What's new

Glycerin Soaps: Pears versus Clearly Natural

I was at the Indian grocery yesterday and came across the Pears bath soap so often talked about here. I didn't buy any (got some Chindraka Ayurvedic soap instead), but I was wondering... could you guys who have tried both give me a little comparison?

I've used Pears off/on. I like it myself but some may not like the slight medicinal scent it has. They use an essential oil in it, cedar, thyme and rosemary. Im pretty sure this combo gives it its unique scent.

John,

I've tried both and I'm not impressed with either of them. Clearly natural provided a thin lather (both shaving and bathing), and the scent was very weak. I prefer the scent of the Pears soap better. It is not strong, but had a bit longer life. I never tried to shave with the Pears soap. The only real complaint with Pears is, at least for me, it left a "sticky" feeling. And I tried 3 bars, all with the same results.

Randy

Hey Randy, by sticky do you mean it leaves a film on you?

I like the Chandrika, it smells like incense...but still a little drying.

John,

It didn't really seem to leave a film behind, but just a "feeling". If that makes sense. My bar went from the shower to a hand soap to the trash. I just did not care for it. But it is cheap enough you should give it a try. As always, YMMV!

Randy

Hey Randy, by sticky do you mean it leaves a film on you?

I have tried only a few bars of glycerin soap but I don't prefer them either for the same reason...they all seem to leave that strange "feeling" on you. Some more so than others. I always assumed that is intentional though...the point being you've got to have some glycerin on your skin to do what it's supposed to do. I just somehow don't feel clean when I use them though that is probably just an illusion.

I was at the Indian grocery yesterday and came across the Pears bath soap so often talked about here. I didn't buy any (got some Chindraka Ayurvedic soap instead), but I was wondering... could you guys who have tried both give me a little comparison?
Whole Foods Market has a good glycerin soap, the 365 brand, in lavender, grapefruit, aloe vera, unscented, etc. I like it better than the other glycerin soaps you mentioned. It runs under $2 per bar.

The current Pears soap bares no relation to the Pears soap of old. The current product is garbage, bin it and move on.
I would use Neutrogena in North America or Waitrose glycerine soap in the UK.

Top Bottom