What's new

Safety Razor Of the Week, 11/30-12/6 The French A.K.

The French A.K.

proxy.php

This week I would like to take a look at and discuss the French A.K.

Prior to Gillette many inventors had attempted to devise a razor safer than the common folding 'cut throat' variety.

Many entrepreneurs did. Between 1864 and December 1901, when Gillette submitted his patent application, over 100 razor guard or safety razor patents were applied for and granted by the U.S. Patent Office. Designs were also patented in France, England and undoubtedly elsewhere.
The French A.K. is a fine example.

proxy.php

This heavy-duty guard razor – it weighs in at about 2-1/2 ounces – was patented in France, December 1879. by François Durand, Eugene Louis Bossin and Jean Jules Brard, all of Paris. The example below is marked A.K / Paris. The razor has a fixed single-edge wedge blade and a roller guard. Both the handle and blade pivot at the ends of the guard, which is adjustable with two screws. The cutting edge of the A.K blade is 2-1/16 inch long and the depth is 7/8 inch edge.

proxy.php

The 1881 U.S. Patent also shows the design adapted to a conventional folding guard razor.

proxy.php

I unfortunately do not have the pleasure of having one of these fine examples in my current collection. I have been looking for a very long time and you can bet your last dollar I will find one of these beauties someday.

Here is a quote that I found the other day while I was doing some research. I found it rather interesting and wanted to share it with everyone.

“Arose and tried to shave myself with a razor so dull that every time I scraped my face it looked as if I were in the throes of cholera morbus. By shaving often I, to a certain extent circumvent the diabolical malignity of these razors.
– From the diary of Thomas A. Edison, July 13, 1885

Any and all information about this razor is more than welcomed.

Back to Safety Razor of the Week.

Very interesting, Ray. Certainly unique. I have to wonder how well it really worked. When you find yours, let us know.

I wonder if Edison ever undertook to develop a better razor. Feeling as he apparently did, from your quote, it's hard to imagine him not attempting to come up with a better answer.

Regards,
Tom

Very interesting, Ray. Certainly unique. I have to wonder how well it really worked. When you find yours, let us know.

I wonder if Edison ever undertook to develop a better razor. Feeling as he apparently did, from your quote, it's hard to imagine him not attempting to come up with a better answer.

Regards,
Tom

I was reading up on TE's quote and it turns out he never did attempt to design one.

Very educational, not to mention interesting. Thanks Ray! I just started with straights and I think I would prefer the "cut throat" to that contraption.

You always seem to find some of the most "bizarre" razors out there, like this guy and the Pig Scrapper, as well as some insight on the more popular ones we have all come to love.

Thank you for sharing this info will all of us.

Very interesting. It actually seems like an intermediate step between the straight and the open comb DE. I could see Gillette making the logical jump to the open comb if he'd seen one of these.

With the rollers as a guide, it might not be too dangerous. :yikes:

Top Bottom