What's new

You know you are entering The South when.

$beacon-drive-in-spartanburg1.jpg

Most of these things only exist out in the sticks. Even some of these stereotypical Southern things, like an extreme amount of churches, are tied to rural areas, not the South. The North has more urban areas, which is why you rarely, if ever, see church after church or some guy with a pickup truck full of guns driving around.

One thing I have noticed is that the quality of driving goes up the further north one goes. People in the South never move over and capable of driving only two speeds: 10 over and 10 under.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Most of these things only exist out in the sticks. Even some of these stereotypical Southern things, like an extreme amount of churches, are tied to rural areas, not the South. The North has more urban areas, which is why you rarely, if ever, see church after church or some guy with a pickup truck full of guns driving around.

One thing I have noticed is that the quality of driving goes up the further north one goes. People in the South never move over and capable of driving only two speeds: 10 over and 10 under.

truer than true! if you have to merge GOOD LUCK!

Sweet Tea: I am born and bred in South Louisiana. My family drinks tea with no sugar added. People are flabbergasted when we mention that. Now my wife, who grew up in SW Louisiana, drinks non-sweet tea.

And, I don't even mention my religious/non-religious affiliation or my political persuasion.
Born and raised in N. Louisiana here. Spent time with the USAF in Fla and Ga with a 2 year break over in Turkey, finally settling in E Texas. I have always preferred my tea non sweetened. It's strange though my son who now lives over in Jackson, Ms will only order sweet tea.

The people here in the south are truly polite folks, and no it isn't just pretend, that is, unless you are one of those pushy bigoted northerners who thinks that all southerners are stupid. Almost everything is slower and quieter here - except for the vehicles. The iced tea is sweet and so are the girls. Grits are eaten with butter - not cream & sugar. BBQ is not boiled - crawfish are. Folks here are not dumb - but they are honest. You can say just about anything you want to about someone - as long as you add "Bless his/her little heart..." to it... Whataburger is the best burger on the planet - Hardees/Carl's Jr. can't touch it. Smoked brisket done right is the food of the gods. Jalapenos should be a part of every meal. Camouflage is a color.

If you don't like God, guns, grits, gumbo, hunting, fishing, sweet tea and politeness - just stay up there where you are. We're doing fine without you - bless your little heart...
I disagree about the sweet tea part, and even though I live in E Texas I like the pork BBQ you find over in the eastern part of the deep south, Ga, Tn, the Carolinas. For me here in E Texas, I find one BBQ place that has some good pulled pork BBQ, but I have to drive about 35 miles to get to it. That's not to say I do not like a good brisket, or some of the hill country sausage.

Born in New Orleans, travel a LOT, and to me sweet tea is what reminds me that I'm somewhere in the South, although Confederate flags, gun racks in huge pick-ups and Jesus billboards do it too. . .

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Yup. And if you do manage to merge, expect to get the finger because, you know, who on Earth are you to merge into someone else's lane? :lol:

I think they speed up or slow down just to get in your way and prevent you from merging. Countless times i'd merge on to the 4 lane county highway that took me to my house with only 1 car in view and you would think there was an invisible wall preventing them from moving over to the completely empty lane next to them. You either have to speed up to 25mph over the speed limit to get in front or come to a stop and wait for them to pass.

Never experienced anything like that anywhere else.

I found this online and thought you guys would get a laugh out of it, I did :lol:

[SIZE=+1]Things only people from the South know[/SIZE]

Only a true Southerner knows the difference between a hissie fit and a conniption and that you pitch one and have the other.
A true Southerner can show or point out to you the general direction of "yonder."
A true Southerner knows exactly how long "directly" is - as in "Going to town, be back directly."
True Southerners both know and understand the differences between a redneck, a good ol' boy, and trailer trash.
No true Southerner would ever assume that the car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to make a turn.
True Southerners know that "fixin" can be used both as a noun, verb and adverb.

