What's new

Lapping film, try it.

Has anyone tried a thick blade yet? I have a 8/8 Marshes and Shepard and a friend's 8/8 Wade and Butcher to do; but wonder if this will eat through the film quickly.

yes... i have honed everything from 4/8" to 12/8ths....... metal is metal... the film cares not....

A 12/8ths? Soooo...a wood axe?
lol... almost... it is a huge smiling fixed chopper i made.... it isn't complete but it will shave....

here it is unhoned....

proxy.php

Gotta say these films saved me last night.

I finished up a custom I made for myself out of Japanese White Steel (pics forthcoming in the other forum....). Suggested tempering on it was 400 °F for a 63 HRC and I tempered twice at 385 °F hoping to get a 63-64 HRC razor for my hardest razor ever.

Started the bevel setting on my chosera 400 and when I thought it was ready I went to the chosera 1K. Spent like an hour honing on the 1K and the damn thing kept microchipping and not taking a bevel. Thought I hosed myself, but then I pulled out the 12 um lapping film and went to work. Sure enough in no time I had a bevel shaving arm hair with ease and no microchipping present under the loupe.

I continued on with the lapping film for fear of microchipping on my naturals and took it to a 0.3 um finish. Holy dynamite laser edge when I test shaved last night. WTG pass felt better than any other razor I'm used. The razor edge was so sharp that my ATG pass ended up with some skin bumping from not using an ultra low pressure technique. Might give the shave a go again this evening with ultra light pressure or I may take it to my Wakasa Japanese natural that has proven to be the best finisher for my white steel kamisori's.

Just ordered a 3"x8" 1/4 glass plate for use with the films. Pick it up tomorrow.

Did you order this online or local? I want to get a 2" x 8" glass or granite surface for these. Might have to look around locally this weekend.

I've been using my Frankonian hone as a base as I've pretty much stopped using that. Actually am hoping to purge off most my hones save the ones I use most (Escher, JNats, and coticule).

Joe, any glass shop should be able to cut these for you for a few dollars, just be sure to ask them to sand down the edges after they are cut.

I had a 2.5"x8, 2"x8, 1.5"x8 inch pieces of glass cut for less than 5 dollars.

Joe, any glass shop should be able to cut these for you for a few dollars, just be sure to ask them to sand down the edges after they are cut.

Same here, they said it would be 5 bucks.

Will have to try to find one in my area. Guess I'm just so used to ordering everything online these days.

Is there a reason why my 1 micron film wears out quickly? It seems that only after five razors the film has empty specs/spots. The other grits are fine.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Just ordered a 3"x8" 1/4 glass plate for use with the films. Pick it up tomorrow.

I have a few. I call them the back of my Shapton GlassStones.

Today marks my first go at the films (thanks, Tony!). They appear to be very simple to use, and I'll report details later. I think you could make a simple, killer rig with a stone holder, a 1K GlassStone, a coticule, and some film.

I have a few. I call them the back of my Shapton GlassStones.

Today marks my first go at the films (thanks, Tony!). They appear to be very simple to use, and I'll report details later. I think you could make a simple, killer rig with a stone holder, a 1K GlassStone, a coticule, and some film.
you forgot the paperclip....

proxy.php

Your welcome Jay. I hope they work out well for you.

Just got done with an old Bengall wedge with films. It turned out real nice.

Can't wait to try the .3 that should be here this week.

Top Bottom