What's new

Discussion thread for Diptyque Tam Dao review

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Haven't tried this one yet.

All I know is that I can't read this thread without saying "Dippity-Doo" to myself. Just a mental block, I guess.

I have been eyeing that particular cologne for over a year. Like you, Floris Sandalwood has been my favorite scent for years. I feel more confident buying a bottle now that you have tried it.

Scotto - how would you compare this with B&B - sounds like there's a lot of similarity in the scents/styles of these two colognes.

Suzuki said:
Scotto - how would you compare this with B&B - sounds like there's a lot of similarity in the scents/styles of these two colognes.
Not similar at all. B&B has a lot of pine/spruce, is very bright, and the sandalwood is a support note. Very intense scent. Tam Dao is much more subtle and dry.

Went buy the Diptyque store in SF yesterday and received a sample of this. I really can't make my mind up.

On one hand, it is very manly and I love the scent in general, but on the other hand it smells like you rubbed a block of wood all over your face and doesn't seem to be working well as a cologne. Basically, I love the smell but not on me as a cologne.

This is the scent to go for if you find yourself sneaking off at odd hours to your bathroom to inhale glorious whiffs of QED sandalwood soap. I am not a fan of the medicinal alcohol smell that exists for the first few minutes but afterwards I get a full day's worth of (Mysore) sandalwood. :001_wub: :drool:

This scent has my name in it and I love sandalwood... does this mean something?

Scotto, would you be opposed in offering this as a decant?

tam.audio said:
This scent has my name in it and I love sandalwood... does this mean something?

Scotto, would you be opposed in offering this as a decant?

He already offers it as a decant.

Chris

I love it when I don't even have to respond, but others do it for me. Chris, the check is in the mail. :tongue:

Tam Dao was referenced in a sandalwood thread here once. It was my first blind buy of a full bottle after reading reviews at Basenotes. At first I tried it and wasnt sure. I was just rediscovering colognes after many years of none whatsoever. It was tried again a few weeks later and has been in a top 5 list since. There is a flash of cedar in the top notes but they go pretty quick, It dries down to a clean and not too sweet sandalwood. Great scent.

I hate to be the naysayer here, but I love the smell of sandalwood (have a tub of Green Pond's cream) and after reading all the hype about this scent I decided to buy myself a 1.5 ml decant of it (from http://www.theperfumedcourt.com, a really great resource fwiw). Took it out of its envelope and wafted it under my wife's nose. She immediately made a face -- and not a good one.

Undeterred, I shpritzed the stuff on my wrist. 1 little shpritz. Took a sniff -- and nearly fell over. WAY too strong for me -- this from a guy who hasn't routinely worn any scents but is starting to become interested in them -- to the point where I could still smell it loud & clear even after trying to scrub it off of my skin. Twice.

One thing I can't stand about a lot of scents (and the main reason I've never worn them) is the way a lot of them announce their presence, like some loudmouth yelling from afar before blustering his way into a room, oblivious to the cold stares all around. This scent for me was a classic member of that club.

Eh, to each his own. Delicate application is sometimes key.... And giving it a couple of minutes to mellow out.

-Mo

Yeah, Lorenzo Villoresi's Sandalo is (to my nose) insanely aggressive upon the initial application, but after it airs out for about 20 minutes it's fantastic.

Tam Dao is pretty good, though sandalwood is a bit boring and one dimensional on me.

Any other good offerings by Diptyque? Virglilio looks intriguing.

Top Bottom