What's new

Why did men stop shaving traditionally?

My first guess would be marketing and secondly, a lack of locally available traditional shaving products. The internet changes things greatly for the latter. I have probably 5-6 local pharmacies and I get excited just to find alum. They have one offering for de blades which IMO are garbage with the exception of the Wilkinson's that are a more recent offering at my local WalMart that I have not tried.

This really isn't much of a question is it? How many posts do we read here everyday about nicks, cuts, weepers and blood? In about 30+ years of using a cartridge I don't believe I've ever cut or nicked myself, never get weepers, and have no worries about blood-letting. Canned goo is instant - press the button and you've got a handlful of it. Sure it's expensive - at least compared to only owning one brush, one soap and only a few packs of blades. But people, Americans for sure, have shown time and time again they are willing to pay for convenience and comfort.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
To be honest most men could give a rat's a** about shaving, then or now. It was and is just something you do. Guys were not bemoaning the loss of the straight in the 1930's, the loss of soap and brush in the 50's and so on. Whatever you could use to get it done faster and easier was adopted at the drop of hat.

I would not call it laziness. People just prioritize things differently. Remember there was a time where shaving everyday was required for your job or social acceptance, no beards or scruff allowed. No shaving every other day to get a better shave etc. Just imagine if you had to get up every morning at 5 am and straight shave in cold water because you had to. Does not matter if you have a nick or razor burn from the day before. If something affordable came alone that made it easier and faster you would probably use it.

We are lucky today where shaving and a lot of personal grooming habits are optional and we are free to pick our own style. Shaving has become a luxury.

+1. My dad's move to a Remington electric, which he never really liked, in the late 50s or very early 60s had nothing to do with being lazy. For him shaving was neither an art to cultivate nor a pleasure to enjoy; it was simply a chore. He used goods that were cheap, fast, and reasonably effective. I'm pretty sure the Remington was a gift. I do think there was some tendency to embrace what was "new" and supposedly an improvement. But that also generally happened to be what was readily available on the grocery or drug store shelf.

There is a strong element of nostalgia in DE shaving with vintage Gillettes for me. It reminds me of my old man. But if he were here to see how much money and time I've spent with this stuff, he'd be shaking his head.

It's ironic that many of my favorite scents connected to shaving (e.g., Proraso and Musgo Real AS, Tabac soap, etc.) evoke memories of childhood in the 50s and early 60s, while they more often than not seen to turn off younger DE enthusiasts, who associate them them with "old men".

Who can't find DE blades locally? I shaved DE from 1987 to about 1999 and never had a problem finding them...and then started again last fall. I bought my blades from Walgreens, Rite Aid, and the local grocery store until just a month or so ago.
I'm in Canada, in a well populated are. I've searched about 10 stores - department stores, supermarkets, and large pharmacies like Walgreens. I did find some Proraso soap, but nothing else worth mentioning. Definitely no blades, even after asking for help in case I missed them.

I'm sure there are some specialty stores that carry the stuff, but to expect people (mostly seniors without internet) to drive out of their way for a daily staple may be too much.

It's not laziness, the people who say it is are the same ones who live in homes full of modern conveniences, drive modern vehicles, and buy groceries and other necessities at modern stores or the internet. Does that make them lazy? It's not marketing and a desire for profit, that's what prompted King Gillette to design the first single ring and disposable blades, and before that the first safety razors made by the Kampfe Brothers and before that the companies that made straight razors. Every company that ever sold a razor or blade did it for profit.

What caused the demise of the "traditional" shave was the introduction of the Wilkinson Bonded Razor System in 1970 and the Gillette Trac II in 1971. Both were quicker, safer and easier than anything else and that's all that mattered to men and women at the time. I seriously doubt that many men who were shaving at that time used words like "luxurious", "pampering", "zen" or "me time" when they discussed shaving. It was a task no different than brushing their teeth or combing their hair and anything that saved a few minutes was readily accepted. It's no different today than it was in the early 70's or the late 1800's.

I think it's a bit disingenuous to proclaim the double edge or single edge razor as the only acceptable method of shaving, when in fact, they were originally designed and advertised as a "modern" replacement for the "old fashioned" straight razor because they were easier, safer and quicker to use.

+1. The key words being easier, safer and quicker. I enjoy DE shaving but most people aren't like me. Most people shave because they have to not because they want to.

