What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

I love my La Grise, after a couple weeks of practice I'm really getting a feel for the feedback of the stone. It gives an awesome edge, and I'm finally able to get repeatable HHT4s on 2 of my razors.

I just aquired a Grise from Scott AKA "The Pusher" AKA life2short.......yeah that Guy :)

Stone characteristics between it and my La Dressante are polarizing. Grise feels like hard rubber, and my Dress feels like glass. Speed is the same as feel. Slow/slower and Med-fast/Slow respectivley.
I have just about nailed down my technique, and it seems to work the same for both coticules.

I also have a La Vienette bout on the way from Jarrod. I will get pics of "The Boys" up when they are all together.

Grise gives a Super Smooth Edge. My La Dress is not as smooth as grise, but it is very mellow. Feels like a hot knife slicing butter when I use one of my La Dress honed blades. I so love Coticules.

Jon

Last edited:
You know Jon I just received another I think you should take a look at.....:lol: The BBW side is lapped flat and has no pits or holes its just the way the stone formed and I cannot feel the inclusions with my fingers. The vintage stone is 125x60

$IMG_3612.jpg$IMG_3614.jpg$IMG_3616.jpg

Last edited:
Well here is my latest stone. It is a La Veinette combo bout. This one is long and skinny. Almost 8" and 1/2-3/4 wide. Last night I honed one of my blades on the wide side where the the yellow/bbw meet. Results were excellent, it lacked nothing to be desired with this mornings shave.

Stone is very fast on slurry, and med-fast on water. I have to rinse the hone and razor about every 20 laps while on water because of metal removal. It is a great stone, and my favorite so far.

Jon

Attachments

• $La Veinette.jpg
    $La Veinette.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 173
Well here is my latest stone. It is a La Veinette combo bout. This one is long and skinny. Almost 8" and 1/2-3/4 wide. Last night I honed one of my blades on the wide side where the the yellow/bbw meet. Results were excellent, it lacked nothing to be desired with this mornings shave.

Stone is very fast on slurry, and med-fast on water. I have to rinse the hone and razor about every 20 laps while on water because of metal removal. It is a great stone, and my favorite so far.

Jon

Jon, I like the long skinny ones the best

In going through my stones, I’m not sure if I ever posted this little one. I got it a few months back. It’s a LPB “slurry sized” bout. I think I’m in the minority in that I don’t mind using these smaller stones. That said, this thing provides an extremely comfortable edge. I think this is my new favorite bathroom touch-up/travel stone.

Attachments

• $LpB.JPG
    $LpB.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 166
In going through my stones, I’m not sure if I ever posted this little one. I got it a few months back. It’s a LPB “slurry sized” bout. I think I’m in the minority in that I don’t mind using these smaller stones. That said, this thing provides an extremely comfortable edge. I think this is my new favorite bathroom touch-up/travel stone.

That does look like my counter

Here are all my stones-the big black one is a JNAT
proxy.php

proxy.php

That's a nifty little LPB Obiwan. Nice!

Jon

here is my coticules you can see my little la verte. the top row and the first coticule is my la vainette , which is my only work horse as i sold the rest of my collection. I had great time using the other stones , but decided to stick with my one and only LV. the little la verte bout is 100x 30 m. thats ideal for every day use or travel, i've superb edges from that alone .

Attachments

• $gary 1.jpg
    $gary 1.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
That stone is a coticule 200x60mm leslat hybrid the other side is leslat the side you see is hybrid. i can onestly say i had some of the most hair poping shrpest edges from that side . i thought i'd never sell that hone .. jimmy over at srp now is the owner of that stone and he loves it.

the top row goes like this la vainette , la grosse jaune amzing smooth finisher , la grosse blanch ( very mellow edges) la drassante au blue ,next row down la patite blanche very nice edges but very frustrating at times, leslat hybrid , leslat side super fast with slurry very nice finisher. while hybrid side was'nt far of with slurry yet reached keeness so very easily with super sharp smooth edges . la drassante bout worked atreat . next one very nice vintage combo , the feel whilst honing was super nice great coticule .final one was aparantly la patite blanch glued to slate for some reason it worked a treat with unicot method never spent enought time with dilucot.

the lavainette i kept hold of is 150x40mm standard and the edges are just all round perfect for me . fast enough with slurry must be quik with water . i can come of 30 final laps with water with a violin. Perform just 10 more and i have a perfect hht 3 even 4 with more laps ..
i have tryed with oil and i have had some nice results oil as you no well, i have found can give that extra kick to hht when needed.

gary

I love that les lat hybrid Gary. I was so tempted when you were selling that one. I love small touch up stones. I probably have 10 of them buried somewhere in this thread. Another favorite of mine is my LV (I think it's 120x28ish).

Attachments

• $La Verte.JPG
    $La Verte.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Top Bottom