What's new

Just got some new stuff - opinions please!

Right, so I've just received a couple orders from the brilliant fellas (and gals, presumably) at Men's Biz, and would like to hear some combinations of the items I now have, for a shave I'll have in a few hours.

This is what I've got (using a '61 Gillette Fat Boy):

Preparation / Post
Proraso Pre-Shave (which I'm hoping is Proraso Pre&Post Shave, like I ordered!)
Nivea Aftershave Balm
Tabac Aftershave Lotion

Soaps
Col. Conk Almond Shave Soap (smells FANTASTIC!)
Proraso Aloe & Green Tea
Mitchell's Wool Fat (smells strongly of...soap, yet haven't opened or used it yet, so it'd be a little too "book by its cover" to say I don't like it)

Of these, I've been using the Aloe & Green Tea for about 3 weeks. It's great, but naturally being my first wet-shaving related product besides the razor, I can't wait to try something new.

Blades
Wilkinson Swords
Feather Hi-Stainless
Gillette Supers
Astra...somethings
Derby Extras

Of these, I've been using Feathers since my very first shave. From what I've read, I'm extremely excited to try the Derbys, but hey, that's what this thread is for!

Open for suggestion. You have approximately 140 minutes...GO!

The Proraso pre-shave cream is the right stuff. Dunno exactly why, but they changed the labeling, dropping the post part a year or so ago. Some guys still use it post-shave, but I don't. Didn't seem to do all that much for me post-shave, but as always, YMMV.

A lot of the other stuff you listed is still on my "gotta try" list. I have tried the Tabac AS from a sample I got with my Tabac soap (If you haven't gotten the4 Tabac soap, GET SOME!). It seems very cologny to me, and may not offer much benefit as an AS to me...but then, I've only used it once before other stuff came to me in the mail that I've been using.

YES! VERY COLOGNY!

Oooh man I've been looking for a way to describe it for ages! It's not really suited as the post-shave protection it's labeled to be in my opinion, more of a scent thing.

Tabac is on it's way! Couple more days...

Proraso Pre-Shave (which I'm hoping is Proraso Pre&Post Shave, like I ordered!)
Nivea Aftershave Balm
Tabac Aftershave Lotion

Soaps
Col. Conk Almond Shave Soap (smells FANTASTIC!)
Proraso Aloe & Green Tea
Mitchell's Wool Fat

Blades

Open for suggestion. You have approximately 140 minutes...GO!

Allright, still time to left, let's see what I get for you

Pre/post; I haven't used this for pre shave, have to try someday. I don't use much pre stuffs because they haven't given me an extra benefit and I don't have a sensitive skin.
I use this for post and substitution for balms after splashes. It's not the most moisturising product but not bad either. I like the menthol smell occasionally but for daily it's too much.

Nivea balm: Gives a little alcohol burn and it's also decent stuff for it's price. Don't have to use a much and it lasts pretty well.

Tabac: famous lotion/soap but just a little too sweet to my taste. I don't use.

Conk soap is absolutely in my must list.

Proraso white; I agree your comment for this. Proraso makes good products and it's good to have other brands to test on.

MWF/Kent: I think the mediocre scent is one benefit for this product. I don't first like this soap. It wasn't bad but neither good. I'm a bowl lather guy and after trying this for direct face lathering it starts to work much better for me. Nowadays I think it's absolutely worth of to keep in rotation. Just a bit over average but not in the top bunch.

Somebody else can give you comments about blades because I'm just a ordinary straight shaver.
:smile:

Great stuff!

Feathers are my #1 blade and the Derby Extras are a very close second!

The Col Conk Almond is great soap!

You're gonna enjoy those goodies!

I went with the following:

Took me a while to figure out how to use it, but after a nice hot shower I rubbed in some Proraso pre/post. WOW, menthol/eucalyptis hit! Great stuff!

Then I geared up my razor with a brand spankin new Derby Extra, changed my mp3 to The Beatles, and whipped up some amazing smelling lather by Col. Conk.

Unless I'm not quite yet experienced enough, the lather wasn't as good as I get with Proraso Aloe and Green Tea, nevertheless it still provided a thick, creamy, again FANTASTIC smelling white armour upon my face.

Singin' to Here Comes the Sun, I made my first stroke with these new products. Didn't really notice any difference (good nor bad), but the smell of Col'Conk man! The scent was just sending me on a happy trip, it reminds me of my childhood for some reason :D

Anyways first pass on the first setting on my Fatboy with the grain, GREAT shave. I was only planning on doing that one pass to test out new products and have a bit of stubble for tomorrow night's christmas 'do, but I couldn't help myself and re-lathered.

I cranked the setting up a notch and did a pass across the grain. More amazing results, but what sucks is (and I'm not blaming anyone, I've been told a thousand times eliminate the variables!) I have no idea whether it's the Proraso Pre, the Derby Extra, or the Col. Conk.

I re-lather a final time and do a pass against the grain. It's a little rough, as they always are, but still a really, really good shave. Better (didn't think it was possible) than Proraso Aloe + Green Tea and a Feather, I can conclude that.

I finish my shave and lightly coat my Art of Shaving alum block in cold water. I rubbed it over my face (I just realised I've gone repeatedly from past to present tense, so ignore that :D), and only one small area of burning, a tiny nick I didn't notice on my cheek! My cheeks have probably the fastest healing power in this galaxy so it's gone in a few seconds.

I wash up my gear allowing the alum to dry. I then wash it all off with cold water, and apply what's now known as Proraso POST :D

Wow, I don't think my face has ever been as cold as it was in them first few minutes. It was amazing comfortable.

Now, about 15 minutes after the final pass, the Proraso feels like it's provided my skin with a steel baricade from my hands. Add to that I am not stinging anywhere on my face, and I feel like my newborn niece's bottom, and I say I've found my very first Goto setup.

P.S the smell of Col.Conk is sensational. :D

P.P.S really sensational.

The Derby's are great, you cannot go wrong with the good Colonel's soaps and the Nivea AS is always in my medicine chest. Enjoy!

You are right, that Conk smells great! Glad you had such a good shave. The Beatles, Here comes the sun, great shave song choice.

That reminds me, I need some Col. Conk almond. Great almond/maraschino scent.
I feel ripped off by the GFT almond soap smell :-(

I love reading your posts, Kiel ~ you have an engaging style!

I'm getting a bit tired of the Vicks Vapor-rub smell of Prorazo, but the products work very well. Even if I choose another lather - as you did - I use the pre-shave every morning... wet the face, rub it in and then leave it on while I have a shower. Rinse it off with the shampoo, then shave normally. I find it really does help; it may be the 'secret ingredient' that made the difference for you.

I have tried Pre as a Post, and even if you apply it to a moist face, I think it's glunky. The Nivea balm is the way to go! Pleasant, effective and quite cheap... what more can one ask?

I came home in my lunch break today...enjoyed a crusty pie with sauce, a sniff of Col.Conk and a dob of Proraso Pre/Post over my neck and cheeks.

Walked out feeling I had been to the dentist, minus the bill :D

Top Bottom