I asked my family MD...he was in WWII in the Navy and used whatever he could find during his service days..I offered him a de or se kit..his reply "nahh, I shave quick n go to work"..I asked him how much quicker do you think your disposables are compared to de/se razors?..his reply "it's quick when you can have something pressed on your face than many short strokes"..yea..kinda made sense..thats when I showed him my straights...his eyes got bid and he started to ask every question he could think of about them..:001_rolle..he had asked me how long it takes for me to shave with them..my reply "about 15 minutes when done in the evening"..never could stand any other time...I still have my wifes grandfathers straight..he uses it for 55years..sometimes i think the "time and speed" thing is a bit overrated :lol:

I started shaving in the mid-1970s. I know my dad had one of those Gillette one-piece, butterfly opening razors but by the time I started Wilkinson had come out with its cartridge system and that's all I ever used. It may be that my dad had switched to cartridges too by that time and that's what he recommended to me -- I don't remember. I think the reason he switched was mainly because, as was said above, it was easier to get an acceptable shave with a cartridge than with a DE razor. And in many senses that is still true. I switched to DE shaving only a few months ago, mainly because the price of cartridges has just become ridiculous, and I was intrigued by the notion of being more "traditional" (circa 1960). I was very satisfied with my cartridge shaves (Gillette Sensor 3), but have come to enjoy DE shaving more. It just feels better on the skin, and some areas that I chronically irritated with my cartridge shaves are finally starting to heal and clear up.

One thing my dad never gave up was his mug and soap, and like him, I've been a wet shaver all my life. I've used canned shaving foam a few times and hated everything about it. I can see why most men prefer cartridge razors, but for the life of me can't see why they prefer canned goo over soap and brush.

I'm in Canada, in a well populated are. I've searched about 10 stores - department stores, supermarkets, and large pharmacies like Walgreens. I did find some Proraso soap, but nothing else worth mentioning. Definitely no blades, even after asking for help in case I missed them.

I'm sure there are some specialty stores that carry the stuff, but to expect people (mostly seniors without internet) to drive out of their way for a daily staple may be too much.

Hi Guido, I am in Toronto too. I have had some luck finding DE blades at drug stores. The last Shoppers I was in had Wilkinsons ($15 for a ten pack - I passed as I can get them a bit cheaper at my local drugstore). I have also seen Gillette packs of 10 in some of the Shoppers as well, also for about $15. Those are not cheap prices, but I've always managed to get a couple of weeks shave from one of these blades and I have a full beard. I've had more luck finding blades at independent drug stores. If you can get to Honest Ed's they sell 10 packs of Precision blades for 2 bucks for a ten pack. Sometimes they are on sale for a buck a pack. I can get one of these blades to last a week. They aren't as good as Wilkinson's, for example, but for the price I don't mind. It is hit and miss as to whether they will have them in stock. The last time I was there they had Wilkinsons and Schick injector blades as well. I live downtown and when I am out for a walk I make a habit of popping into any drug stores I come across, especially if it is independent.

Many good observations here, especially Tom's.

My reasons for switching to DE were partly to get off the cart bandwagon (and I stopped "upgrading" after the Sensor!) and a mild attraction
to the "old" way of doing it.

More recently, I appreciate DE shaving because that means more time with Proraso on my face :velva2:

Hi Guido, I am in Toronto too...
I'm actually in Aurora, my dad's in Richmond Hill. I've been to 5 Shoppers (even in Woodbridge) - and only found the Proraso soap and sometimes an Omega brush. I never thought about the smaller independents and I'll keep in mind Honest Ed's when I'm in the area.
Thanks for the tips!

Would you agree If I say that every DE brand on the marquet aren't fit for anybody ? Some folks out there swear by Astra while others can not stand anything less than a Feathers or an Iridium Super. Is this different with Gillette blades ? Are they universally compatible ?

I don't know.

My father never taught me how to fix a broken axle on a covered wagon either, or how to water from a well in the front yard in a bucket.

Hi Guido, I am in Toronto too. I have had some luck finding DE blades at drug stores. The last Shoppers I was in had Wilkinsons ($15 for a ten pack - I passed as I can get them a bit cheaper at my local drugstore). I have also seen Gillette packs of 10 in some of the Shoppers as well, also for about $15. Those are not cheap prices, but I've always managed to get a couple of weeks shave from one of these blades and I have a full beard. I've had more luck finding blades at independent drug stores. If you can get to Honest Ed's they sell 10 packs of Precision blades for 2 bucks for a ten pack. Sometimes they are on sale for a buck a pack. I can get one of these blades to last a week. They aren't as good as Wilkinson's, for example, but for the price I don't mind. It is hit and miss as to whether they will have them in stock. The last time I was there they had Wilkinsons and Schick injector blades as well. I live downtown and when I am out for a walk I make a habit of popping into any drug stores I come across, especially if it is independent.

Is that 15 for a a pack of 10 blades or 15 for 10 packs of 10 (or 5) on the Wilkinsons?
Walmart sells the Wilke's down here in the states for 1.90 something for a pack of 10 blades, if that's 10 packs for 15 it's not a bad price,if it's 15 for 10 blades then that's just bat crap crazy.

I was surprised to hear no DE blades at Canadian Walgreens,down here they're standard stock,pricey,but standard.

In my case - it was simply due to not knowing there were other options. My son on the other hand - is most informed of all his shaving options.

Last edited:
This is a highly entertaining thread, with lots of useful insights commingled with great lessons in history, sociology, and psychology! In case anyone cares, here are my two cents which, while repetitive to things already said, I'm going to say anyway because, in this day and age of Twitter where we all think we are so special we deserve to be "followed", they're MY two cents and by God I'm going to give them to y'all!

