What's new

New Feather All Stainless Safety Razor

We should consider ourselves "lucky" that we can get it for $165 in the US, I read it's $300 in Japan.

Package in Japan (which indeed costs almost $300) is different from package in USA and Asia (haven't seen it in Europe - inquired about it from Feather importer in France and was completely shocked by their exaggerated shipping charges)

Japanese package, in addition to very exclusive and very expensive packing box (there is even a full story in Japanese on how and by whom these presentation boxes are made) includes also a razor stand.

US and Asian package are made from much more modest balsa wood and don't include razor stand, hence the lower price.

I guess Feather have realized the absence of a genuine appreciation for nice packing in the, colloquially said, western world, that is very common thing in Japan (it is very often that cost of packing exceeds the value of things being packed and that is perfectly normal in Japan - I have several first hand experiences of this kind) and therefore they have decided to go with cheaper balsa wood box and no razor stand.

Having read some of the malicious comments in this (and some other forums) I wonder if Feather should have kept it for Japanese market only (as I believe was originally intended). But, I guess that there are enough people who may appreciate it without envy driven comments, even if they would not shell out that money for it.

I personally had a moment of AD drive that I wanted to buy Japanese edition and now seeing US/Asian edition I tend to think it is more sensible, but still lots of dough. If this cheaper edition would include the stand, even if only wrapped in butcher shop paper and no box at all, I'd not walk but run to get it. This way, I am not sure if I will buy it but, nevertheless, I am genuinely impressed by this razor, not only as an object of beauty (at least from my aesthetic standpoint) but also as a clear signal of Feather's determination to continue supporting "DE shaving community".

I'd love to see a value package, just the razor, shrink wrapped. I don't have a need for any box, fancy or not, it would just take up space in a drawer and contribute to waste.

Son, for one, I'm pleased that Feather decided to market this razor internationally.

Though I don't think I'll ever understand the packaging fetish. The Pils came in a plain and very tasteful cardboard box, wrapped in tissue and with a tag on a string. Very nice. It can be tossed into the recycling.

Extensive packaging is usually a bad sign to me. Among other things, I'm an accountant. When I see lots of money dumped into a non-functional element, I know that the product is either more expensive than it should be or that the product itself was cheapened to make the useless package more attractive.

I don't like either when I'm making a purchase. This is probably why Feather has a less expensive package offered in the US.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in knowing HOW this thing is any different than sticking a Tech head on a thin Merkur handle.

Edit: Okay, that sounded harsh. I'll admit it would be great to have a precision, well-made Japanese instrument like this. It's a sexy beast. But $150?

Last edited:
Having read some of the malicious comments in this (and some other forums) I wonder if Feather should have kept it for Japanese market only (as I believe was originally intended). But, I guess that there are enough people who may appreciate it without envy driven comments, even if they would not shell out that money for it.

The huge packaging to me is overkill as cant imagine that only taking up space somewhere other than a bathroom too bad that neat little shaving stand is not included for the US price.

I think there is a market for these as some people like well made products and can afford the premium some makers charge.

Would like to see some close up pics of this razor.

I'll gladly save my pennies for it if it shaves as well as a Slant or DE89L. But the head looks like a Tech. And even if it's better than any Tech ever produced, it's still not worth more than $50.

Total eye-candy though.

I'd be interested in knowing HOW this thing is any different than sticking a Tech head on a thin Merkur handle.

Edit: Okay, that sounded harsh. I'll admit it would be great to have a precision, well-made Japanese instrument like this. It's a sexy beast. But $150?

For one, the stainless steel is a big attraction for me. I prefer it to plating, which tarnishes and eventually wear off. It's worth the premium to me.

The price is stiff. However, assuming a Fusion cartridge is roughly $4 each and you use one cartridge per week, that would cost you $208 per year. That's enough to buy this and a year's worth of Feather blades. After the firs year, you'd save approximately $150 a year.

Yeah, you can make the same rationalization with a less expensive razor, too, but this shows that the price isn't unreasonable compared to what 99% of the population uses.

Also, I look at purchases in terms of how often I use them. If I'm buying for daily use, I buy the best I can afford.

A

alex92130

Hello Gentlemen,

I have used the new Feather Stainless several times now. I can say for sure that it is less aggressive than Futur (set at 1 or 2) and thus even with super-sharp Feather blades I avoid cuts and feel very safe and confident. It is balanced perfectly, does not slip and feels 'right' in one's hand.

I am very happy with the new Feather Stainless.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you will post a review once you use it?

Yes! I got confirmation that it shipped today, too, so it should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday next week. I am very interested to see how it stacks up against the DE89L and the Pils. I got in a second shave with the Pils last night and managed to improve the results. It is close to what I get from the DE89L and Fatboy (the two razors I have the most experience with), but I have high hopes for it over the next few weeks.

Top Bottom