What's new

a kamisori journey...

this will be just a little photo story of how i make my razor shaped objects....... i go start to finish with a couple videos..... this entire sequence was over 3 hours but actual working time was ~1~1:15mins....

anyone want a metal lollipop??

proxy.php

5mins later... front side done *(i don't remember the japanese word for it...)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

making sparks..

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

working on the other side.....

proxy.php

proxy.php

highly accurate inspection... lol..

proxy.php

hows it look to you??

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

heres a couple videos for you.....

Last edited:
as it sets now....... the bevel will be small and beautiful..... it is hard and i am very happy with the result...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Looks great Paco. I love the square points. I love you're inspection process. Micrometer's and caliper's are so overrated.... LOL

Edit: you muted the points... It still looks great.

I just finished watching the video's. Great job on them. So, you're left handed? So am I. Do you make left handed kamisori's? I've seen them for sale, and they aren't cheap.

Again, great job Paco. It looks great.

I just finished watching the video's. Great job on them. So, you're left handed? So am I. Do you make left handed kamisori's? I've seen them for sale, and they aren't cheap.

Again, great job Paco. It looks great.

yep.. i make either left or right handed ones.....

and thanks...

imma monkey with a grinder...

I am glad you get that good of results from your process.

Since blades are thin, it is often safer to quench is a slower medium than specified. Most steel samples for hardening tests are 1 inch square, and the data from the published values use that dimension typically.

I am also concerned about your temperature control, but some people are better at gauging temperature by eye than others.

Lastly, there is little or no need to move that quickly from heat to quench, and risk damaging the blade.

Very nice blade. Do you ever make anything smaller than 8/8?

Phil

Since blades are thin, it is often safer to quench is a slower medium than specified. Most steel samples for hardening tests are 1 inch square, and the data from the published values use that dimension typically.

I am also concerned about your temperature control, but some people are better at gauging temperature by eye than others.

Lastly, there is little or no need to move that quickly from heat to quench, and risk damaging the blade.

Phil
been heat treating stuff that way since i was 13 in my dad's welding shop..... i am pretty good with the "by eye" method....

i prefer the quench in oil and that is what i will be using from now on... this was my first time experimenting with water and this steel.... i will use veggie or olive oil next time...

i made a 7/8ths the other day.... i just prefer the bigger ones..... i will make anything anyone wants.... i actually have a 4/8ths in the wings waiting....

Phil
per your request......

9/16ths... 01 tool steel.... it will get honed tonight and a test shave....

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom