What's new

Rooney Heritiage Stubby 2XL...pure awesome

Glad you like it! I LOVE the feel of the Rooney Heritage line, but I just cant stand how poor the lather release is. If you dont mind loading extra product though, youll be hard pressed to find a better over all brush than the 2xl

Teaser shot for JKH.

$DSC_0001.jpg

The only place I have ever seen them is VintageBlades in the US.

Damn you Rooney :blush: :ohmy:

Why in the heck is Rooneys advertising so poor - can't find their official website, can't find a vendor in UK or Europe......damn you Rooney, Rooney a UK made and produced brush only available in the real Stubby version in the US, damn you Rooney :c17:

Thanks for information though...... :001_smile

The Rooney Heritage Stubby 2XL is a STUPENDOUS brush. I can't speak highly enough of it. The knot is a perfect fan shape. The handle is the perfect size for me. The hair is oh so soft with just the right amount of backbone. And on the face, it maintains it's size, by which I mean it doesn't bloom into a gigantic brush. I have had mine since 2010. At first, the hair had a gel-like feel on my face, unlike any other brush I've used. With use, this gel-like feeling has gone away, and I am even happier with it. I can feel the soft tips of this hair more than I used to, but I would not bring the word scritch anywhere near a description of this brush.

At first, the hair had a gel-like feel on my face, unlike any other brush I've used. With use, this gel-like feeling has gone away, and I am even happier with it. I can feel the soft tips of this hair more than I used to, but I would not bring the word scritch anywhere near a description of this brush.

AW CRAP! :lol: I sold mine because of the gel like feel. I found the brush to be flawless in every regard but I prefer the face feel of, say, a Shavemac D01 3-band or a M&F 2-band.

Who knows, Greg? Maybe it's build up of product? I think not, as I occasionally run it through the dish soap/vinegar routine. I actually think some of the very fine tips that made it gel-like wear down or break off (a microscopic amount), which changes the face feel. Mine is still a little softer than my M&F Blondes but not Thater 3-band soft.

Is Stubby 2 as dense as 2XL? Besides the knot size, do they have similar properties?

The normal two band stubby is not as dense. It's been criticized as lacking density. However, I had one, and thought it was a wonderful brush...soft tips, great backbone. If it had been a 3, I doubt I would have sold it.

Vlad, which batch of XL hair did your 2XL end up with? I just received a new 2 XL from Vintage Blades after missing my old 2XL which I sold earlier this year but this new 2XL that VB is currently offering is totally different in feel then my old 2XL.

The most notable difference is the new 2XL no longer has the gel like tips at all. What I especially appreciate about the new XL hair is that it has ZERO scritch compared to the slight scritch my old 2XL with the gel tips had. It also drys completely soft with out turning hard and crusty like the gel tipped batch would. Anyway, I was just curious if this is a completely new batch of hair for the XL's and if Rooney no longer makes the gel tipped version anymore ... if you would what batch of hair is your 1 and 3XL as well?

Vlad, which batch of XL hair did your 2XL end up with? I just received a new 2 XL from Vintage Blades after missing my old 2XL which I sold earlier this year but this new 2XL that VB is currently offering is totally different in feel then my old 2XL.

The most notable difference is the new 2XL no longer has the gel like tips at all. What I especially appreciate about the new XL hair is that it has ZERO scritch compared to the slight scritch my old 2XL with the gel tips had. It also drys completely soft with out turning hard and crusty like the gel tipped batch would. Anyway, I was just curious if this is a completely new batch of hair for the XL's and if Rooney no longer makes the gel tipped version anymore ... if you would what batch of hair is your 1 and 3XL as well?

I'm not sure which is which. Gel tips to me means zero scritch. So I guess I will say that my 1 and 3 have perfectly soft tips, and my 2 does not. I am certain that my 1 is the original batch because I was one of the the first to get an xl. The 2 is great, but not perfect like its cousins.

I'm not sure which is which. Gel tips to me means zero scritch. So I guess I will say that my 1 and 3 have perfectly soft tips, and my 2 does not. I am certain that my 1 is the original batch because I was one of the the first to get an xl. The 2 is great, but not perfect like its cousins.

The biggest indication on whether or not you have the famed gel tipped XL is how the tips DRY after use. If its hard and crusty,i its the gel tip. My old XL without question had the gel tips and felt like a bit of a soft wet micro fiber cloth when wet but it did have the slightest scritch much like you describe yours.

Again, the new 2XL hair drys completely soft and does NOT feel gel like but is equally as dense but this time with even softer tips despite the lack of the gel like feel. I definitely enjoy it much more than my old XL2 and have been pleasantly surprised with what is clearly a new batch of XL hair.

Last edited:

I have an XL1 from the first batch ever offered by Vintage Blades and it unlike the other two-band Heritage brushes I have had the pleasure of owning - It is just unreal soft.

After mine is completely dry a quick rub across the tips separates the tips that clumped together while damp and takes any crustiness away.

The biggest indication on whether or not you have the famed gel tipped XL is how the tips DRY after use. If its hard and crusty,i its the gel tip. My old XL without question had the gel tips and felt like a bit of a soft wet micro fiber cloth when wet but it did have the slightest scritch much like you describe yours.

Again, the new 2XL hair drys completely soft and does NOT feel gel like but is equally as dense but this time with even softer tips despite the lack of the gel like feel. I definitely enjoy it much more than my old XL2 and have been pleasantly surprised with what is clearly a new batch of XL hair.

Yeah, this still sounds contradictory to me. How can the tips be like gel and have scritch? We probably use these words differently, so I'm sticking with my original reply :biggrin1:

Yeah, this still sounds contradictory to me. How can the tips be like gel and have scritch? We probably use these words differently, so I'm sticking with my original reply :biggrin1:

Yeah, gel-like should have no scritch, at all.

Top Bottom