What's new

Acquisitions October 12 - 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Santa Maria Novella Patchouli After-Shave splash.

Yum-O.

Not just alcohol. Lots of glycerin and a healthy shot of menthol. Will review in a couple of weeks.

From Mama Sue:

Fire Opal soap rock

Creme Brulee SS(smells good enough to eat!)

Spicey Lime SS(Arise sir! I say Arise!)

marty

An unexpected (and free!) acquisition today at work. Long story, shortened:

I mentioned to someone that I really admired the craftsmanship of the old Gillette razors, and we were reflecting on old vs. new craftsmanship in general.

Today I came into work and he handed me this '59 Tech. I asked him to at least let me give him something in return, but he just told me "It's hard to find someone who appreciates craftsmanship like this. It's yours."

Legion

Staff member
Check this bad boy out! I decided I "needed" a new brush and in typical fashion I went mad when I ordered this one from PC Woodcraft and Pens.

It's silvertip, hand turned redwood burl handle (beautiful), 28mm knot. Seriously, the thing is as big as my head! And it looks fantastic! A totally quality piece of overkill for my bathroom. I put a razor next to it for size comparison.

proxy.php

An unexpected (and free!) acquisition today at work. Long story, shortened:

I mentioned to someone that I really admired the craftsmanship of the old Gillette razors, and we were reflecting on old vs. new craftsmanship in general.

Today I came into work and he handed me this '59 Tech. I asked him to at least let me give him something in return, but he just told me "It's hard to find someone who appreciates craftsmanship like this. It's yours."

Cool story! And a very nice Tech.

Regards.

Jakob

I am completely satisfied with my starter Merkur HD, but I wanted to try out some different razors and hunting for razors is really a relaxing day. Found these all today for dirt cheap. The two on the left need cleaning, the gold tech is MINT (Woot!) and the blue tip looks barely used. Tabac came last friday, but included it here for flavor.

In yesterday's post I received:
Oakmoss Lavendula ASB
Blue Line ASB
Woods AS
and
the Bulgarian Rose Trio of soap, ASB and EDT.

and the Bleached Wood soap sample smells wonderful. Argh...oh, well.

Thanks Sue and Wendy!

I am completely satisfied with my starter Merkur HD, but I wanted to try out some different razors and hunting for razors is really a relaxing day. Found these all today for dirt cheap. The two on the left need cleaning, the gold tech is MINT (Woot!) and the blue tip looks barely used. Tabac came last friday, but included it here for flavor.

Awesome! That's a blue tip Rocket not just any blue tip!

Check this bad boy out! I decided I "needed" a new brush and in typical fashion I went mad when I ordered this one from PC Woodcraft and Pens.

It's silvertip, hand turned redwood burl handle (beautiful), 28mm knot. Seriously, the thing is as big as my head! And it looks fantastic! A totally quality piece of overkill for my bathroom. I put a razor next to it for size comparison.

proxy.php

Oh baby! Daddy likes'em big.

Here is the group shot. Individual posts with close-ups to come.

OK, here's what I ended up getting. Gold Toggle Red Dot F4. Looks to be in very good condition, with the adjustments working fully from 1-9. Came with a Gillette Platinum Plus blade in it (won't use it). Some minor discoloration on the "toggle", but that seems to mostly be where the two pieces touch while toggling. Paint on the numbers is nearly 100% intact. Only thing that really needs cleaning in the blade bed, which appears to be covered with soap scum.

Second, I picked up a Fatboy F2 in the box. Looks to be very nice condition as well. Fully adjusting from 1-9, very minor discoloration with nearly perfectly in-tact paint on the numbers.

Third, a blue Lady Gillette I1. I shaved with this one and I really liked the long handle.

Lastly, Gillette Tech, no date code, in box with gold blade holder. Pretty decent shape, with no major blemishes. There is no "Gillette" scribed across the face. This one did come with a Gillette Blue Blade inside it, too (agian, which I won't use). Case is in pretty good condition, too.

Man, I gotta get this RAD under control!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom