What's new

Charlotte, NC Area

I'm in the Charlotte, NC area (specifically in University City). Does anyone around here, that has lived in this area longer (as I am originally from Salisbury), know of any hidden gems like beauty shops, drug stores, mom and pops, etc. that carry a good selection of shaving gear? I want to try a ton of stuff now that my technique is better, but I really don't want to spend tons on shipping.

Thanks!

At Southpark Mall (where the Dick's and McCormick and Schmick is) I think there's a Caswell-Massey, Crabtree and Evelyn, Neiman-Marcus, Nordstrom, and I think a L'Occitane or one of those stores that was exclusive to French brands. You might want to call Crabtree and Evelyn and see what they have there, but when I stopped by the Caswell-Massey store they did have brushes and shaving goods on display. The nice lady working there offered me free samples of their shave cream. I politely declined :w00t:.

I have been to Crabtree and Evelynand L'Occitane at NorthLake Mall in north Charlotte. What kinds of creams does Caswell-Massey sell? Are they of poor quality?

I haven't tried the creams, but they've been panned by a lot of members here which is why I declined. If you get a chance, check out the Antique Alley near Matthews. I got my first slant from there, and it looked like the elderly couple running the store had quite a few Gillettes and some gold plated razors. Knowing what I know now, I can't help but wonder if I passed up on a Fatboy or an Aristocrat :bored:.

I'm in the Charlotte, NC area (specifically in University City). Does anyone around here, that has lived in this area longer (as I am originally from Salisbury), know of any hidden gems like beauty shops, drug stores, mom and pops, etc. that carry a good selection of shaving gear? I want to try a ton of stuff now that my technique is better, but I really don't want to spend tons on shipping.

Thanks!

Small world... I am originally from Charlotte, now living in the Salisbury area just outside of Faith. Moved up here in the late 70's.

Southpark and Northlake are the only two that I know of. I'll have to check out Antique Alley. If I can find it. Is it downtown Matthews? I have not been into any of the antique stores around here.

There is Lilly's auction house that might have a few things every once in a while. You can sign up for their flyers to see what they will be selling at the auction.

Sorry I can't help you out with the University area. I'm an hour away from it, so I rarely go up there.

Small world... I am originally from Charlotte, now living in the Salisbury area just outside of Faith. Moved up here in the late 70's.

That is pretty cool. I go to Faith every year to see the fireworks. It's incredibly possible we've seen each other at one time or another, as I used to work at the Food Lion on Faith Road beside Lowe's when I was in high school.

OK, now I just gave out way too much info...*puts aluminum foil hat on head*

Howard and oogitsmelol:

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check out Antique Alley if I ever travel down to Matthews.

Southpark and Northlake are the only two that I know of. I'll have to check out Antique Alley. If I can find it. Is it downtown Matthews? I have not been into any of the antique stores around here.

There is Lilly's auction house that might have a few things every once in a while. You can sign up for their flyers to see what they will be selling at the auction.

Sorry I can't help you out with the University area. I'm an hour away from it, so I rarely go up there.

Oog, from the Charlotte area you take that road that goes by McAlpine park and then take a left when you get to downtown Matthews by the collectibles store and the coffee shop. You take a right sometime after the railroad tracks and the store's on your left. It's been two years since I've been there, so there's no telling what you might find.

Oog, from the Charlotte area you take that road that goes by McAlpine park and then take a left when you get to downtown Matthews by the collectibles store and the coffee shop. You take a right sometime after the railroad tracks and the store's on your left. It's been two years since I've been there, so there's no telling what you might find.

Alright. I'm coming from the other direction, but I know where you are talking about. Actually I was down that road the other day... The collectibles store is still there, but the coffee shop is gone now (I think it is anyways, haven't paid much attention). I hope the antiques place is still there.

A quick google brought this up:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&u...342498&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=image

Looks like I would take a right at Christopher's, and head down to the bowling alley.

hey, im from winston-salem (about an hour and a half from charlotte) and i go to charlotte alot for concerts and such. do you know of any good stores along either Tremont or Tryon street?

hey, im from winston-salem (about an hour and a half from charlotte) and i go to charlotte alot for concerts and such. do you know of any good stores along either Tremont or Tryon street?

Mmm, can't say that I do. The only thing I really remember about Tryon St. is the traffic, getting lost, taking the freeway, getting lost again...

There might be something in the Bank of America Plaza and I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some kind of exclusive men's salon that sold shaving and skincare goods downtown.

Mmm, can't say that I do. The only thing I really remember about Tryon St. is the traffic, getting lost, taking the freeway, getting lost again...

There might be something in the Bank of America Plaza and I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some kind of exclusive men's salon that sold shaving and skincare goods downtown.

whats the name of that big mall there by the convention center?? is that the one you originaly were referring to?

You're talking about the downtown convention center right? That's a couple blocks away from the Craft and Design museum? My mind's blanking on any actual malls that could be close to there. There are a ton of shops and plazas up and down Trade Street and downtown in general.

I really do think your best bet would be to go to Eastland mall and possibly swing by Penguin's for supper on your way to a concert.

That is pretty cool. I go to Faith every year to see the fireworks. It's incredibly possible we've seen each other at one time or another, as I used to work at the Food Lion on Faith Road beside Lowe's when I was in high school.

OK, now I just gave out way too much info...*puts aluminum foil hat on head*

I'm sure we HAVE seen each other then. That's the store I've shopped at since '87. You would remember me, too. I was the one that looked like a monkey and always grinned like this:

proxy.php

I'll have to remember this thread, as I'm moving to Charlotte in the next few months. Thanks for the info.

South Park Mall
Nordstroms - Art of shaving products :thumbup:
Neiman Marcus - Khiels
L'occitane
Crabtree & Evelyn
Caswell & Massey
Bath & Body works - Proraso (for CO Bigelow) :thumbup:

Elsewhere in Charlotte
GNC - Thayers Witch hazel Lavender
Earth Fare - KMF and Toms of Maine shaving creams
Esquire Big and Tall (Corner of Central ave and Eastway) - Believe it or not they keep a small stock of Truefitt & Hill 1805 shaving cream and some of their EDT's

Fairly new member from the University City area as well. I noticed the 49ers logo as your avatar. I work there. Small world!

I've been exploring stores in the area - mostly on my own. I think Akoni listed all of them that I'm aware of, except Esquire Big and Tall. I'll have to check that one out!

--Bob

Thanks!

I'll be visiting my in-laws in the Charlotte area over Christmas (I live in Scotland now and there is nothing retail here that I know of) and will have to remember this thread also.

Top Bottom