By way of background, i am 47, and my dad is 79. Throughout my childhood in the late 60s and into the late 70s, my dad used a DE. I don't ever recall him using a brush, just canned Barbasol. For him, shaving was something he had to do, as quickly as possible, as part of his morning ablutions. Almost every day he would emerge with toilet paper stuck on various parts of his face - we still laugh about the times he forgot to remove it and went to work with it still on his face - he taught junior high school English and the kids always got a hoot out of it when he showed up in class with TP on his face. His beard grows so quickly that if he had someplace to go in the evening he would often shave a second time to get rid of the five o'clock shadow. He eschewed the electric razors because the five o'clock shadow appeared by lunch time when he used them.

When the cartridge systems came out he immediately gravitated to them because the toilet paper-face disappeared, and it was much quicker, especially useful for those days when he shaved a second time. It was all about convenience, saving time, and reducing bloodletting.

Me? I switched to DE shaving six months ago from using a M3 with canned goo. I used to shave in the shower - it took two minutes and I had a perfectly acceptable shave and NEVER cut myself. So why did I switch? I love the nostalgia - I dug up my dad's old DE razors, and now use them every day (a SS from each of the 50s, 60s and 70s). I love the ritual. I love warming up my scuttle, making my lather, the feel of the warm lather, the old-time scents of the various splashes I use. And, I get much less skin irritation than I used to which is great. I "think" I get a better shave than using the M3, but not enough better to matter much. I just love the whole experience, and how it connects me to my dad, who is tickled to death that I use his old razors while thinking I'm weird. But I have to say, right now I'm on a business trip - I shaved in the shower this morning with Barbasol and an M3 and damn it was quick and easy!

I bet my dad is no different than virtually every other man who was of shaving age when the cartridges and canned goo took over: He thinks I'm nuts to take more time now to shave and for using more "primitive" technology tha can and does cut me. And, if he knew how much of a fuss we all make over this, with the fancy creams, soaps, scents, balms, pre-shave oils and preps, alum, and AS, raging debates over what exotic country makes the best blades you have to order over the internet, etc., he'd probably wet his pants laughing at us. Shaving to him is like brushing his teeth. No more, no less.

Yes, it's true that we've been marketed to with the cartridge systems. So what? While I agree that (a) they're stupidly expensive, and (b) the five blade monstrosities are ridiculous, let's not be so judgmental here! Just because we like the traditional shaving experience for various reasons doesn't mean the cartridges and canned goo are bad, our dads' adoption of them represents some moral failing, and that those of us who stayed true to the old ways are somehow more righteous! Yeesh...maybe we should all be Amish or something. (I was just in Amish country with my family - now THOSE are the old ways!)

Is that 15 for a a pack of 10 blades or 15 for 10 packs of 10 (or 5) on the Wilkinsons?
Walmart sells the Wilke's down here in the states for 1.90 something for a pack of 10 blades, if that's 10 packs for 15 it's not a bad price,if it's 15 for 10 blades then that's just bat crap crazy.

I was surprised to hear no DE blades at Canadian Walgreens,down here they're standard stock,pricey,but standard.

It is unfortunately the more expensive option. So 10 blades is $15 for Wilkinsons. I can do a bit better at my local drug store, and much better with lesser blades elsewhere. As I mentioned, I get a long life out of a single blade (usually 2 weeks for the Wilkinsons). I am just too lazy to go online and order 100 blades to bring the cost per blade down. We have Walmart up here and I have been meaning to get to one to look for blades.

Even at higher prices, DE blades are still much cheaper than carts. I used to use Atra carts. A 10 pack was $15 bucks. Those would only last 2 or 3 shaves each. I often see Fusion carts for well over $30 in the drug stores. The large chain drug stores in Canada don't tend to stock DE blades, but every now and then you can find a location in the chain that does. I guess it is the manager or owners call. A few years ago lots of the drug stores moved the blades from the aisles to behind the cash. So you have to ask the cashier to find the blades. The (usually female) cashiers normally take about three shots at bringing you a package of blades before getting you the ones you want. This added a layer of annoyance so I eventually refused to purchase at stores that did this. On the plus side up here, one of our major chains stocks Proraso as a regular item, so thumbs up to that!

I think quicker and laziness are being one in the same in this thread. I was telling a friend about it and he was on point with it until I told him it too me about 15 min to shave (I do my head and face). His immediate reaction was I'll just stick with the electric and go stubbly. Most people don't care for the quality, they want it to be fast, easy, and work ok.

I think the equivalence of quick and lazy is an error. It was a different time. From WWII to after the Vietnam war a lot of jobs, even blue collar had grooming codes. No facial hair was one of them. You had to shave. No mustaches, goatees, soul patches etc. I remember my uncle had to shave at lunch at work everyday because he had a heavy beard and stubble was a no-no in his job in sales. Having something be mandatory for your income can put a different spin on how you may enjoy it.

Top Bottom