What's new

What's your workout today?

Bi's and Tri's
Straight Bar Curls "95lbs" which is heavy for me 4x6-8reps (first set on each exercise is a drop said with as heavy weight as you can handle, do this for each excersise) also recruit forced reps
Close grip ez-bar curls 3x6-8
dumbell curls (3x6-8)
hammers (3x6-8

Tri's
Overhead dumbells (70's) 3x6-8
skull crushers 3x6-8
rope extensions 3x6-8
underhand pulldowns 3x6-8

I'm a little off schedule with my Crossfit workouts, but I'm going to loop back and catch one that I missed the other day. There are a lot of things that I like about Crossfit, but I'm a little uncomfortable with the cult-like atmosphere that pervades much of the public side of the operation, and I don't like the way that they chase the military like a couple of girls swimming out from the pier to meet the fleet. I always think about that when one of their "hero" workouts comes around. But they're fun--today is a mile run, 100 pull-ups, 200 push-ups, 300 squats and another mile run. Tonight I'm going to feel great. Tomorrow I'm going to wake up and feel every year of my age!

Trained back and biceps yesterday. Well, let me rephrase, I trained back and forearms yesterday.

Here's a tip for you weightlifters that may be having trouble getting your biceps to grow: Stop training them or lower the volume. Think about it; biceps are an incredibly small muscle group compared to others. Yet, every time I step into the gym, I see guys doing endless sets for this miniscule muscle group.

If you're doing forearms exercises, your biceps are involved. If you're doing back exercises, your biceps are involved. If you ask me, I'd say the majority of people overtrain this very small muscle group. For me, and for others that I've trained, limiting or completely eliminating any direct biceps exercises have actually caused their biceps to grow.

Anywho, on with the workout, eh?

Back width:
Close grip reverse pulldowns - 225 x 26RP

Back thickness:
One arm dumbbell rows: 150lbs (each dumbbell) x 46RP (too high of reps, but I have no other choice because that's as high of a number as my gym goes)

Biceps: None.

Forearms:
Reverse Preacher Curls w/ EZ-Bar: 115 x 22RP

Stretch.

Again, "RP" stands for rest-paused sets.

I work out every other day. I start with 30 minutes cardio on either the spin bike or elliptical. I follow that up with 20-25 minutes on the Bowflex. Day 1 is chest and shoulders, day 2 is back and arms, day 3 (today) is legs and trunk.

When I bought this Bowflex about a year ago I was very skeptical. I followed the diet and exercise program to the letter and lost 26 pounds in 6 weeks. I would like to lose 10 more but, at 40 years old, those last ten are very difficult to get rid of.

I'm going for a long swim after work tonight. The past couple weeks have been somewhat disruptive to my gym schedule, so I'm excited to get back into some type of routine.

Another bike ride this morning. I am headed to physical therapy then taking the kids on another bike ride. It is a great day and we are supposed to have snow tomorrow.

Quads:
Hack Squats: 415 x 9, then a widowmaker* with 315 for 23 reps.

Hamstrings:
Stiff-legged deadlifts: 275 x 16. Reps were a little high; talk about pain!

Calves: None because my calves are already way too big :bored:

A widowmaker is a high-rep set (no, not a "burn out") to bring up a lagging bodypart. Twenty reps is the goal, but you get as many as possible. If you're familiar with breathing squats, widowmakers follow the same premise. Pick a weight that you think you'll fail at 15 reps with, then complete as many as humanly possible. You're allowed to take a few deep breaths once you approach failure, but you're not allowed to re-rack the weight during that time.

2.25 mile run.

Attempted to go mountain biking but all the local trails were closed so I did a very hard 5 miles ride right before dark, wish I had time to do more.

Top Bottom