What's new

Blood borne diseases?

Hi,

I usually just wash in warm water with soap and them wipe with alcohol.

One thing to keep in mind are odds. I'm not saying I want to do the blood brother ritual with just any one, but if you take measure to clean it and kill bugs then your down to what are the odds the previous owner had health problems. The entire world is not sickly, but some simple measures will dramatically reduce your risk, if not eliminate it.

- Mike

I guess I am a dead man. I cut my thumb on one of these antique mall straight razors BEFORE I started to clean them up. According to parts of this thread I AM A WALKING DEAD MAN!

Really. I did cut myself, but I have had worse paper cuts, and we won't talk about the cuts I have had from rusty and greasy car parts (a few should have involved stitches). If I was worried about this I would not have even picked up the razors in the first place.

If I die from a slice to my thumb I'll have my wife PIF the razors, brushes, soaps, and aftershaves my Dad and brothers don't want. (don't expect any, I'm not going to die, and if I did they would all be claimed)

Phil

From my school of medicine library:

It is important to distinguish the two...

Disinfectants are strong chemical agents that inhibit or kill microorganisms (Table 50–1). Antiseptics are disinfecting agents with sufficiently low toxicity for host cells that they can be used directly on skin, mucous membranes, or wounds. Sterilants kill both vegetative cells and spores when applied to materials for appropriate times and temperatures. Some of the terms used in this context are defined in Table 50–2.

ALCOHOLS
The two alcohols most frequently used for antisepsis and disinfection are ethanol and isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol). They are rapidly active, killing vegetative bacteria, Mycobacterium tuberculosis, and many fungi and inactivating lipophilic viruses. The optimum bactericidal concentration is 60–90% by volume in water. They probably act by denaturation of proteins. They are not used as sterilants because they are not sporicidal, do not penetrate protein-containing organic material, may not be active against hydrophilic viruses, and lack residual action because they evaporate completely. The alcohols are useful in situations in which sinks with running water are not available for washing with soap and water. Their skin-drying effect can be partially alleviated by addition of emollients to the formulation. Use of alcohol-based hand rubs has been shown to reduce transmission of nosocomial bacterial pathogens and is recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as the preferred method of hand decontamination. Alcohol-based hand rubs are ineffective against spores of C difficile and assiduous handwashing with a disinfectant soap and water is still required for decontamination after caring for a patient with infection from this organism.

Alcohols are flammable and must be stored in cool, well-ventilated areas. They must be allowed to evaporate before cautery, electrosurgery, or laser surgery. Alcohols may be damaging if applied directly to corneal tissue. Therefore, instruments such as tonometers that have been disinfected in alcohol should be rinsed with sterile water, or the alcohol should be allowed to evaporate before they are used.

CHLORHEXIDINE
Chlorhexidine is a cationic biguanide with very low water solubility. Water-soluble chlorhexidine digluconate is used in water-based formulations as an antiseptic. It is active against vegetative bacteria and mycobacteria and has moderate activity against fungi and viruses. It strongly adsorbs to bacterial membranes, causing leakage of small molecules and precipitation of cytoplasmic proteins. It is active at pH 5.5–7.0. Chlorhexidine gluconate is slower in its action than alcohols, but because of its persistence it has residual activity when used repeatedly, producing bactericidal action equivalent to alcohols. It is most effective against gram-positive cocci and less active against gram-positive and gram-negative rods. Spore germination is inhibited by chlorhexidine. Chlorhexidine digluconate is resistant to inhibition by blood and organic materials. However, anionic and nonionic agents in moisturizers, neutral soaps, and surfactants may neutralize its action. Chlorhexidine digluconate formulations of 4% concentration have slightly greater antibacterial activity than newer 2% formulations. Chlorhexidine 0.5% in 70% alcohol formulations are available in some countries. Chlorhexidine has a very low skin-sensitizing or irritating capacity. Oral toxicity is low because it is poorly absorbed from the alimentary tract. Chlorhexidine must not be used during surgery on the middle ear because it causes sensorineural deafness. Similar neural toxicity may be encountered during neurosurgery.

HALOGENS
Iodine
Iodine in a 1:20,000 solution is bactericidal in 1 minute and kills spores in 15 minutes. Tincture of iodine USP contains 2% iodine and 2.4% sodium iodide in alcohol. It is the most active antiseptic for intact skin. It is not commonly used because of serious hypersensitivity reactions that may occur and because of its staining of clothing and dressings.

Iodophors
Iodophors are complexes of iodine with a surface-active agent such as polyvinyl pyrrolidone (PVP; povidone-iodine). Iodophors retain the activity of iodine. They kill vegetative bacteria, mycobacteria, fungi, and lipid-containing viruses. They may be sporicidal upon prolonged exposure. Iodophors can be used as antiseptics or disinfectants, the latter containing more iodine. The amount of free iodine is low, but it is released as the solution is diluted. An iodophor solution must be diluted according to the manufacturer's directions to obtain full activity.

Iodophors are less irritating and less likely to produce skin hypersensitivity than tincture of iodine. They act as rapidly as chlorhexidine and have a broader spectrum of action, including sporicidal action, but they lack the persistent action of chlorhexidine.

Chlorine
Chlorine is a strong oxidizing agent and universal disinfectant that is most commonly provided as a 5.25% sodium hypochlorite solution, a typical formulation for household bleach. Because formulations may vary, the exact concentration should be verified on the label. A 1:10 dilution of household bleach provides 5000 ppm of available chlorine. The CDC recommends this concentration for disinfection of blood spills. Less than 5 ppm kills vegetative bacteria, whereas up to 5000 ppm is necessary to kill spores. A concentration of 1000–10,000 ppm is tuberculocidal. One hundred ppm kills vegetative fungal cells in 1 hour, but fungal spores require 500 ppm. Viruses are inactivated by 200–500 ppm. Dilutions of 5.25% sodium hypochlorite made up in pH 7.5–8.0 tap water retain their activity for months when kept in tightly closed, opaque containers. Frequent opening and closing of the container reduces the activity markedly.

Because chlorine is inactivated by blood, serum, feces, and protein-containing materials, surfaces should be cleaned before chlorine disinfectant is applied. Undissociated hypochlorous acid (HOCl) is the active biocidal agent. When pH is increased, the less active hypochlorite ion, OCl– is formed. When hypochlorite solutions contact formaldehyde, the carcinogen bis-chloromethyl is formed. Rapid evolution of irritating chlorine gas occurs when hypochlorite solutions are mixed with acid and urine. Solutions are corrosive to aluminum, silver, and stainless steel.

Alternative chlorine-releasing compounds include chlorine dioxide and chloramine T. These agents retain chlorine longer and have a prolonged bactericidal action.

Hope that helped a little, I didn't read through the entire thread:ohmy:

Hi there,

Did my B.Sc. Hn. in Microbio and Immuno, and have been an MD in ER for >10 years, managed our ER's policies during H1N1 last year as the acting director.

Here are some simple facts without too much details. Lysol kills almost everything, alcohol/stanhexidine/iodine are used on living tissues because they aren't as damaging. Your razor is dead ... use lysol or industrial wipes (the ones that say do not wipe hands).

We use Lysol and the wipes for ultrasound probes, stethoscopes, and other items that are considered "external" but still come into contact with bodily fluids on a regular basis.

Spreadable viruses via sharing of sharp objects; the most important one would be Hep B when considering greatest impact to public health and likelihood of contracting: get vaccinated !!! and while you're at it, get twinrix to get vaccinated for Hep A. Unless you do NOT travel and do NOT socialize and have no dependents at home that you could infect, you should just get vaccinated for Hep A&B. HIV and Hep C ... don't really survive that long on surfaces, you really need to share "whole blood". Herpes, Flu, and HPV which can all be unpleasant to contract and "may" survive on some surfaces will also be "killed" or rather lose viability with the use of Lysol ... Lysol will kill.

If you want to get FULL ON medical; from the CDC, stolen from one of their guidelines for one type of disaster or other.

"Reusable medical equipment should be cleaned with a 5% aqueous solution of a
phenolic germicidal detergent then decontaminated using one of the following
methods. The method selected should be based on manufacturer recommendations
for decontamination of the equipment.

