What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

You are correct...that is a LC NEW.....Mel...nice combo of a LC NEW with the tech handle...one of the coolest frankenrazor combos around!
Thanks Ken: I'm also a OC noob. Hmmm all this time I thought my very 1st OC (Gillette New) was a SC. So, instead it's a LC NEW. Thanks for the knowledge, Ken.
I'm digging this combo.

WARHAWK

Perhaps a modern Merkur OC would be a better starter razor if you want to do an OC with him. The other vintage OC may be too aggressive for starters.
I don't think the aggressiveness would be a big problem. He has sensitive skin like me so a more aggressive razor would probably benefit him but might make learning a bit harder..

If you are looking for a new razor...hard to beat the Merkur 1904 OC...inexpensice and a nice mild razor for those just starting wet shaving! Nice that you are getting your Dad into this hobby!
No requirement that it should be new! I just need to find something that is open comb and hopefully as cheap as possible but still a good razor of course!

If you are looking for a new razor...hard to beat the Merkur 1904 OC...inexpensice and a nice mild razor for those just starting wet shaving! Nice that you are getting your Dad into this hobby!

+1 The 1904 OC was my first OC razor - and actually my first razor when I got back to DE shaving. And it's very good - it's mild, but still very effective.

I have been using both my newly nickel plated Long and Short comb razors Dave re-did for me and cannot get over the smooth and close shave each one gives me. I have not touched another razor since I got the razors back. I do not shave every morning now either. I will shave one morning and then have to shave again the following eveing. Next day will be a skipped day for shaving because there is nothing there to shave! So I have gone from 6 shaves a week, keeping one day for the face to recover and heal from any razor burn that may or may not have happened, to shaving only about 5 days a week now.

My Merkur 11C arrived today. I believe that I got one of the last still in the wild. The 11C and the NEW SC along with a NEW LC that will be here this week give me some OC razors to experiment with. I've been shaving with the SC and I'm anxious to see the differences between the three OC razors.

I have been using both my newly nickel plated Long and Short comb razors Dave re-did for me and cannot get over the smooth and close shave each one gives me. I have not touched another razor since I got the razors back. I do not shave every morning now either. I will shave one morning and then have to shave again the following eveing. Next day will be a skipped day for shaving because there is nothing there to shave! So I have gone from 6 shaves a week, keeping one day for the face to recover and heal from any razor burn that may or may not have happened, to shaving only about 5 days a week now.

We still want LOTS of pictures!

I did something different with my Gillette New SC. I paired it with a Gold Gillette Tech handle and I had an incredible face shave using my trusty Astra SP blade. I'm really loving my OC shaves. I figured I will OC practice before taking my R41 for its 1st test drive.
View attachment 250266View attachment 250267

WARHAWK

Very nice Mel. The NEW LC paired with the Fat Tech Handle really makes for a great shave. Worst decision that I ever made was to sell my NEW's, needless to say I am buying replacements.

The Astra's are very nice with the LC, but the SuperMax Super Platinums or Lord Platinum Class are my favorites, of course YMMV.

Enjoy the shaves my friend.

Just got my BRW NEW short comb on Bull Mastiff to compliment my BRW NEW long comb on Bull Mastiff XXL Deluxe. Been wanting to try out both the long and short combs and I was finally able to get my hands on another one of Bob's(RIP) fantastic razors.

proxy.php

proxy.php

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bob was a great craftman...you have two wonderful examples of his work...

Another DFS with the LC New to report loaded with the SuperMax SP! This thing is really starting to grow on me (it better! I just picked one up on eBay :) as I've dialed in the correct angle and get a smooth pass each time. The sweet spot on the LC New is pretty easy to hit, as ya'll all suggested. Two passes on both head and face and had very little touch up. I've really concentrated on using NO pressure whatsoever recently and I think it's made a huge difference in my shaves...not just with irritation.

If I could high five you all, I would! :thumbup:

Very nice Mel. The NEW LC paired with the Fat Tech Handle really makes for a great shave. Worst decision that I ever made was to sell my NEW's, needless to say I am buying replacements.

The Astra's are very nice with the LC, but the SuperMax Super Platinums or Lord Platinum Class are my favorites, of course YMMV.

Enjoy the shaves my friend.

I would encourage anyone that has tried the Supermax Super Plats with the NEW to give it a shot....they are a great blade in the NEW...one of my favs..

Well, i thought i would let you fellow brothers and two sisters know that i finally received the Tradere.
Wow, was i surprised at how long the handle is; longest one i have seen on a DE. i compared it to the R41, Old Type and 1904 so that some of you could visually understand how long it is.
i guess i am used to my vintage Gillette open-comb handles. i will shave with it in its original composition for a few days to see how i find the handle and then i may try a Weber and a Bull Mastiff.
i will report back later. Here are the obligatory photos:

Attachments

• $trade1.jpg
    $trade1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 68
  • $trade2.jpg
    $trade2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 69
  • $trade3.jpg
    $trade3.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 68
  • $trade4.jpg
    $trade4.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 69
I'm thinking about looking for an OC TTO; Senator, Sheraton, or early '30's aristocrat. How are these razors? I like my New Standard and bulldog, but I'm looking for the convenience of a TTO. Would these be worth the search?

Well, i thought i would let you fellow brothers and two sisters know that i finally received the Tradere.
Wow, was i surprised at how long the handle is; longest one i have seen on a DE. i compared it to the R41, Old Type and 1904 so that some of you could visually understand how long it is.
i guess i am used to my vintage Gillette open-comb handles. i will shave with it in its original composition for a few days to see how i find the handle and then i may try a Weber and a Bull Mastiff.
i will report back later. Here are the obligatory photos:

Great pictures brother....WOW...that handle is much longer....but more importantly.....you got a Tradere!! WOOHOO!!!!!! Congrats!! Please report back!!

I'm thinking about looking for an OC TTO; Senator, Sheraton, or early '30's aristocrat. How are these razors? I like my New Standard and bulldog, but I'm looking for the convenience of a TTO. Would these be worth the search?

I think everyone needs a OC TTO!! I think Johnnie has both a Senator and a Sheraton...maybe he can chime in...after reading a article by GD...I want both!!

Some better shots of the handles:

proxy.php

Mastiff XXL
proxy.php

Mastiff
proxy.php

@bluebishop: It is quite humbling to be able to own his razors they are indeed works of art.

My Sheraton is a very gentle shaver. I love it. I'm trying to decide what's up with my Senator. It is identical to the Sheraton, just silver, but I get razor rash from it every time.

Some better shots of the handles:

proxy.php

Mastiff XXL
proxy.php

Mastiff
proxy.php

@bluebishop: It is quite humbling to be able to own his razors they are indeed works of art.

Those may be the best pictures I've ever seen of Bob's handles....simply gorgeous....I had no idea of the amount of detail he put into his work. The knurling is beautiful on both of those....I can't believe someone gave up one of those and sold it to you! You would have to pry that from my dead hands.........even then...I would come back and haunt you!! LOL

Thank you for the great pics!!!

Top Bottom