What's new

snatching defeat from the jaws of victory....

i while back i was pm'ing with shakin jake and he told me about a razor he loved that had broken in the tang area..... i told him to ship it to me and i would fix it..... i had said i was 98.4% sure i could do it with no problem... so i got the blade in the mail....... i opened the package and then went to make sure it was dull by rubbing the edge on a piece of glass...... and promptly dropped it and broke the tip.... not a good start...... anyway..... here is it when i went to work on it....

proxy.php

clamped to a heat sink and ready to TIG up.......

proxy.php

here is is welded up......... notice i was able to keep the HAZ *(heat affected zone) wayyyyyy away from the cutting edge...

proxy.php

anyway...... the tang was slightly bent... so i carefully heated it up and straightened it out.... then there was the tiniest bit of twist that was going to cause trouble with closing properly.......

so i carefully heated it again and was removing the twist when i put my thumb through the cutting edge......:bored:......

i had it alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllmost there and i blew it...... jake i am really sorry i tried my best on this one....

but i know now i can repair one.....

look... no damage to blade temper....

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I don't see any cat-o-nine tails, an iron maiden, or the rack in the background of any of your photos.

You're slipping man....

so i carefully heated it again and was removing the twist when i put my thumb through the cutting edge......:bored:......

You have thumbs of steel, on 2 accounts. First able to put your thumb through the blade, impressive. Second, and more impressive, is being able to touch the blade to bend it after heating.

So close..

You have thumbs of steel, on 2 accounts. First able to put your thumb through the blade, impressive. Second, and more impressive, is being able to touch the blade to bend it after heating.

So close..
lol...... yeah.. i had gauntlet gloves on....and the blade was wrapped with a cold wet rag up to the tang....

Well, in the end you did fix the tang...just like you said you would......

true that....

Legion

Staff member
Perfect! Job done. Now slap some scales on that baby, ship it back, and blame the damage on the postman.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Okay... so it's not so good for shaving now. No biggie. Scale it in old junk celluloid, bury it in the yard for a month, and it's an antique worth $40.

...... jake i am really sorry i tried my best on this one....

but i know now i can repair one.....

~~~Hey Mate!...you gave it your best...sometimes we all come up short...I'm not surprised about the outcome...she was a rusty old girl way before I laid eye on her
proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks again for giving it the old college try

FWIW, I love shaving with old beater razors...nothing fancy, just cleaned up on my bufffer with me going over the edge and enjoying the resulting shaves. I'm truly in it for the edge and the shave. The razor to me is nothing more than a tool. I like new shaving tools and I equally like old vintage shaving tools as well. Vintage straight razors...they can't be beat for shaving with

Thanks again for giving it a shot Brian!

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Wow dude - what a bad buz! I can totally see you going through the gambit of emotions on that one lol!!

Mighty fine of you to try though man!!

Top Bottom