What's new

TTO Repair Tool

Hi Guys,

If like me, you have a few TTO razors where the bottom (tto knob) etc has dropped you may be interested in this homemade tool that I created to repair this problem. This is especially common with 1940s Super Speeds etc

(see image 1)
The bottom of the razor is held in place by the outer barrel being pressed into a groove in the inner part. Sometimes this hasn't been done deep enough and the razor has the fault as shown.

I came up with the idea of using a small copper pipe cutter and adapting to suit. What you need to do it remove the cutting wheel and blunt the edge (or you'll just cut your razor in half) by filing flat.

Image 3 shows the edge of the wheel filed flat so as not to damage the razor.

The pipe cutter I found cost around £3.00 new!

I filed down the wheel, replaced and tried on my first Super Speed - be gentle and take your time, tightening the wheel whilst turning the tool around the razor. Keep checking and after a short while, presto, the groove will be tightened down onto the inner sleeve of the razor and you are good to go.

The pictures below should explain better.

Hope this is of use :001_smile

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Very cool, I do something similar on my metal lathe, I press a small round nosed tool bit into the groove while running the lathe in reverse.
Same principle, I wonder if you could replace the cutter with a steel washer?

What an outstanding idea.

Thanks so much for sharing this. A friend's father's razor needs this done and I had not thought to try it this way.

Very cool, I do something similar on my metal lathe, I press a small round nosed tool bit into the groove while running the lathe in reverse.
Same principle, I wonder if you could replace the cutter with a steel washer?

I think he says to replace the cutter with a steel washer

I think Bob means rather than file down the cutting wheel, to use a washer in it's place. It would probably be easier to use a metal disk and drill the centre hole to the right size for the screw. If you have a lathe, this would be even easier to do.

I think he says to replace the cutter with a steel washer

I fixed it, I bought a mini tube cutter, replaced the cutter wheel with a washer, also used two smaller washers on each side of the big washer as stabilizers to reduce play. Pushed the knob all the way in, then tightened up the nut to apply pressure to the washer edge. Ran it around a couple times, tightened it a bit more ran it around the handle a couple times, tightened once more, ran it around the handle. Low and behold, the knob doesn't pull out from the main handle. But, the steel rollers on the tube cutter flattened some of the raised milling work (grip marks) on the handle. But it's pretty minor, the main thing is it's fixed. I plan to buy a better washer in the future that has a bit smaller hole in the middle to better fit the bolt from the cutter that goes into the hole. Thanks for the info guys, probably wouldn't have figured out how to fix it.

Top Bottom