What's new

My New C-MON "Blackie"

This beautiful C-MON "Blackie" 6/8 arrived yesterday. It came in a pair of non-original, off-white celluloid scales. Fortunately, I'd recently purchased a pair of kosher C-MON "Blackie" scales, so I re-scaled the blade earlier this afternoon.

What's interesting about this razor is that unlike the other one I own, this one was manufactured not in Solingen, Germany, but in Ellicottville, NY. C-MON is the acronym for Carl Monkhouse, who manufactured straight razors, scissors, and other forms of cutlery -- first in Germany, and later in the US. His son, Carl Monkhouse Jr., now runs "Cuttlery Associates", based in Allegheny, NY; sadly, they no longer manufacture straight razors.

As you'll see in the attached photographs, I also scored a C-MON "Blackie" razor case, in excellent condition, and a mint, two-sided, C-MON hone (complete with original box -- also in mint condition -- and the enclosed instruction-sheet for using the hone).

Note: After reading the hone's box, I now understand the business relationship between Carl Monkhouse and Peter J. Michels. Brooklyn-based Michels was the sole US distributor of C-MON products, and continued to be after Carl Monkhouse moved to the US, in 1937; Peter J. Michels, Inc. closed its doors in 1955.

Warning! Forget it, Taz -- neither of my "Blackies" is for sale; you'll have to enjoy them from afar. :biggrin:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

There is a company still in business that goes by the name "Peter J. Michels" that still sells C-Mon shears and straight razors. I purchased a C-Mon "Cadillac" from Appleton's Barber Supply about a year ago and posted a review in the review section. They also carried the "Blackie" razor at the time.

C-Mon

Appleton Barber Supply

The old vintage C-MON strops are very nice. You need one to complete your set. That razor is mouth watering, and you know I am drooling over the hone as well.

Glen

There is a company still in business that goes by the name "Peter J. Michels" that still sells C-Mon shears and straight razors. I purchased a C-Mon "Cadillac" from Appleton's Barber Supply about a year ago and posted a review in the review section. They also carried the "Blackie" razor at the time.

C-Mon

Appleton Barber Supply

Fascinating! Here is a link to the obituary of Carl Monkhouse, Jr's wife.

Seems to be an interesting story-or-two here; perhaps I'll make some telephone calls at the start of the week, and see what I can ferret-out.

I have a pair of old c-mon barber scissors marked hand made. They were made in u.s.a. Did C-mon do a lot of hand made work or do I have something special? Thanks for any info!

Where Did You Find The C-mon Scales. I Recently Ebay'd A Blackie But It Had Been Poorly Rescaled With A Too Small Yellow Celluloid Scale. The Tip Of The Blade Bites Into The Spacer.
Thanks

This beautiful C-MON "Blackie" 6/8 arrived yesterday. It came in a pair of non-original, off-white celluloid scales. Fortunately, I'd recently purchased a pair of kosher C-MON "Blackie" scales, so I re-scaled the blade earlier this afternoon.

What's interesting about this razor is that unlike the other one I own, this one was manufactured not in Solingen, Germany, but in Ellicottville, NY. C-MON is the acronym for Carl Monkhouse, who manufactured straight razors, scissors, and other forms of cutlery -- first in Germany, and later in the US. His son, Carl Monkhouse Jr., now runs "Cuttlery Associates", based in Allegheny, NY; sadly, they no longer manufacture straight razors.

As you'll see in the attached photographs, I also scored a C-MON "Blackie" razor case, in excellent condition, and a mint, two-sided, C-MON hone (complete with original box -- also in mint condition -- and the enclosed instruction-sheet for using the hone).

Note: After reading the hone's box, I now understand the business relationship between Carl Monkhouse and Peter J. Michels. Brooklyn-based Michels was the sole US distributor of C-MON products, and continued to be after Carl Monkhouse moved to the US, in 1937; Peter J. Michels, Inc. closed its doors in 1955.

Warning! Forget it, Taz -- neither of my "Blackies" is for sale; you'll have to enjoy them from afar. :biggrin:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Hello,
New here what is the hone's box? Id like to read it to see what you are talking about.

Also Any more info on the Spear razors? I have a number 10 by PJM. Are PJM Spears manufactured by Carl Monkhouse (like CMons)?
Heres pics of the PJM Spear No 10
Peter J Michels Spear No 10

Top Bottom