What's new

New Merkur 20C and 30C?

Hello,

I was just browsing an online shop and a new Merkur razor appeared: the Merkur 30C and 20C. The knurled handle seems to have some kind of "anodizing" treatment.
pic:
proxy.php

Anybody already tried it?

It looks great imho...

I like the looks, but for approximately $40 shipped for the 30C and $43 shipped for the 20C, I would rather buy the new Muhle R41 for about $50 shipped to have a new and different type of head. I wish Merkur would make an all metal razor with the same head design as the 45 Bakelite razor. I bet that would sell like crazy.

I have tried one and reviewed it in the Review forum.

It's good.

Yes, I saw your review :
Excellent fit 'n' finish. Great value for money.

Shaves as good or better than the Muhle safety bar razors, and closer than the great (but costly) Feather SS.
I have several questions :

• What type of razors do you usually like?
  • Overall dimensions?
  • Weight?
  • Centre of gravity (balancing point)?
  • Are the 20C/30C essentially 23C/33C with new handles ?
  • Does it have the same blade gap as the Merkur 23C/33C ?
  • More or less aggressive than the Muhle/Edwin Jagger DE89 heads ?
  • More aggressive than the Feather AS-D1 ?
  • Is the blade a little bit off centre (more blade exposure on one side) like many other Merkur ?
  • How is the chrome compared the Muhle/Edwin Jagger razors ?
  • Any picture along side with the Muhle and Feather ?

And I would like the opinions of other proud owners of the 20C.

Last edited:
I think it's about time Merkur stopped the old Lee Iacoccoa smoke-and-mirrors trick by having essentially one type of razor head with different handles. Chrysler Corporation sold their famous K-Car as coupes, sedans, luxury models, and mini-vans. They also had the economy Omni/Horizon and their truck platforms as Merkur has it's Bakelite and adjustable head models.

Just enough to truly advertise some sort of variety in the product lines but essentially BORING. I bought a 34C, liked it, PIFed it to my friendly local gorilla, and bought a 38C for the longer handle. Both are good products but the same otherwise. :Yawn:

Since I don't want an adjustable, I have no reason to buy another Merkur. If I decide to get another ax to fill the one remaining spot in my rack, it'll be another brand for sure.

Top Bottom