What's new

Those of you who take a multi, what do you use?

I don't use them. I prefer to eat a varied diet as rich in fruits and vegetables as I can get.

Which is the best way to go. Having worked with clients from 8 to 80, it's almost impossible to get everything in due to timing and schedule constraints but it is the best option.

I don't use them. I prefer to eat a varied diet as rich in fruits and vegetables as I can get.

I don't understand, bob... Why wouldn't you want very expensive urine, given you get all the nutrients you need and more from a good diet

I've been taking GNC Mega Men Energy and Metabolism. I find that I have more "pep" when I take them, as compared to when I don't.

It has about 100mg of caffeine in it, which is likely what you're feeling. Literally every ingredient is in a form your body must "double-process" to even begin to use. This being when vitamins are in the non-coenzymated forms, they are excreted through the urine before they are used.

I prefer to eat a varied diet as well and have tried to cut out a lot of processed foods. Even so, I take multivitamins as a precaution. Currently using Trader Joe's multivitamin and mineral antioxidant formula. I also take fish oil capsules for Omega 3 - the ones from TJ are made from molecularly distilled anchovy and sardine oil. I had a heck of a time trying to figure out the right brand to pick - a good quality combination at a decent price. Since the supplement industry is not FDA regulated, its difficult to find objective information to trust. For fish oil - its not clear whether molecularly distilled is better or not, for example. Would love to hear from people recommendations that meet the above criteria, as well as where to get them.

Gents, my purpose here is not to tear down what you are using, please believe me, nor do I have any agenda of my own. I simply have found a great group here and what I lack in knowledge (that I rely on you all for) in shaving, I am well-versed as a dietician and in the arena of sports-nutrition, so I am offering my help as a simply civil servant. :thumbup:

i take no offense at your comments.i also dont reject your reasoning.my doctor doesnt like the centrum either but its what ive been taking.im looking to changing to the liquid formula my doc's recomending.he's pretty spot on so far and i pay a small fortune for his opion.thanks for sharing your expertise and when i get the info tommorrow ill run it past you.

My nutritional supplement for most of my life has been in the form of a drink, such as Instant Breakfast. I prefer a food form that I believe the body is better able to put to use.

Illadelphia, I've been taking a close look at the controlled labs orange triad. It looks to have a LOT of vitamin E which has been tied to an increased risk of prostate cancer. What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Animal pak for the win

No. Animal pak in its 9 pill single dose lacks a good deal of what 9 pills should have. I am on my phone but if you post up a label, I'll be happy to go over it.

Illadelphia, I've been taking a close look at the controlled labs orange triad. It looks to have a LOT of vitamin E which has been tied to an increased risk of prostate cancer. What are your thoughts on this?

OT utilizes several tocopherols, which are entirely beneficial. I know the study you are referring to and it addressed the unuseable forms of E which many multis rely on.

OT is what I use. At $25 for a month and a half, superior forms of its vitamins for the most part and a additional joint (which to me is unneeded, and a digestion complex) is has what I need. Orthocore is more pricey but is literally the best multi ever created, such is the reason for the price tag.

My nutritional supplement for most of my life has been in the form of a drink, such as Instant Breakfast. I prefer a food form that I believe the body is better able to put to use.

Much of what is in those are cheap fillers. I know my mom takes "reliv" and reading the label it's clear that nothing is used in a form that the body would benefit from. When the body has to use a double-enzymatic conversion to simply process a B vitamin, it becomes useless.

Quick example:

Cyanocobalamin (the inferior form of b12, widely used in many multis/drinks) is $400 a kilo. Methylcobalamin (which is the superior form, not widely used because many people don't know it is required) is $8,000 a kilo.

I prefer to eat a varied diet as well and have tried to cut out a lot of processed foods. Even so, I take multivitamins as a precaution. Currently using Trader Joe's multivitamin and mineral antioxidant formula. I also take fish oil capsules for Omega 3 - the ones from TJ are made from molecularly distilled anchovy and sardine oil. I had a heck of a time trying to figure out the right brand to pick - a good quality combination at a decent price. Since the supplement industry is not FDA regulated, its difficult to find objective information to trust. For fish oil - its not clear whether molecularly distilled is better or not, for example. Would love to hear from people recommendations that meet the above criteria, as well as where to get them.

With
this I have always gone with a ccompany I trust.

Controlled labs Oximega
SAN Triple Fish Fats
NOW Ultra Omega 3 (I think I posted super omega 369 last page as well)

Are the only ones I would use. Basically you need to look at the EPA/DHA breakdown. It may be a total of 2g but with 1500mg coming from filler oils and such.

Vitafusion- Multivites. The gummi ones. I know they probably don't do anthing but I would eat gummi bears anyways, so what can it hurt.

Jay

What's your opinion on Quest's 'Super Once A Day Timed Release'? I've been using these for probably well over a decade.

I didn't verify each ingredient, but this description seems to match that on the package in front of me:
http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=1739

I like the NOW brand as well. I see you mentioned it above.

The chelated minerals are not right. Albion Labs owns the patent on them and such would have to be released through them. This certainly does not contain chelated minerals. My biggest gripe with this, like many other is poor forms of the lettered vitamins A/B/C/D/E...

For a quick reference point, b6 should be in the form of p5p, not ph. The body must first activate it into p5p in order to use it, making it all but worthless.

My rationale has always been if you are going to use a multi, use one that you can get the best out of. My post earlier of Orthocore (which is a 6 cap dosing, spread over 2-3 doses) can be dosed at 1/2 strength and still be better than 99.99% of what is commercially available.

For something cheaper, look into Source Life Force Multi. Reasonable, not the best, but even if you double the dose to 4 per day, you're still almost a full month at under $10

Can you confirm that you are saying that all companies which source their chelated minerals through a source other than Albion are not in fact using chelated minerals?

My quick read of the situation is that Albion has a patent on one specific form of chelation.

I was curious...

Types of Chelates:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelates_in_animal_nutrition#Particular_types_of_Chelates
http://www.rd2.co.nz/uploads/Conversations%20on%20chelation%20and%20mineral%20nutrition.pdf

Albion nutrition's patent is for a type of chelation. i.e. a patented amino acid chelation:
http://www.albionminerals.com/human-nutrition/quality/traacs-ft-ir-analysis

I know there's some medical professionals and at least one med student in the crowd who might be able to clarify, correct or confirm.

I take Ultra Vita Man from Puritan's Pride. Directions say take two per day, but I just take one.

I also take 200mcg Chromium Picolinate and three Omega 3-6-9 softgels daily as recommended by Dr. Atkins (I'm currently on a low carb. diet).

That is the vitamin I usually take too - Ultra Vita Man from PP. Curious about your thoughts on it. Was thinking of putting in another order today along with some Vit D.

Gents, my purpose here is not to tear down what you are using, please believe me, nor do I have any agenda of my own. I simply have found a great group here and what I lack in knowledge (that I rely on you all for) in shaving, I am well-versed as a dietician and in the arena of sports-nutrition, so I am offering my help as a simply civil servant. :thumbup:

Nice gesture. My complaint is 1. taking a multitude of pills and 2. tasting that nasty sucker during the morning after I take it. Yuk.

I've tried a lot of things on the natural type path, which was expensive and ... dude... I can't deal with that taste and sour stomach that comes with a handful of natural organic blah blah hype pills. Know what I mean? Maybe that comes from taking them on an empty stomach.

My diet pretty much sucks ... I don't eat sugars and do what I can, but I just don't eat much these days. Bacheloritis.

Top Bottom