What's new

Does Alcohol=Barbicide?

it would, if you could get it into all the nooks and crannies. I'm not sure what the carrier is, either. Some seem pretty gummy. And stink of perfume, yewwww

When you guys talk about "Scrubbing bubbles", which "Scrubbing Bubbles" product do you mean exactly? (there is at least 10 different products produced by that company)

Thanks.

When you guys talk about "Scrubbing bubbles", which "Scrubbing Bubbles" product do you mean exactly? (there is at least 10 different products produced by that company)

Thanks.

I would like to know this as well. I want to make sure I use the right stuff.

This is what I use - comes in a big old school can:

Scrubbing Bubbles® Foaming Bathroom Cleaner* foams to thoroughly clean, sanitize, shine and deodorize your bathroom surfaces. Available in two scents — Fresh and Lemon — these aerosols easily remove soap scum, hard-water stains and dirt, control mold and mildew growth, and won't scratch surfaces. Plus, they kill 99.9% of bacteria**. All that's left behind is a brilliant shine.

Benefits
- Cleans and sanitizes your bathroom surfaces in one simple step
- Kills 99.9% of bacteria**
- Foaming action easily removes soap scum, hard water stains and dirt
- Deodorizes your bathroom and leaves behind a pleasant scent

Effectively Cleans
Tubs,
Showers,
Basins,
Glazed Ceramic Tile,
Stainless Steel,
Chrome,
Fixtures,
Fiberglass,
Vinyl,
Glazed Porcelain,
Toilet Seat,
Toilet Exteriors.

After cleaning the razors with Scrubbing Bubbles (or its equivalent), wiping the surfaces down with rubbing alcohol will suffice.

Note that alcohol kills germs when it DRIES. Wiping it off, therefore, sort of defeats the purpose.

I put some on one of those cotton rounds my wife uses for her make-up removal, wipe the surfaces of the razor, and allow it to air dry. Good to go.

and yes, I am a doctor. Not only that, but I'm an infectious diseases subspeciallist. :thumbup:

Nothing about how scientists have recently found that Rhinovirus likes alcohol, and isn't killed by it? If they are just discovering this in the last 3-4 years, who knows what other things they will discover like alcohol?

When I buy a used razor, I go through the following process;

24 hour soak in scrubbing bubbles
2 hour boil in CLR
Soak in Barbicide for 2 days
Scrub with toothbrush, toothpaste, alcohol and MAAS for at least 60 minutes
48 hours in the Autoclave
Another 1 hour boil in CLR and Vinegar
Just to be safe, I hit it with a Propane Torch with a full Rosette Tip.
I've done this with the 376 Razors I bought.
I now have 2 razors in my collection, but they don't seem to shave worth a darn.

:lol::lol::lol:

Don't forget that metal polish also contains lots of very harsh chemicals, including, from what I can understand ammonia in some of them. Certainly Brasso smells like ammonia to me anyway.

Anyone know whether there have been any studies done on the effect of metal polish on viruses, bacteria and so on?

Although I have no proof of anything, I suspect that cleaning a vintage razor with something like dishwashing liquid and then polishing it with something like a Brasso type of product would kill just about anything at least as effectively as alcohol or Barbicide or anything else.

For my part, I clean razors using very hot water and dishwashing liquid, I then polish, re-clean and then soak them in Barbicide. I will often pour boiling water onto the razor as well. I haven't boiled any though.

Nothing about how scientists have recently found that Rhinovirus likes alcohol, and isn't killed by it? If they are just discovering this in the last 3-4 years, who knows what other things they will discover like alcohol?

Who cares?

Rhinoviruses are readily washed off the razor with soap and water.

It's a misconception that you have to KILL every microorganism. Many of them will either die on their own because viruses are INTRACELLULAR pathogens and are not well suited for survival outside a host for long periods of time

AND/OR

wash right off the item with a regular cleaning, whether you scrubbing bubbles or just dishwashing soap and water.

Who cares?

Rhinoviruses are readily washed off the razor with soap and water.

