no other blades idea whose time has not yet come, at least as far as my face is concerned. Three pass WTG shave, Slim set on 3 for the first pass, 4 for the next two; the shave was not especially comfortable right from the get-go, though it was close when finished. I also had some razor burn to contend with, which has gone away today...

Today, I switched to Derby Extra in the Slim, and this is a decided improvement over the Merkur blade. Today is a work day, so I only had time for a two pass shave, which is what I normally do on work days. To make the test relatively equal, the first pass was with the Slim on 3, second pass on 4;the shave was comfortable, and accomplished every bit as much with two passes as the Merkur did with three...

I do like the Slim's handling characteristics. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the blades in the pack shake out. After the results I had with my Super Speeds, I'm especially looking forward to the 7 o'clock green Super Stainless...

I'm now firmly convinced that the Merkurs are a last-ditch, ain't got no other blades idea whose time has not yet come, at least as far as my face is concerned.

To add insult to injury, the Merkur blades are fairly expensive. I am not a fan of them either.

I, also, had some pretty bad experiences with Merkur blades....luckily, mine came with some razor purchases, so I didn't TECHNICALLY pay for them.

Day two on the Slim/Derby combo was better than day one. I got a closer shave in less time than yesterday, and zero irritation. I think I may be getting the hang of the Slim, and I'm liking this razor a lot so far...

Day two on the Slim/Derby combo was better than day one. I got a closer shave in less time than yesterday, and zero irritation. I think I may be getting the hang of the Slim, and I'm liking this razor a lot so far...

Are you using a regular slim or a slim adjustable?

Yesterday was Day 2 on the Slim/Merkur combo, and I'm now firmly convinced that the Merkurs are a last-ditch, ain't got no other blades idea whose time has not yet come, at least as far as my face is concerned. Three pass WTG shave, Slim set on 3 for the first pass, 4 for the next two; the shave was not especially comfortable right from the get-go, though it was close when finished. I also had some razor burn to contend with, which has gone away today...

Today, I switched to Derby Extra in the Slim, and this is a decided improvement over the Merkur blade. Today is a work day, so I only had time for a two pass shave, which is what I normally do on work days. To make the test relatively equal, the first pass was with the Slim on 3, second pass on 4;the shave was comfortable, and accomplished every bit as much with two passes as the Merkur did with three...

I do like the Slim's handling characteristics. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the blades in the pack shake out. After the results I had with my Super Speeds, I'm especially looking forward to the 7 o'clock green Super Stainless...

My only experience with the Merkur was the one that came with my HD. I hated it; it pulled and dragged from the get-go. I've found that the Gillette adjustables are now my favorite razors, no matter which blade I use. The Fat Boy and Slim adjustable are terrific. I've tried a Derby in a Super Speed and gotten an "okay" shave, but used the same blade in my Fat Boy (set to 5) and gotten a great shave. And as you said, the Slim has great handling characteristics (especially under the nose).

I'm working my blade hopefuls through a "Slim" rite now as well. I can't quote it exactly but I read somewhere on the B&B that the goal with an adjustable is to find the lowest setting that gives a great shave and not to find the highest setting that we can tolerate. With that in mind I just finished my Feather blade trial and found set @ 3 was best. Awesome shave! Crystal @4. AwesomeR! Today I start a Red IP.

Day three, Slim/Derby, another very nice shave. I'm finding that the Derby blades are a good all around blade, at least so far. Tomorrow I'll go to the Crystal, which I liked very much in my Super Speeds...

I'am also a big fan of the red pack personnas and the personna blades in general.
Red packs for $0.17 per blade
Shave soap for $1.00 a puck
Gillette SS from the second hand store $2.50
Boars hair brush $4.50
BBS Shave every time!
Priceless :wink:

Today was day one, Slim/Crystal. Very comfortable shave, but not as close as with the Derby. I've found that Aqua Velva Ice Blue AS is a good test of the comfort of a shave (it bites if there's even the slightest bit of irritation), and the AVIB went on with nary a sting. It's possible that I may need to open the Slim up a notch more with the Crystal blades, but I want to use the same settings for all blade tests, then go back and retest at different settings if necessary on some blades. Still, a pretty decent shave...

Day two, Slim/Crystal. Again, very comfortable shave, but not quite as close as the Derby. At this point, the blade is the only variable I'm changing. I think that once I get three days on this blade at the same settings I used with the Derby, I may do another three days with another Crystal, this time opening up the Slim a little more, and see if that makes a difference on the shave. I have more Crystals than anything else except Derbys, so I have some room to play a little...

I keep going back and forth on whether the Derby or Red Personna provides me the best shave. Its a draw right now...maybe an edge to Red Personna. Crystals are a no go for me.

The red Personnas are probably the next blade after the Crystal. I will probably wait to experiment with the Crystal until I get clear through the whole stack...

Top Bottom