What's new

Recommend to me a Merkur

Recommendations please. Relatively new to DE shaving...two months now. This will be DE #2 in my arsenal. I am currently using a Gillette 1963 adjustable.

I want something "medium"...close shave, not too aggressive, good to continue the learning curve.

Merkur HD maybe? And there's no reason why I shouldn't get this new, right?

An HD would be fine. I recently started using the 38C ("Long-handled HD", or "Barberpole"), and I love it.

And yes, it's not expensive nor hard to find, so there's no hassle in getting it new. Sometimes you can get a good deal on a lightly used one in the trading/selling forum here, though.

I've heard good things about the Progress if you want to stick with the adjustable razors. Of course there's also the Futur and Vision if you want a different futuristic razor, I tend to stick with the classic forms, though. Some people say they have problems with those maneuvering under the nose and such.

Since you are already using an adjustable, I would recommend the Progress. the head can replicate the shave of the HD and go more or less agressive as well. The Progress is more hefty than the gillette i think, but not comically so. A plus to me is that it is a Merkur design that has been around for a long time and has a traditional look. the cream color knob puts some people off but to me it seems appropriate. it comes from a time when Progress was trying to achieve a modern take on an old razor and the plastic was considered sort of high zoot and modern. If you like the buck rogers school of design, then the other two Merkur adjustables might be to your liking.

regards,

Mike

Since you are already using an adjustable, I would recommend the Progress. the head can replicate the shave of the HD and go more or less agressive as well. The Progress is more hefty than the gillette i think, but not comically so. A plus to me is that it is a Merkur design that has been around for a long time and has a traditional look. the cream color knob puts some people off but to me it seems appropriate. it comes from a time when Progress was trying to achieve a modern take on an old razor and the plastic was considered sort of high zoot and modern. If you like the buck rogers school of design, then the other two Merkur adjustables might be to your liking.

regards,

Mike

+1
I love my progress

regards,

Mike

+1 on what Mike said....the Progress is one mighty fine razor. However, if you don't like the cream colored knob (I don't) you can order a modified Progress from one of our members here, called a Mergress. Eric, the guy who sells them, is called "Mer" and he does a wonderful job...the razors look like they were made that way with a chrome knob.

If you want something bigger, the Vision is a wonderful razor, but it might not be for a newer guy....I own both the Mergress and the Vision, and my dad has a Futur....they are all great razors, but I'd say the Progress would probably be your best bet since it would be your first Merkur adjustable.

I have an HD and a Futur. I really like the weight and feel of the Futur. Due to the size it is a little challenging around the nose.

I really like my HD as well. It has nice balance and is easy to use around the nose. I have found that it takes me 3 to 4 passes with the HD compared withh 2 to 3 passes with my Futur.

I plan on alternating the two fo a while.

I love my 38c. My futur is gathering dust now.The HD seemed too small for me and did not give as close of a shave as the 38c.

Switching back to DE recently after decades of using cartridge razors, I chose a Merkur 38C. No problems at all with getting used to DE again. But about a week after getting the 38C I found that Edwin Jagger made a DE razor with a nifty handle just like the one I had been using for many years with my Gillette cartridge razor. Not only that, the EJ head was a Merkur that looked like my new 38C. So I sent off for it and have been supremely pleased with the result. To the eye, or mine at least, the EJ head is identical to that of my 38C.

I haven’t used the 38C since, but have really enjoyed the same head on my EJ. The 38C is such a handsome tool I rather want to keep it (acquisition disorder) but may decide to sell it here on B&B eventually.

Is the handle's shape/size the only difference between the non-adjustable merkurs?

In shaving, pretty much yes. In construction, no. Merkur's non-adjustable selection includes both two-piece and three-piece razors (not counting the travel razor). To me they shave the same, but others may disagree. The two-piece models are the ones like the HD and slant, while the three piece ones include, IIRC, the long classic and the 1901. I don't know how the 38C is put together.

Top Bottom