What's new

Classic Merkur vs. HD Merkur

Fellas,
Last week I bought a classic Merkur razor from a barber shop supply company thinking it was an HD. I've used it about 5 times and have had mediocre results. How does it compare with the HD? I'll probably buy an HD anyway but was just curious to see just how different it was from the classic.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

WB

The heads on both are the same the HD just has a thicker handle. IMO if you got mediocre results with one, then you'll have the same results with the other. I'd suggest working on your technique before investing in another razor. The Classic is a good shaver.

The advantage of the HD is that is adds more weight. Using "no pressure", the HD automatically should provide a better shave. Since you already have the Classic, try adding just a "touch" of pressure to the razor and let us know how it goes. Remember, just a "touch" of pressure. Don't get heavy handed.

Randy

Out of curiosity--what were you using before the HD? What blades? What types of passes? Frankly, I am familiar with out four razor of not--two are Gillette cartridge razors (will ignore those) and one is an HD and the second a slant. Different razors IMO call for different technique.

I think you'll notice a difference in how the two perform. Despite the head geometry being the same, the weight and balance of the two razors are quite different from one another.

As a point of comparison, I have been using the head from my classic with several different prototype handles that I have received and do find the length, circumference, balance, and weight of each handle to markedly change the performance of the razor.

I think you'll notice a difference in how the two perform. Despite the head geometry being the same, the weight and balance of the two razors are quite different from one another.

As a point of comparison, I have been using the head from my classic with several different prototype handles that I have received and do find the length, circumference, balance, and weight of each handle to markedly change the performance of the razor.

Wow Kyle, without giving away too much info, is there anything heavier than the HD on the possible horizon? What can I say, I carry a Steel 5" 1911, the biggest Benchmades I can legally get by with (4") and in general just prefer heavy equipment. :wink:
Jack

So size really DOES matter? :001_cool:

Jack,
The forum razor that letterk (John) has been working on will be a bigger, heavier handle than that on the HD, and it should be available any day now.

The handles that I've been testing are for a different project that is still fairly early in the works.

I was a Fusion user for the last year or so and Mach 3 before that so this is my first attempt at using a de razor.

So I guess my primary concern was whether or not I was starting out on a more 'advanced' model before I truly got the hang of the hd, which from what I've gathered is best for beginners.

btw,
My shave this morning with the classic was much better. I just received Letterk's blade sample (used an Israeli and also used Pacific Pre-Shave Oil w/ T&H Almond cream w/ jojoba oil for an a/s). Must say this shave was much better than the previous ones. Guess my technique is getting a little better.

Thx guys,

Bill

I just have to say I like my classics more than my HDs.. They are all great shavers but I get better results with the classics...

Any thoughts on grip with the HD. Had my first shave, and with the weight of the HD with the small handle it was difficult to grip with wet hands.

Top Bottom