What's new

Got the Brush Covered, Now on to a Shaving Soap: Good Smell for Sensitive Skin

Scent is highly subjective (evidenced by countless threads on this site regarding the scent of any product). "Nice and unique" really don't help those reading your thread and attempting to assist you. You need to be very clear regarding what you consider to be "nice and unique". It wouldn't hurt to clarify what you don't consider to be nice or unique. Never assume that your preferences are universal on topics like this. If we all had the same preference when it came to scent then there would be no reason for certain scents to be offered at all.

I think we'll be able to help him out. :wink2:

Taylor of Old Bond Street's Jermyn Street soap and creams are designed with sensitive skin in mind. It's certainly a unique, aquatic scent, and could be worth a try.

Taylor of Old Bond Street's Jermyn Street soap and creams are designed with sensitive skin in mind. It's certainly a unique, aquatic scent, and could be worth a try.

I was just about to say that. I love the scent and the soap produces amazing lather!

Thank you my good sir. I will definitely keep this in mind.

The forum member who is sending my brushes told me not to make any purchases until his goodie bag arrived, but honestly, there have been so many good suggestions on here that I have no idea where to start. The Arko sounds good, and I never knew that something such as a "Shave stick" existed. Your suggestion for the Taylor of Old Bond Streets stuff sounds good too. In all honesty, from the sound of it, the Arko has something like the scent that I was going for. When I said I wanted a nice, unique scent, I should have specified a little more. I don't want anything that smells like the crap I have been using in the can all these years, be it the Gillette Gel or the Barbasol Cream. Something fruity or woodsy, like cedar or sandalwood might be nice.

Thank you my good sir. I will definitely keep this in mind.

The forum member who is sending my brushes told me not to make any purchases until his goodie bag arrived, but honestly, there have been so many good suggestions on here that I have no idea where to start. The Arko sounds good, and I never knew that something such as a "Shave stick" existed. Your suggestion for the Taylor of Old Bond Streets stuff sounds good too. In all honesty, from the sound of it, the Arko has something like the scent that I was going for. When I said I wanted a nice, unique scent, I should have specified a little more. I don't want anything that smells like the crap I have been using in the can all these years, be it the Gillette Gel or the Barbasol Cream. Something fruity or woodsy, like cedar or sandalwood might be nice.

How about something that smells like a Urinal Puck? A bloody nice Urinal Puck however!

:scared::001_unsur:ohmy::blushing::blush::sneaky2::001_tt2::crying:

How about something that smells like a Urinal Puck? A bloody nice Urinal Puck however!

:scared::001_unsur:ohmy::blushing::blush::sneaky2::001_tt2::crying:

Don't think the Misses would appreciate that too much.:biggrin1:

In all honesty, I think I have it narrowed down to three choices based on what you guys have suggested. Im thinking of going with an Arko stick, a Tabac stick, and a container of the Green Proraso. I know the white is supposed to be good for sensitive skin but I just like the sound of the green better. Any thoughts?

In all honesty, I think I have it narrowed down to three choices based on what you guys have suggested. Im thinking of going with an Arko stick, a Tabac stick, and a container of the Green Proraso. I know the white is supposed to be good for sensitive skin but I just like the sound of the green better. Any thoughts?

Excellent choices! I think you may also find your skin isn't as sensitive as you think it is when your technique gets refined.

VDH. It's cheap, mild, and easy to lather. You can do 100 practice lathers and it'll cost you about $2. After that you should definitely look in to Mikes, if your skin is ok with lanolin.

Instead of Proraso, I'd try Institut Karite. It smells clean and soapy, and the slickness and protection are top-notch.

Instead of Proraso, I'd try Institut Karite. It smells clean and soapy, and the slickness and protection are top-notch.

Indeed. How could I forget the French soaps? IK is outstanding, and would definitely fit the bill for sensitive skin.

VDH. It's cheap, mild, and easy to lather. You can do 100 practice lathers and it'll cost you about $2. After that you should definitely look in to Mikes, if your skin is ok with lanolin.

As in green box? If this is what I think it is, I just came across a puck of it while doing my grocery shopping at Wal Mart for $1.49. I grabbed a puck of it just to see what it was like. Even if it shaves like crap Im only out $1.49. Cant beat that.

As in green box? If this is what I think it is, I just came across a puck of it while doing my grocery shopping at Wal Mart for $1.49. I grabbed a puck of it just to see what it was like. Even if it shaves like crap Im only out $1.49. Cant beat that.

Yup that's it. And it dosen't shave like crap. Actually it's a very good soap IMO. You can melt it in the microwave, mix in some aftershave and let it resolidify and *bam* you have scented soap.

Yup that's it. And it dosen't shave like crap. Actually it's a very good soap IMO. You can melt it in the microwave, mix in some aftershave and let it resolidify and *bam* you have scented soap.

Huh. How do you like that? I got bored because the misses is out of town and decided to make a late night run to grab some food that she needed. Being in Wal Mart, I have been told that they offer some halfway decent aftershave products, so I buzzed on over to take a look. I saw the VDH box and remembered the recommendation and thought, "It couldn't be that easy could it?" so I grabbed some. Popped it open and took a smell, it doesn't smell half bad. Funny thing is I got so wrapped up in the shave soap I forgot all about the aftershaves. Oops!:huh:

Huh. How do you like that? I got bored because the misses is out of town and decided to make a late night run to grab some food that she needed. Being in Wal Mart, I have been told that they offer some halfway decent aftershave products, so I buzzed on over to take a look. I saw the VDH box and remembered the recommendation and thought, "It couldn't be that easy could it?" so I grabbed some. Popped it open and took a smell, it doesn't smell half bad. Funny thing is I got so wrapped up in the shave soap I forgot all about the aftershaves. Oops!:huh:

If you eventually want to step up from normal VDH then Target carries the fancier versions for $4, both scented and unscented.

Oh, and odds are that you don't have 'sensitive' skin. If you're like the 99.99% of the rest of us, you have normal skin but have been taking horrible care of it.
Stick around here for a while and you'll be amazed at how much healthier your skin gets.

One thing i will say is stay away from:

GFT Soaps
Mama Bear Soaps (maybe with the exception of her unscented)

Both of those soaps burnt the daylights out of my skin. They smelled wonderful though.

Soaps I've used without issue:

AoS Sandalwood
Cella (heavily scented, may irritate)
RazorRock Artisan Boston Tea Party (similar to above)

Tabac might be a hit and miss for you - you either love the smell or hate it.

Green Proraso is also heavily scented with eucalyptus and menthol; menthol also might not be the best choice if you really have sensitive skin. Also green is more like a summer soap - refreshing and cool.

While arko lathers like a champ, it has a little downside on moisturising. Nonetheless, it has all the beauty and moisturising of a tallow based soap. I happen to very much like its citronella and limey scent.

I'd say stick with proraso white, its a good moisturiser and lathers nicely. Smell is allright, too.

I can also suggest you buy both proraso and arko; since arko is dirt cheap. Just my opinions though; whatever you choose; I hope you have a nice and clean shave.

Edit: I just remembered TOBS Jermyn St. soap - a lot of people like the scent and smoothness of the soap.
Here are some thoughts:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/254304-Tobs-Jermyn-street-now-in-soap-form!/page4

Last edited:
Tabac is a damn fine product, and nothing I've tried has beat it in terms of getting performance out of a hard soap. Proraso, Arko, Col. Conk, Williams all performed less and produced a thinner lather (Arko is probably the best of these 4, but I found it's smell to be too sweet). Tabac's smell is ok, it has an essence that is urinal cakey, but for the most part it smells like a nice soap should. Also my skin has reacted to TOBS Sandlewood, Col. Conk and the new Proraso didn't provide very much cushion, and old Proraso caused a minor reaction (also wasn't too big a fan of the sweet menthol smell). Williams is surprisingly good, but not in the same league as Tabac, it's similar to Arko actually.

Last edited:
Top Bottom