What's new

Check-in and a few questions

I haven't started wet shaving yet, but have been thinking about it for quite a while now. Recently I have noticed my shave with my Mach 3 and Barbasol I have a stubble even with a brand new cartridge. I read a bit about this forum and it appealed to me with it's friendly users and the idea of PIF, as a product of a military college this is something I am familiar with but did not know could be found on the web.

I had a few questions about wet shaving before I decide to start:
  • Does it give a better shave than you get with newer razors?
  • What reason do you wet shave as opposed to using a newer razor?
  • Why do you prefer the type of wet shaving you do (straight, double edge, etc)?
Thank you,
Ferth

Edit:
after further reading I believe the more appropriate wording for my second question would have been newer shaving creams as opposed to newer razors
also I had another question:
Where is a better starting point (shaving cream/soap and brush or double edge or straight razors)

Last edited:
Welcome to the legion of the B&B. People around here could write for hours to answer those questions, since much of it is based not just on the efficacy of the shave, but in the philosophy that drove us into "old-fashioned" shaving in the first place.

I personally didn't do it for a better shave, although with knowledge and practice, my shaves are becoming better. I did it because I was tired of rushing through my days, not enjoying any of the simple things, being stressed, and rushing around like an idiot--so that I would have more time for my WORK. Besides slowing down and enjoying the simple activities in life more, I also like the vast number of "man toys" that wet shaving offers. It's fun to try different stuff and not have everything the same every day.

My advice (for what it's worth): take this new shaving hobby slowly and enjoy what you do at whatever level you're at. Read the B&B articles and how-to's here and write people with questions that aren't answered. You'll find there are some pretty funny and witty people. Have fun! Enjoy! Glad you're on board.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

I landed on this site following a quest to a better shave. Like you, I wasn't satisfied with my shaves, it was a chore. I was always thinking about traditional shaving and thought, I could give it a go. I turned a chore into a hobby and now love it. Sure it wasn't easy, it requires work and perseverance. If you are willing to invest the time, it's really rewarding. Old or new? Well, if you are running on a small budget, second hand stuff can be really cheap. I prefer vintage razors to new but that's a preference.

I tried a few double edge razors in my shaving journey and finally moved to straight razors. Why? I don't know, I like the way the shave goes, it's the experience.

Welcome to B&B, Ferth.

Personally I find traditional shaving gives a more satisfactory shave than the newer twenty quadrillion blade models. Your face begins to feel a lot nicer, and the shaves are a lot more enjoyable.

Why do I wet shave? I prefer traditional shaving because as stated above it is much more enjoyable. Yes it is a bit more time consuming, however the difference is night and day. It is great learning about something new, and you feel great after the shave.

I started off with a DE, and shaved with it for 1 1/2 months. Then just over a week ago I made the switch to straight razors. I like both ways of shaving, however with a straight razor there is something else. The look, feel, and sound of shaving with a straight is indescribable.

Overall I switched because I prefer taking time and finding pleasure in little things (even if they are less convenient). I think daily life is hectic enough. We are constantly connected and bombarded with information. It is nice to switch off and take time and care with something. This is why I love traditional shaving (it is also why I love vinyls).

Welcome to B&B!
Yes, absolutely. In my opinion the quality of shave you can get decreases with the amount of blades you use.
Better shave number 1. Number 2, cartridge razors are engineered so a blind monkey could use them. There is no art or skill to it. There is no way to change the way it shaves. It shaves the way it was designed to and that is all the better it will ever get. A double edge, single edge, or straight razor on the other hand have a certain technique in order to use them. It is an art that is learned, and is't too hard. Once you figure it out, you can adjust the blade angle of the razor to provide the optimum shave. It's about having better control of your shave. Like the difference bewteen driving an automatic or a stick shift car.
  • Why do you prefer the type of wet shaving you do (straight, double edge, etc?
For all the above reasons, and I like using vintage razors. There is just something very cool to me about using a razor that is older than I am, or using a razor that was made the year my father or grandfather was born, or even using a razor that is over 100 years old. Razors back then were built like tanks and still outperform modern razors.

First off, welcome to B&B
  • Does it give a better shave than you get with newer razors?---Yes! To me, "better" means: softer, cleaner, less irritation
  • What reason do you wet shave as opposed to using a newer razor?---I had a big problem with in-growns (due to using rotary electric when I was younger). I never had too much of a problem with a fusion on the first two shaves, but 2-3 was all I could get out of a single cartridge comfortably. Since switching to a DE, my neck has cleared up considerably. And yes, it helps that some of these Sandalwoods and other scents smell amazing! Also, eventually, it "might" be a money saver if I ever get my acquisition disorders under control.
  • Why do you prefer the type of wet shaving you do (straight, double edge, etc?---I use a DE. Love the thought/nostalgia of a straight, but I'll leave that to the pros at the barber shop.

I had a few questions about wet shaving before I decide to start:
  • Why do you prefer the type of wet shaving you do (straight, double edge, etc

Welcome to B&B, Ferth. To answer your questions:

1) I think this comes down to personal preferences. There are members on B&B who use cartridge razors and get great results. For me--and others on the forum--we just get a better shave using DEs and straight razors. Razors aside. Even if you stick with cartridges, you will notice an improvement in your shaves by using a brush and shave soap/cream.
2) Life moves too fast these days. It's nice to take some time to pamper yourself a little, slow down, and take your time at something.
3) I use a DE razor. Along with the above reasons, I use it because it's a quality, well-made product--and we have so few of those these days.

Let us know what you decide.

I did it because I was tired of rushing through my days, not enjoying any of the simple things, being stressed, and rushing around like an idiot--so that I would have more time for my WORK. Besides slowing down and enjoying the simple activities in life more, I also like the vast number of "man toys" that wet shaving offers. It's fun to try different stuff and not have everything the same every day.

My advice (for what it's worth): take this new shaving hobby slowly and enjoy what you do at whatever level you're at. Read the B&B articles and how-to's here and write people with questions that aren't answered. You'll find there are some pretty funny and witty people. Have fun! Enjoy! Glad you're on board.

+1

Welcome to the team! You'll appreciate it!

Welcome!

Does it give a better shave than you get with newer razors? For me, it gives a more comfortable shave than a cartridge razor or electric shaver.

What reason do you wet shave as opposed to using a newer razor? Many reasons: it's cool to use a substantial metal tool as opposed to disposable plastic. It can be cheaper in the long-run. One blade feels better than multiple/rotating blades to the skin. These are a few of my ideas on the subject.

Why do you prefer the type of wet shaving you do (straight, double edge, etc? DE shaving is what I do. My answer to your second question apply for this question as well.

Top Bottom