What's new

Brush Chronicle #12 Morris & Forndran

Bring on the Beehive!

agree, I want to see the beehive!

I third the beehive...since I am also a lover of M&F brushes (and that is all I own currently, aside from one Shavemac Finest 30mm Bulb)...I will have to snap a few obligatory shots of "the family" and perhaps post a few shots of my own latherings...

I'm currently using the Beehive and TOBS Lavender soap (and if I can stand it, I'll use it until it's gone, but I may throw a few test lathers on the others for the sake of the Chronicle).

Here are a couple older pics:
Chubby 32mm knot, 53mm loft, scrubby monster
proxy.php

Faux Onyx 31mm, 53mm loft, definitely a performer
proxy.php

Last edited:
Ben, how the hell do you choose a brush when you shave? Do you enter your hermetically sealed brush vault to commence an hour long round of eeny, meeny, miny, moe :lol: I bet you are filled with saddness at the end of each shave knowing you probably won't see that brush again for a year or two.

Seriously, beautiful (and big) collection. Thanks for indulging us!

Damn, this thread is killing me. So wonderful pictures. I dont know what's wrong, two month ago I was satisfied with my shaving brushes.. now I can't stop buying new ones!

Where do you buy these brushes? Any place located in europe (or at least shipping there)?

David, is the brush you are using as dense as the chubby 2? hard to tell from the picture, but it looks quite dense!

Damn, this thread is killing me. So wonderful pictures. I dont know what's wrong, two month ago I was satisfied with my shaving brushes.. now I can't stop buying new ones!

Where do you buy these brushes? Any place located in europe (or at least shipping there)?

+1 Where DO you buy these brushes?

Directly from Lee Sabini. Perhaps a member with his email will PM each of you with his contact information. Also look in the massive M&F thread here in the Brush Forum.

You have a PM

David, is the brush you are using as dense as the chubby 2? hard to tell from the picture, but it looks quite dense!

I don't think that it is quite as dense as my Chubby2, but very close to it. It certainly is a dense knot.

Check your PMs.

Here's my 27/48 Blonde Badger in horn (guessing imitation). it's the only M&F I own and will probably be the only one. It's a beauty and exactly what I like in a brush. Soft tips, nice backbone, decent flow-through and good size. It's also in what I think is a true fan. Something Lee wasn't doing much of in his earlier days. Unfortunately, I just noticed a crack in the handle above the second ridge. I'm hoping it doesn't get worse.

it's beautiful though. $photo(6).jpg

Sorry to hear about the crack in your handle- I do agree...... it sure is a beautiful brush! Thanks for posting the picture.

I have chosen my set-up for tomorrow morning and it looks like this:

proxy.php

If things go according to plan, I will rub the Valobra stick in the bottom of my lather bowl and deposit enough soap there for my shaving needs. That will make it easier to get some more photos.

Any thoughts, questions or photos that anyone else would care to add?

Great Chronicle and Excellent Pictures so here my L7 26/48 Blonde Fan..

Regards.

Attachments

• $wm_normal_l9.jpg
    $wm_normal_l9.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 739
  • $wm_normal_l10.jpg
    $wm_normal_l10.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 744
Wonderful pictures of a beautiful brush. Many thanks for posting them here. I would love to hear your thoughts about the brush and maybe even see a photo of it in action.

This morning I shaved using a Valobra stick. This is a fantastic soap and always gives good results. In order to create some lather, I rub the stick in my bowl to deposit enough soap for my shave.

proxy.php

I gave the brush a good shake, added a couple of drops of water and after 30 seconds, it looked like this....

proxy.php

A few more drops of water and after a minute in the bowl I was ready to shave.

proxy.php

Although it is not always easy for me to commit to using just one brush for a couple of weeks one of the pluses is that I am able to rotate the rest of my shaving gear. Instead of using a puck of soap from go to whoa, I am mixing things around and re-discovering old favourites. Today was the turn of Tabac Soap.

proxy.php

My brush was soaked and then shaken out

proxy.php

After 30 seconds loading the brush looked like this:

proxy.php

And after a minute of loading it was time to head to the bowl and make some lather. After 30 seconds and a few drops of water:

proxy.php

After a minute in the bowl it was time to grab my razor and shave.

proxy.php

This thread is all about the brushes, but it does tend to turn into something of a showcase for soaps and creams as well. Tabac is wonderful and provided me with a terrific shave this morning.

I think the thing that separates M&Fs from the other high-end brush makers is that they represent the idiosyncratic vision of one fabulous brush maker. These aren't built to satisfy a marketing manager or to exploit a specific niche. So here I am, a guy who often avoids 2-band knots and 4 of the five are just that. I recently picked up the brush on the far right for my son and you can read about it here. The butterscotch 3-band on the far left is a recent addition acquired directly from Lee. The knot is 28.5 with a 47 loft and a 42.25 handle. The brush is a dream, very soft and with just the right density. I've only used it for face-lathers and it's becoming my favorite brush for my MdC (I think the two of them may be seeing each other on the side they get along so well together). Next up is a natural horn 2-band with a 26 knot 51 loft and 46.7 handle. I got this brush for one I lost in this tragic accident. This would be the ideal brush for someone who likes a bit of scrub and a tiny hint of scritch. Unfortunately, that's not me so it sits lonely & orphaned on the shelf. I picked up the horn emilion in the center to do the nasty with my Dirty Bird 1.5. The knot is 31.5 with a 55.3 loft and a 71.4 handle. I know you guys can do the math but let me save you the trouble, it stands a towering 126.7. Now I have a couple of clown brushes that are bigger, but in the world of usable brushes this specimen is a real work-horse. Not only are the tips super-soft but the handle is amazing for bowl lathers. I do a lot of super lathers with it as it picks up soap like a champ while whipping up a lather like a whisk in a bowl of heavy cream. Finally, 2nd from right is the XXL with a 34 knot 50 loft and 45.2 handle. This has the softness of a Chubby 3 in super with the backbone of a 2-band. It's not scrubby and has no scritch. It's for days when I'm in the mood to be smothered by a really big brush. It works well in the bowl or on the face & I only use it with soft soaps (QCS, AdP, Cella, Razorock etc). It can handle hard soaps easily but I always gravitate to the croaps when I use it. It can be a bit of a lather hog but it's very manageable.

$IMG_1630.jpg

Dear Ben,

If there is a hell, yours is going to be filled with lots of very angry badgers... :taz:

It's very hard not to laugh at this....... :001_smile

I think the thing that separates M&Fs from the other high-end brush makers is that they represent the idiosyncratic vision of one fabulous brush maker. These aren't built to satisfy a marketing manager or to exploit a specific niche. So here I am, a guy who often avoids 2-band knots and 4 of the five are just that. I recently picked up the brush on the far right for my son and you can read about it here. The butterscotch 3-band on the far left is a recent addition acquired directly from Lee. The knot is 28.5 with a 47 loft and a 42.25 handle. The brush is a dream, very soft and with just the right density. I've only used it for face-lathers and it's becoming my favorite brush for my MdC (I think the two of them may be seeing each other on the side they get along so well together). Next up is a natural horn 2-band with a 26 knot 51 loft and 46.7 handle. I got this brush for one I lost in this tragic accident. This would be the ideal brush for someone who likes a bit of scrub and a tiny hint of scritch. Unfortunately, that's not me so it sits lonely & orphaned on the shelf. I picked up the horn emilion in the center to do the nasty with my Dirty Bird 1.5. The knot is 31.5 with a 55.3 loft and a 71.4 handle. I know you guys can do the math but let me save you the trouble, it stands a towering 126.7. Now I have a couple of clown brushes that are bigger, but in the world of usable brushes this specimen is a real work-horse. Not only are the tips super-soft but the handle is amazing for bowl lathers. I do a lot of super lathers with it as it picks up soap like a champ while whipping up a lather like a whisk in a bowl of heavy cream. Finally, 2nd from right is the XXL with a 34 knot 50 loft and 45.2 handle. This has the softness of a Chubby 3 in super with the backbone of a 2-band. It's not scrubby and has no scritch. It's for days when I'm in the mood to be smothered by a really big brush. It works well in the bowl or on the face & I only use it with soft soaps (QCS, AdP, Cella, Razorock etc). It can handle hard soaps easily but I always gravitate to the croaps when I use it. It can be a bit of a lather hog but it's very manageable.

View attachment 235575

Thanks for your thoughts and the photo Mark, much appreciated!

A Day To Celebrate- in a Knize kind of mood:

proxy.php

After a good soak and a shake out

proxy.php

After loading for 30 seconds, my brush looked like this:

proxy.php

and after a minute, it was time to move to the lather bowl

proxy.php

a few drops of water and 30 seconds mixing time

proxy.php

after a minute it was showtime

proxy.php

quite impressive lather- really slick

proxy.php

A good shaving experience with a soap that I use too rarely. I guess that it has now earnt the Gold Treatment and should have it's day in the sun when the summer comes to an end.

Top Bottom