What's new

So what is with the "Do Not Wipe Blade" printing?

I have been seeing it stated on quite a few blades... "Do Not Wipe". Why? What's the big deal. Aparently I'm missing somthing, would someone please enlighten me. Thanks!

Yes, lawsuits are probably a concern but another reason may be that it may remove the PTFE or other coatings that facilitate blade smoothness and longevity.

Maybe it's similar to "don't touch the red button"

Something really bad might happen, or something really good, but are you really willing to take that risk and possibly sacrifice all of humanity?

I don`t really wipe my blade but blot it dry when I remove my blade out of my razor for drying and to remove crud. It`s a habit of mine to blot my blade with a tissue after a shave.

The same reason McDonald's coffee says "Contents are Hot" on the cup.
People aren't all that bright.

Bingo. Take a look at the warning labels on many products. Because we live in a law suit happy economy (and I am a retired lawyer) labels have to be put on many products to protect the manufacturer. For example, a bottle of dishwashing liquid tells you not to drink it. An electric knife sharpener I have tells you not to put your fingers in it. I recall the heavy lady who got a generous settlement from McDonalds when she spilled hot coffee from a cup placed on her lap.

Anyone have a source for the reason being to protect from lawsuits? Or are we just resorting to speculation here?

This is what I've always assumed to be the answer: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=120324&stc=1&d=1282935717

Seems pretty conclusive to me.

So, let me make sure I understand. Gentle wiping with a soft cloth will damage the blades, but dragging the blade across wire-tough whiskers is OK.

I think I will just continue to wipe my blades the same way I always have. I have not hurt one yet.

So, let me make sure I understand. Gentle wiping with a soft cloth will damage the blades, but dragging the blade across wire-tough whiskers is OK.

I think I will just continue to wipe my blades the same way I always have. I have not hurt one yet.

So you've never replaced a blade? Dragging the blade across wire-tough whiskers most certainly damages the blade... that's why it gets dull & needs to be replaced. Wiping blades in the wrong direction or with an abrasive material can dull the blade or put minute imperfections into it, which will reduce its lifespan & efficiency.

So you've never replaced a blade? Dragging the blade across wire-tough whiskers most certainly damages the blade... that's why it gets dull & needs to be replaced. Wiping blades in the wrong direction or with an abrasive material can dull the blade or put minute imperfections into it, which will reduce its lifespan & efficiency.

If you wipe the blade in the opposite direction in which you shave, IMO, is similar to stropping a straight razor. Thus, you should not dull the blade. However, wiping in the same direction in which you shave could result in some nasty cuts.

Oh. Now we are talking about "wiping blades in the wrong direction," using "an abrasive material."

I use my face towel (didn't I say "soft cloth?") to gently wipe the blade, while it is still in my razor, with the head loosened. I wipe from the center of the razor's top cap toward the blade edge. I do not wipe the blade along nor against the cutting edge.

While we are having this discussion, why don't we debate the merits of hanging a brush in a stand while it is drying, verses setting it on end?

YMMV, of course.

Top Bottom