What's new

Am I the only person in the western world not on Facebook?

My work means I'm away from home for a month at a time six times a year and when I'm away my work Internet has a block on sites such as facebook etc. So I've never bothered setting up an account. When I get back from work I always enjoy heading down the local at the weekend and catching up with my friends over a few cold ones. However the conversations they have now seem to always revolve around what people have put up on their page etc. Infact most topics of conversation usually sees facebook get a mention, I've even had people tell me that they've seen pictures of me on peoples pages ( I'm not sure I like my image being broadcast to the world without my knowledge/permission). Am I turning into a social leper because I don't have a "page" or are there other people in the world who prefer not to publish there lives online for the world to see?

My work means I'm away from home for a month at a time six times a year and when I'm away my work Internet has a block on sites such as facebook etc. So I've never bothered setting up an account. When I get back from work I always enjoy heading down the local at the weekend and catching up with my friends over a few cold ones. However the conversations they have now seem to always revolve around what people have put up on their page etc. Infact most topics of conversation usually sees facebook get a mention, I've even had people tell me that they've seen pictures of me on peoples pages ( I'm not sure I like my image being broadcast to the world without my knowledge/permission). Am I turning into a social leper because I don't have a "page" or are there other people in the world who prefer not to publish there lives online for the world to see?

they have a facebook group for people who don't have facebook, you should join it and meet other people who also don't have facebook accounts.
:biggrin1:

I'm holding out for an anti-social networking site.

But I fear these shallow sites are the way of the future. There was a report on the news the other day of primary school children using facebook to submit their homework. Soon they may simply be "how things are done." Just as letters gave way to phone calls, etc.

I'm 25 and i got rid of it about 2 years ago. complete time waster. I don't miss it one little bit

You're never going to be able to function in society without Facebook. It's one of the new necessities.

Seriously, it's weird to me. It's a terrific way to keep in touch with distant friends and family. Far more user friendly than E-mail. It's brilliant, really. It has chat, the option to post photos, public messaging, private messaging, a way to create events, etc. Really just a terrific idea. However, it has its sordid side. People become totally addicted to it. Almost dependent upon it. I'm at bars and people are telling one another to friend each other on Facebook. Now you can keep up with this person, whom you've spent five minutes with, forever. I remember a joke about the more friends you have on these social networking sites, the fewer you have in real life. I don't have many friends in real life or on Facebook, but some of my "real life" friends have 500+ Facebook friends, but probably hang out with and associate with under 20, maybe under 10, in real life. That I don't get.

I'd say you're better off without it, but as you yourself have observed, without it you may feel outside. It's not something that's going to go away.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I have better things to do than waste my time on either Facebook or Twitter...like enjoying my time with my family, B & B, good friends, a good wine, beer or spirit, and a cigar. (Yeah Baby!!!). :lol1:

Just say No!!!

Christopher
proxy.php
proxy.php

But I fear these shallow sites are the way of the future. There was a report on the news the other day of primary school children using facebook to submit their homework. Soon they may simply be "how things are done." Just as letters gave way to phone calls, etc.

It isn't facebook, but most colleges use blackboard like that. I think it's actually pretty useful. All the course materials, even including required readings, can be posted in accessible format. It can be updated with copies of assignments. Students can also use it as a way to turn in documents (papers, exams, etc.). It's more powerful than just that--you can use it for everything from course discussions--remarkably like this--to keeping track of grades.

Overall, I think it's great. It cuts down on wasted paper and makes classes more affordable for students. The only thing I don't like is the discussion option. Unless you're willing to moderate it, you can imagine the directions it can take.

I was on fb, then dropped off. waste of time... to much time...
Plus nobody was interested in shaving :w00t:

I unfortinuatly am on crackbook. Didn't really have much of a choice. When I was a helpdesk technician in one of our buildings I had users asking me about it and accessing it at work etc and having never heard of it I went and took a look.

The only good thing I've found about it is that I got back in touch with a bunch of friends from collage whose carrers have them moving from city to city.

I joined Facebook 2yrs ago, was on it for a couple months and found a lot of people I had lost contact with, then remembered why we "lost" contact in the first place. I never use it anymore I feel it is too invasive, but to each their own.

I'm on it but only keep people that I've spoken to in the last 6 months. That and the gf likes seeing the "in a relationship with Craig"! I'm active on twitter because that's where I go to communicate with people who are interested in the same things I am; there's a good amount of shaving discussion there.

I don't really get the anti-social networking thing unless you have a reason for it. I don't like FB because of their security flaws, but it isn't a time-waster unless you decide to waste time. I've also turned in assignments on FB for one class. I have to say that it's easier to use and a lot more reliable than Blackboard!

If you don't like them, don't join them.

Top Bottom