What's new

Se vs de razors ?

How do SE razors compare to DE razors in terms of closeness & comfort? I've heard that it's easier to get the proper angle with a SE because of the shape? Also, which is best, flip top or push button? I've seen some nice Gem SE's at reasonable prices and I'm considering trying one. Are good SE blades readily available?

Many of us find great satisfaction in SE razor shaves. Generally speaking, the older, flip-top razors are a little more aggressive (and, I feel, more effective) than the later push-button models, but it really has nothing to do with the mechanism--just the head geometry.

SE blades are much thicker and stiffer than DE blades and that probably plays a part in making the shaving experience different. That experience, for me, translates into a close, effortless shave with more shaves per blade than the average DE blade/razor combo.

The older style 1912 patent models are generally the most positively recognized around here, though I'm two shaves into a 1914 patent Ever-Ready that I picked up a couple of months ago and am very happy with it, too.

- Chris

Last edited:
How about a little more detail on the "making the shaving experience different". Are they less likely to cause razor burn? Are they less manuverable along the jaw and around the nose (the head seems to be very big)?? Is the blade more or less supported along the edge compared to a DE?

Good quality blades are readily available at Wal-Greens, and CVS. Look for the SE blades branded as "Gem". Many people seems to think the Gem blades sold by Ted Pella are of better quality, but you do need to buy them in bulk. Although these blades appear to be the same thing:

PTFE Coated Single Edge blades at Amazon.

+1 I totally agree. Rite-Aid carries the Treet Line (made by ASR) as are the GEM Blade at Walgreens. I used both and I really see no difference. Give it a try. I had my first shave with a GEM on Saturday and Sunday.. I liked it..

How about a little more detail on the "making the shaving experience different". Are they less likely to cause razor burn? Are they less manuverable along the jaw and around the nose (the head seems to be very big)?? Is the blade more or less supported along the edge compared to a DE?

It feels different on the face, it sounds different when it's cutting hairs, and it requires some more maneuvering around the nose area than a DE. Some guys find it shaves closer, some find it tears up their face more, and some can get a similar shave to a DE. You won't know until you try it, and for the price of a decent SE razor, it's definitely worth trying. I've had good success with the Gem Personna blades available at Walgreen's, and I've heard good things about the Treet blades available at Rite-Aid, although I have not tried them myself. The 1912 model is an excellent place to start. Some guys find the Micromatic to be a little too aggressive, so you may not want to start off with one of those.

Mostly the ability to hear each whisker being cut (quite loudly) and the resulting very close shave when it's all over. Support is similar, but, as I said before, the blade is much stiffer, so the result is different. The SE blade is too stiff to be bent as it's clamped into place, making the head geometry very different.

- Chris

SE wins over DE as far as how nice of a shave you can get. I used DEs for two years, like every type you can think of, and then I went to straights. I just recently got into SE razors, especially the GEM 1912, and the shaves from that thing are just as nice as my straights and quicker to achieve. I always had missed spots under my chin from DE razors, and sometimes red spots, especially from the Fat boys. The SE razors will make noise when they shave, informing you of how effective your angle is, this is something a DE won't do for you.

If you buy the 200 count of razors from Ted Pella you won't be sorry. You'll have a lot of blades on hand once you find out the power of the SE razors.

Top Bottom