A true Southerner knows how to understand Southern a booger can be a resident of the nose, a descriptive ("That ol' booger!") or something that jumps out at you in the dark and scares you to death.
True Southerners make friends standing in lines. We don't do "queues," we do "lines." And when we're in line, we talk to everybody.
Put 100 Southerners in a room and half of them will discover they're related, if only by marriage.
True Southerners never refer to one person as "ya'll."
True Southerners know grits come from corn and how to eat them.
When you ask someone how they're doing and they reply, " Fair to middlin.", you know you're in the presence of a genuine Southerner.
Southerners say "sweet tea" and "sweet milk." Sweet tea indicates the need for sugar and lots of it - we do not like our tea unsweetened, "sweet milk" means you don't want buttermilk.
And a true Southerner knows you don't scream obscenities at little old ladies who drive 30 on the freeway? You say, "Bless her heart" and go on your way.

The coastal south is also different from the inland south. There are also plenty of Catholics around here, too, especially in the larger cities and closer to the Gulf Coast. I'll agree about the drivers being bad in the south, but I've seen some pretty bad drivers up north, too. The slow drivers not budging from the fast lane tend to be rural folks driving through urban areas and cell phone talkers/texters, in my experience. I live north of Mobile and drive through there to Pascagoula, MS to work, so I see this daily.

As a kid, my family lived along side a red clay road for a few years - until the well pumped sand. There are a lot of things that used to mean South that have now spread across America, but for me, fried mullet and Nassau style grits means I'm in the South.

Now that could be just a Gulf Coast thing.

-jim

If it appears that turn signals are an unpopular optional equipment item on the vehicles around you, there is a good chance you are in the south.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Yup. And if you do manage to merge, expect to get the finger because, you know, who on Earth are you to merge into someone else's lane? :lol:

You probably can't hear it, but the guy giving you the finger is also saying "bless your little heart."

True Southerners know that "fixin" can be used both as a noun, verb and adverb.

"Ah'm fixin' to be fixin' me up some fixin's ..."

... are y'all blue??

proxy.php

I think they speed up or slow down just to get in your way and prevent you from merging. Countless times i'd merge on to the 4 lane county highway that took me to my house with only 1 car in view and you would think there was an invisible wall preventing them from moving over to the completely empty lane next to them. You either have to speed up to 25mph over the speed limit to get in front or come to a stop and wait for them to pass.

Never experienced anything like that anywhere else.

I am not one to buy into conspiracy theories, but I honestly believe this. If you end up getting behind them, then they want to do 5 MPH under again.

There are also plenty of Catholics around here, too, especially in the larger cities and closer to the Gulf Coast.

We Catholics are not brave enough to venture out into the the sticks :lol:

You probably can't hear it, but the guy giving you the finger is also saying "bless your little heart."

You really have not lived until you have had an elderly Southern woman insult you. They do it in a way that no one knows it is an insult until a while has passed.

You really have not lived until you have had an elderly Southern woman insult you. They do it in a way that no one knows it is an insult until a while has passed.

This is a fact. I have a 93 year old great aunt that can insult you so cleverly you will say thank you when she is finished.

This is a fact. I have a 93 year old great aunt that can insult you so cleverly you will say thank you when she is finished.

This just BEGS for an example - I know what you mean but can't think of one.

Anyone?

Unrelated but Jeff Foxworthy mentioned once, "You know you are a redneck if you wash your hands BEFORE you use the bathroom."

at least in Georgia (where I'm from), "y'all" is always plural. "You" is the singular, "y'all" is plural and "all y'all" means a whole bunch of folks.

I'm not from Georgia, but this is the general usage in my neck of the woods as well, with the addition of "you'uns", which basically means the same thing as "y'all". I believe "you'uns" is more of an Appalachian thing than a pure Southern thing.

I'll add another: If your school class had a boy named "Conway" and/or a girl named "Loretta" (bonus points if her middle name was "Lynn", triple bonus points if she had a sister named "Crystal Gayle"), chances are very high that you are somewhere south of the Ohio River.

Top Bottom