It's a misconception that you have to KILL every microorganism. Many of them will either die on their own because viruses are INTRACELLULAR pathogens and are not well suited for survival outside a host for long periods of time

AND/OR

wash right off the item with a regular cleaning, whether you scrubbing bubbles or just dishwashing soap and water.
I can share the sentiment here. Being overly concerned and fastidious about cleansing pathogens will only lead to a great deal of effort that will merit little return. Unless you are very susceptible to infections, standard cleaning practices will be more than adequate. No point to losing sleep over what scientists may discover in the future.

This is what I use - comes in a big old school can:

Scrubbing Bubbles® Foaming Bathroom Cleaner* foams to thoroughly clean, sanitize, shine and deodorize your bathroom surfaces. Available in two scents — Fresh and Lemon — these aerosols easily remove soap scum, hard-water stains and dirt, control mold and mildew growth, and won't scratch surfaces. Plus, they kill 99.9% of bacteria**. All that's left behind is a brilliant shine.

Benefits

Thanks for the precision Pioneer, this is the first time I come across a post that specifies the exact scrubbing bubble to use :)

Now I have to find where they sell that in Canada.

Only the Scrubbing Bubbles brand has the same ingredient list as Barbicide ('same' being relative) - the store brands *cough* Walmart *cough* do not disinfect at all. So stick with the brand name in this case.

Unless we're shaving with items used within the past week or say month on the outside, what organism is going to be alive on the razor anyway? These old things have been sitting for years in most cases.

Clean them enough to satisfy your comfort level - if that means irradiating them with gamma rays, go for it - but I think the forum's obsession level with sterilization is way over the top.

Soap + toothbrush, barbicide for 1 hour, sometimes alcohol, scrubbing bubbles. sometimes i'll repeat the process again if I take more gunk off the razor I can't get with the toothbrush. I dont worry too much about the hygeine thing because it's life. Take a chance. If you do what you're supposed to and still end up with a disease. WHATEVER!!! :001_tt1:

btw, barbicide is like $8 at sally beauty for the 16 oz. They sell 2 or 3 other brands as well for cheaper but they lose their color.

"Holy Overkill Batman!" What do you honestly think is still living in those razors after all of these years?

2 hour boil in CLR
I now have 2 razors in my collection, but they don't seem to shave worth a darn.

Barbiicide is not an alcohol, it contains quaternary ammonium. Sterilization is very hard to achieve, just keep that in mind. In addition, there is no real need to sterilize razors, particularly DE razors that have not been used for a long time. I normally use antibacterial soap to wash my recently acquired used straights and that is already overkill.

Al raz.

So, my new vintage razors came in and I haven't gotten any barbicide yet. I do have some 70% alcohol laying around though, could I use that to sterilize the razors as well? They are by no means in mint condition, one is a Fatboy and the other is a gold ball end tech. Would alcohol even be safe to use on the razors? Thanks in advance

I've soaked a Schick injector in Barbicide for several hours and it softened up the plastic/bakelite handle so bad that it deformed it. This razor was fine before the soak, I don't use the stuff anymore, not worth the risk.:angry:

Attachments

• $P1010763.jpg
    $P1010763.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 187
  • $P1010764.jpg
    $P1010764.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 190

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
"Holy Overkill Batman!" What do you honestly think is still living in those razors after all of these years?

i·ro·ny
1    [ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-] noun, plural -nies.

1. The use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.

2. A technique of indicating, as through character or plot development, an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated.

:lol: :lol:

Yeah, I just realized the sarcasm of his post...I just woke up and my sleep deprived mind thought that he was serious for a minute.
i·ro·ny
1    [ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-] noun, plural -nies.

1. The use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.

2. A technique of indicating, as through character or plot development, an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated.

:lol: :lol:

I've soaked a Schick injector in Barbicide for several hours and it softened up the plastic/bakelite handle so bad that it deformed it. This razor was fine before the soak, I don't use the stuff anymore, not worth the risk.:angry:
Wow, that's insane. I've started following the Barbicide instructions carefully (you only get a pale blue mix, and I only soak things for 10 minutes), but seeing that is going to make me think twice about when to use it. There must have been some chemical reaction between the bakelite and Barbicide.

2 hour boil in CLR

lmao u should add this to the joke pif :lol:

Top Bottom