What's new

What are you listening to?

I don't often listen to whole albums these days, I just let iTunes play what it thinks best, but since I bought "Clockwork Angels" by Rush last month, I find I have to listen to the whole thing from start to finish. It is a concept album, and in the words of one Kevin J. Anderson who is writing a novelisation of the album, it tells how "In a young man's quest to follow his dreams, he is caught between the grandiose forces of order and chaos. He travels across a lavish and colorful world of steampunk and alchemy, with lost cities, pirates, anarchists, exotic carnivals, and a rigid Watchmaker who imposes precision on every aspect of daily life."

It is easily their best work in many years and I am listening to it right now for about the 20th time.

I've been listening to mostly all-Rush the past two months, between Clockwork Angels and their many recent live albums. Will be seeing them late October at the Boston Garden. Actually next weekend I'll be seeing a local Rush tribute band, Lotusland, at Twin River...they're playing a 3 hour show! :001_cool:

I haven't decided where to rank C.A. but I'm digging the concept. For each song, the music really conveys the mood of the story.

I can never praise these guys enough for all the good music they've written and performed!

"I can't stop thinking big..."

Jerry Garcia. First solo album and the Merl Saunders/Jerry Garcia Live at the Keystone albums. Today would have been his 70th birthday.

If you feel the need for something that will relax the soul, stir the senses, and arouse emotion...you need Explosions in the Sky - Your Hand in Mine:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you feel the need for something that will relax the soul, stir the senses, and arouse emotion...you need Explosions in the Sky - Your Hand in Mine:

That's good stuff.

Today it was Misfits: Project 1950 (one of my favorite cover albums ever)

And then... Swans- My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky
This is such a good album.

Here's a little IDM (Intelligent Dance Music). Stupid name, but great genre of music. This particular piece dark, with lots of rich synth and airy pads. Multitude of melodies interacting with some sampling. Simple beat, but manages to be relaxing and grooving at the same time.

Totakeke - Permanent Note

NPR's live webcast from the Newport Jazz Festival. The Three Cohens were astounding. Now, I'm listening to a group I'd never heard of before, the Miguel Zenon Rayuela Quintet, and they are truly terrific.

Some more post rock:

pg.lost - The Kind Heart of Lanigon

Unfortunately not in HiDef...but still quality.

Some "electronica" (whatever the correct word is, in this case, "dubstep" might be) that is new to me that my undergrad son has been turning me onto. Bassnectar (Lorin Ashton) is one. Really good. Said to be amazing live, which makes sense for bass heavy music.

Some "electronica" (whatever the correct word is, in this case, "dubstep" might be) that is new to me that my undergrad son has been turning me onto. Bassnectar (Lorin Ashton) is one. Really good. Said to be amazing live, which makes sense for bass heavy music.

I'm listening to something similar, I guess - though I'm pretty sure what I'm listening to is not dubstep. I've been listing to Ratatat. Sounds like they are using some guitars in addition to keyboards/electronics.

I'm listening to something similar, I guess - though I'm pretty sure what I'm listening to is not dubstep. I've been listing to Ratatat. Sounds like they are using some guitars in addition to keyboards/electronics.
I like Ratatat, forgot about them.
Lately, lot's of Nick Cave and the Grinderman album a couple of times yesterday. Been playing his cover album repeatedly, good stuff.

I will get the names of the folks I am listening to from my kid and post them! I really do not know the musical terms. Wikipedia referred to Bassnectar as dubstep, but I am not sure that is correct!

Top Bottom