1. Autoclave decontamination- Manufacturers standard protocols for autoclave
decontamination may be used.

2. Ethylene oxide decontamination - Equipment that must be decontaminated
using this method should be bagged in plastic bags that are permeable to
gaseous ethylene oxide. Humidify the material to be sterilized by injecting
water into the plastic-bagged material to produce a relative humidity of 50-
70%. Place the bags into an ethylene oxide sterilizer and allow an exposure of
at least 24 hours at a concentration of at least 800 mg per liter ethylene oxide.
The equipment should be allowed to fully aerate after ethylene oxide
decontamination.

3. Solution soak decontamination - Soak equipment in a 5% aqueous solution of
a phenolic germicidal detergent (e.g. industrial strength Lysol or Amphyl, )
for at least 1 hour."

This means clean it with Lysol, then soak it in Lysol. In most hospitals, the Industrial grade concentrate diluted down to 5% Lysol solution is considered quite satisfactory. Just find the Lysol concentrate, and dilute as indicated for 5%. Repeat if you wish, or do two different techniques to increase your comfort level ... the risks remain very low.

Very few things can live ON a razor - nasties live in crud on the surface.
Washing with soap and hot water won't necessarily kill everything, but it will wash it off the razor down the drain.

Thank you to the medical professionals who identified themselves as such and then answered the original poster's questions and concerns based on facts. "How long does Hepatitis A remain viable on a hard surface?" is different than "What's your favorite brush for face lathering?"

Very glad to be of service to the community, I certainly have benefited from it a LOT. And thank you for the gentlemanly nod.

I used to worry about that also. However after finding out on here how some folks clean their razors I developed a routine of my own. Everything gets 2 shots of Scrubbing Bubbles and it sits in it until it completely liquefies on each pass. Then it gets wiped down and from there if it's a DE it gets a soak in a little cup of Iso Alcohol and then left to air dry. Straights will get wiped down with Iso and again will air dry. Although the idea of hitting it with lysol first might be a good idea too.

From what I understand (and I'm FAR from an expert) but the need to go to the medical standard of cleaning is a bit extreme. If I understand correctly many blood born diseases can't live very long when exposed to air. Like HIV I believe is essentially dead when blood is exposed to air. I don't know how long many other diseases can live when blood is dried out. But then again who cuts themselves and leaves blood all over a razor? But also consider getting a cut on your finger say on a job or anywhere else in public for that matter. When you get a cut say on a finger or something chances are that item is exposed to a TON more germs that most other things out there. Considering basically anything in public has been touched by hundreds or thousands of different people. And again often when you nick yourself with a razor you're not driving the edge into your skin. Often the blade is gone before blood even shows up... So it's not like a medical implement where they're making deep incisions withing you and it's basically bathing in blood or whatever other bodily fluids.

I will say that I did see an episode of "A 1000 Ways to Die" on Spike and there was a woman who did die from a razor cut. But if I recall it had something to do with her being in a hotel room in Vegas (I think we all know hotel rooms aren't the most sanitized places). And it had something to do with her razor sitting in water in her shower (water is a great breeding ground for bacteria) and that played a major role in it.

Thank you for the perfectly concise info, Rapier. The only thing I have to add to this conversation is in regard to the bleach suggestions. Bleach solutions will sanitize your razors, but prolonged contact can cause darkening/tarnishing of the metal, so be careful about leaving them to soak.

Most of the bacteria that you would find growing on razor would also be growing on your sink/faucet/stove/shower head/wash cloth/etc, and are normally found on your skin (the dreaded Staph Aureus is a normal skin bacteria believe it or not). To deal with these, wash in warm (hot) soapy water and friction (soap may not kill bacteria, but rubbing them off of the blade with a sponge/steel wool will get rid of them.

Most viruses including HIV and HEP A/B/C cannot survive outside of a living host (body) for very long. Typically in the healthcare field a set of "Universal Precautions" are used for cleaning up blood/body fluids (use gloves, antimicrobial cleaners like alcohol and bleach). But if a blood drop is dry, then whatever was in that blood drop is dead.

for safety's sake do a soap and water wash, and as recommended above spray with either a 1:10 bleach:water solution or >70% isopropyl or Ethyl Alcohol and let it air dry (don't wipe it dry).

Looks like several people beat me to the punch on providing good accurate information

Last edited:
Top Bottom