What's new

Honing forum is slow these days. So... Hone Pics power, ACTIVATE!

Is it me or did we just suffer a stark drop in Mojo levels over here?

How's the EF continuous? I LOVE the feel of my EF interrupted, but not so much my EE Continuous or XC continuous, and am curious if it's the grit that is making the difference or the interruptions.

How's the EF continuous? I LOVE the feel of my EF interrupted, but not so much my EE Continuous or XC continuous, and am curious if it's the grit that is making the difference or the interruptions.

I like my interrupted DMT better than my continuous as well.

This is my Main coti.

It's a Vintage? natural combo. Got it on the Bay. Box is custom and by FAR the most recent I've ever seen, wood still has wood smells. Certainly not over 40 years old... probably much newer. I wouldn't be surprised if <15-20yrs. Stone is about as cookie cutter perfect as you could get. It eats steel fast (but not the fastest) on water, but is plenty smooth and hard for an easy finish. It slurrys easily (not the easiest I've seen). It is almost dead even 50/50 coti/bbw. The cut is exact. The surface isn't unusually beautiful (looks like a bundle of white and yellow strings with a glipse of blue here and there), but is immacute. Feel while honing is great, the one flaw being a bit of a vacuum effect on water. (like a magnetic razor on a DMT plate). It's really a pleasure to work with, though I've had 2 or 3 I liked using better (a vintage that was matte peach with ZERO markings which I wish I never sold, and a couple bouts that looked the same (no markings yellow to peach, very matte almost dusty looking surfaces), which if they'd been cut stones instead of bouts I'd have kept over this one.

The Slurry there is like the "Better" stones I mentioned that I've sold. It's a vintage nat 40x40 out of a barbers bag I got who stopped working in the 60's (Rudolph Cook, His Union stamp book was in bag... last one was Dec 1963). He had 4 or 5 small (40x40, 50x50) stones of various types, including what I THINK is an unusual looking 50x50 cutlers green... with... a slurry stone. He used these 40x40 and 50x50's as HONES, not rubbing stones. Anyway the stones gorgeous. Smooth as glass, So soft it slurrys any coti in seconds. If I was willing to hone on a 40x40, I'd be in heaven.

40 by 40mm is small... Sounds like you could barely lay the blade down on it. Sounds like finger stones for sword honing, Interesting stuff.

Is it me or did we just suffer a stark drop in Mojo levels over here?

The introduction of film will do that to you.

Nice Seraphim, the cups really add to the ambience.
Very tidy space.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
My limited collection.
Slate, Ozuku Asagi, Black Arkansas, the rest are coticules.

$CIMG0058.jpg

Not much compared to most. Here's my humble collection. Vintage coti, La Grise (sub-layer) Translucent Black Arkansas and a Shoubudani Mizu Asagi.

Attachments

• $P1010052.jpg
    $P1010052.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 141
Aww, 15 months ago I had you beat and then some. Here's the stragglers:

I never got my hands on a <8x2" Thuri though. You have two. Hoarder.

HAHA I don't have but one of the stones in that picture anymore. That is how I funded my CVH buying spree. I cut the two on top up and these are the only two thuringians I have left. A 6" Escher and a 7" Fox no.44 extra soft.

proxy.php

Sitting on a rubber block in the rear, is a Kita-ish Ozuku. In front of it sits an Asagi-ish Okudo.
In front, there's a few Tomo - L-R - Nakayama Kita, Ozuku Mizu, Nakayama Mystery
The all white Nagura on the right are Lyo and Chu (top).

proxy.php

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
How much do average tomonagura go for? I have a narrow ozuku I might cut up for tomonagura. Depending on average price it might be worth it.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Hmmmm might need to break out the tile saw :smile:. Anyone need ozuku tomos? :lol:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
proxy.php

proxy.php

The thickness tapers and its 5.5 x 1.5 inches. I figure I could get five 1 x 1.5 pieces. Or 4 larger ones, etc. I was told it was about 4.5 or harder and was from JNS way back when, and is an Ozuku Asagi. It's way too thin for my skills.

The thickness tapers and its 5.5 x 1.5 inches. I figure I could get five 1 x 1.5 pieces. Or 4 larger ones, etc. I was told it was about 4.5 or harder and was from JNS way back when, and is an Ozuku Asagi. It's way too thin for my skills.
I'd take one. Use a hack saw instead I'd a tile saw, removes less stone.

Ozuko Mizu Asagi , probably the hardest razor finisher I have seen so far. It is very very light gray makes the finest edge so far.

Second one is Ohira Suita - knife finisher razor prepolisher, huge stone 205x75x56mm

Both stones from Maksim @JNS

Attachments

• $IMG_6763.jpg
    $IMG_6763.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 117
  • $IMG_6757.jpg
    $IMG_6757.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 117
  • $IMG_6760.jpg
    $IMG_6760.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 116
proxy.php

proxy.php

I see you opted for pics with your kid's suntanned feet in the background instead of your own.

Top Bottom