What's new

who is the thief and has stolen an incredible gillette set... ?

There is a good chance that it could have gone to auction and though you think it was stolen at $500 what if you won the item for $550? Would you you then send the seller an additional $450? We see auctions all the time that for what ever reason slip through the cracks and someone gets the score of the year for pennies on the dollar. It happens just as often as two buffoons have a bidding war for $60 item raising the the auction to to $300 and everyones chattering about the high sales but the guy who really scores doesn't usually announce his winning a $500 item for $50. Ebay is a rollercoaster of traechery.

Last edited:
There is a good chance that it could have gone to auction and though you think it was stolen at $500 what if you won the item for $550? Would you you then send the seller an additional $450? We see auctions all the time that for what ever reason slip through the cracks and someone gets the score of the year for pennies on the dollar. It happens just as often as to buffoons have a bidding war for $60 item raising the the auction to to $300 and everyones chattering about the high sales but the guy who really scores doesn't usually announce his winning a $500 item for $50. Ebay is a rollercoaster of traechery.

+1

There are auctions where items go for way less than expected all the time. I recently won a razor for 1/4 of what I expected it to go for, and certainly far below market value. It wasn't even "hidden" either.

+1

There are auctions where items go for way less than expected all the time. I recently won a razor for 1/4 of what I expected it to go for, and certainly far below market value. It wasn't even "hidden" either.

Absolutely, I've done the same AND also paid over the odds for something I (and one other person) wanted TOOOOOOO much (only to find a flood the following week despite not having seen any for the previous year!)

The difference is really when an auction gets 'hijacked' to become a private deal. If it was originally listed as an auction with a start price of $X and BIN price of $Y and somebody grabbed it for a bargain basement BIN then fair enough.

Ebay is very unpredictable when it comes to Auctions, But some sellers learn the hard way. Ive made some nice offers to Sellers with a best offer option, but they decline, then the relist in auction and it sells for half the offer price i gave them :eek:/

So i just email them and remind them tjat they should of taken the offer price i made :eek:) hope they sleep well. I know i cant after loosing and missing the auction.

Maybe the seller was perfectly happy with getting what they got?

I know some guys who look very poorly on sniping.

To call the guy who bought an item at less than you would have paid a thief is a bit much, IMO.

I know some guys who look very poorly on sniping.

Putting in a bid at the last second is how ebay works. Buyers know it. Sellers (should) know it. You can put up your max bid early. There is some strategy to that. Or you can try to get a score at the end. Its frustrating at times, but it also makes it exciting. Lets face it, most of us don't need another razor anyway

I've been holding off saying anything while I still hadn't heard anything from the seller, but now that he/she has marked it as "shipped" I wanted to wake this thread back up to share what I know.

First of all, I'm the one who grabbed this set when the seller relisted it with a BIN option. I don't know whether the seller was just worried about the bidding having stalled at $250 or if someone was trying to do a "backroom" BIN deal with them, but I can tell you if there was a deal being made it wasn't me. For that matter, even now I still haven't spoken with the seller or had any form of communication with him or her other than seeing that they marked the package as having been shipped in my purchase history.

For anyone who wants the gory details, here's how everything went down: I had intended to put a bid in on this lot of razors with a few nice Gillettes and a complete GEM Junior Bar in it but forgot about it until a little while after the auction had already ended. When I pulled up the "Ended" items in my watch list to see what it sold for, though, the Aristocrat set was sitting at the top of the list, even though it wasn't supposed to have ended for another couple of days. Then I noticed it had been relisted, so I thought that maybe the seller was just trying to game eBay on the length of the auction, canceling and relisting to get another week's run knowing that many of the people watching the first listing would probably carry over to the second. But when I pulled up the relisted auction it was posted with a starting bid of $450 and a BIN option of $500. I had been planning on putting in a higher bid than that anyway, so I didn't debate very long before grabbing it.

If the seller was attempting to work a deal with someone it seems weird that they chose to list it as an auction+BIN, unless it would somehow work out cheaper for them in eBay fees that way. (I haven't sold on eBay, so I'm not sure how their fee structure actually works out.) It seems more like they might have been looking to juice the bidding up to what he/she thought was crazy high, especially given that "appraisal" that swamps found. Although, if someone had offered a BIN price to the seller I can't say that I'm terribly sorry for having disrupted their deal. If that's the case maybe the bidder will think twice about trying it again.

I'm not going to pretend like I'm not pretty excited to have snagged this -- though I'm going to continue to be a bit anxious until I've got the set in my hands -- but at the same time I agree with most everything that's been said already in this thread. Even though I probably wouldn't have won the original auction if it had carried on to completion, it really isn't very fair that a seller can cancel a listing with active bids on it and then almost immediately relist it. I get that in the case of something like a car in eBay Motors you'll see, "This car is for sale locally and I reserve the right to end this auction at any time," but I don't see why eBay couldn't restrict items that were pulled as "no longer available" from being relisted, at least for some period of time. I suppose they wouldn't really be able to stop people from manually creating new listings for the same item, but to allow a straight immediate relist like this just seems to be begging for sellers to do this.

In any case, I figured it'd be better to just lay everything out here for everyone. The only reason I even waited till now was to have heard something back from the seller to know one way or the other whether they were going to try to cancel the sale on me. I don't feel like I did anything wrong in grabbing the BIN. But at the same time I feel bad for contributing to a situation that I know would be maddeningly frustrating to me if I were on the other side of things, even though I know someone else would have snapped it up right behind me if I had passed on it.

I dunno... Now I'm just rambling. Maybe it's time to take a brief hiatus from bidding... :001_unsur

Super good news Porter! And since it was an auction starting at $450 with a BIN at $500, you gave them the money they wanted. Perfect!

Now about that name change...

-jim

Nice, Porter! You were innocently at the right place at the right time . . . certainly no evil intent here!!

Congrats . . . the pictures are beautiful . . . bet it looks even better in person!

The only thing to be gained by having a BIN and auction style listing together for the seller is if they have under the minimum amount of sales and and holds are placed on BIN sales til the buyer leaves feedback. In this case if you list both an auction and BIN the hold will not occur even though it says it will when listing. Thats the only real benefit to listing an auction and a BIN that are close together that i know of.

Well what an amazing story and an incredible score!

Doesn't this make two of these you have now?

Very glad to hear that it came to somebody hear and under the circumstances described.

Since everybody is jumping onboard....

I'm not CURRENTLY a JR but would change my name if it meant getting this set!

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Congratulations Porter! I'm glad that you got it. I know you will give it a good home. :thumbup:

The only way that I'm gonna be upset is if you don't post some nice pretty pictures when you recieve it.

edit* I think you should consider changing your name to JR. :biggrin:

Last edited:
The only thing to be gained by having a BIN and auction style listing together for the seller is if they have under the minimum amount of sales and and holds are placed on BIN sales til the buyer leaves feedback. In this case if you list both an auction and BIN the hold will not occur even though it says it will when listing. Thats the only real benefit to listing an auction and a BIN that are close together that i know of.

I always thought it was psychological on the part of the seller. If the auction starts just below the BIN, probably a buyer will pull the trigger on the BIN. If a buyer chooses the auction, then the very least the seller will get is the auction start. Never knew about the ebay rules.

-jim

Top Bottom