What's new

Misspelling

I tend make an effort to be as sagacious as I can regarding spelling and grammar. Although there are some words that I have been misspelling my whole life. One word that I continue to spell out incorrectly to this day is "exhist". :a6:

Everyone's got one. What's yours?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
bear / bare & quiet / quite.
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Getting stung by the spelling bee is like having trouble spelling mistakes". CBJ

Last edited:
Anything with ie or ei. That rule of "I before E except after C" really is unhelpful at best.

I don't think that I have ever correctly spelled accessibility or businesses correctly by freehand either (or maybe that is iether...)
Did I get my point accross?

nite/tonite...

lazy over two damn letters huh?

but what i don't understand is given that when i type my computer tells me what is spelled wrong, and with the ease of a right click, it can be corrected, but on forums everywhere, no one bothers to fix their spelling errors...??

the one slang term that is often misspelled that i don't get (and is a pet peave of mine) from folks is:

:: siked :: as in "I am siked about the razor i just got at the antique shop"

it's: "PSYCHED" !

(sorry, always wanted to put that out there)

when i type my computer tells me what is spelled wrong, and with the ease of a right click, it can be corrected, but on forums everywhere, no one bothers to fix their spelling errors...??

I use Google Chrome which has a spell-checker plugin (multilingual). For example, I'd just written "multilanguage" and the spell checker marked it red and corrected it to "multilingual". Is it right? Is multilanguage really wrong? Who knows.

the one slang term that is often misspelled that i don't get (and is a pet peave of mine) from folks is:

:: siked :: as in "I am siked about the razor i just got at the antique shop"

it's: "PSYCHED" !

(sorry, always wanted to put that out there)

:lol: I think you mean "peeve"

Also, to be fair, whichever town drunkard signed off on the accepted spelling of "p-s-y-ched" was wrong in the first place.

Fish and Potatoes for dinner?

How to spell fish

George Bernard Shaw is said to have written a London Times article[SUP]1[/SUP] when he was campaigning for spelling reform, giving the following example:

• If gh is pronounced f as in enough
  • If o is pronounced i as in women
  • If th is pronounced sh as in motion
  • Then the spelling of fish should be ghoti

How to spell potato

Many people remember way back in 1992, when the then Vice-President Dan Quayle's image was unfairly destroyed by a simple spelling mistake. At the Luis Munoz Rivera School he 'helped' a 12-year old student spell the word potato. Although the student had already spelt[SUP]2[/SUP] the word correctly, Quayle added an "e" to the end of the word. Not that it matters one jot of course, there are much more important things for a vice-president to worry about; like himself and the president being voted out of office a few months later.
Sew, if you have difficulty spelling sum times, take hart - your not a loan!
Here's yet another alternative spelling of potato:

• If gh is pronounced p as in hiccough
  • If ough is pronounced o as in dough
  • If phth is pronounced t as in phthisis
  • If eigh is pronounced a as in neighbour
  • If tte is pronounced t as in gazette
  • If eau is pronounced o as in beau
  • Then the spelling of potato should be ghoughphtheightteeau

Not me personally but I always get annnoyed when folk misuse your and you're...

It's the difference between knowing your sh*t
And knowing you're sh*t...

Top Bottom