What's new

Boker Silver Steel ("New")

If this thing isn't a re-branded Wacker, than a Lexus isn't made by Toyota. They sent me the "wrong" certificate of "authenticity" (they sent me one for the less expensive "King Cutter" model) the scales are uneven, The head is unevenly ground, the pattern etched into the spine isn't straight and runs off the side of the spine towards the shank, the pivot is pretty loose, the "French Tip" isn't really a french tip, and there are scuffs on the shank and tang, and the razor is nowhere near shave ready.

So far, for a $350 razor a BIG time pass. If you want a wacker, just buy a wacker, and save a lot of $.

full

full

full

While this looks "nice" it runs off the side towards the tang. Really medeocre...
full

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Such a shame. I realise that the chance that Boker was all of a sudden bringing out fantastic new razors was pretty slim, but you never know (I thought). For $350 you'd expect something really nice...

Joel, thanks for (again) taking one for the team, and posting pictures. Have you had a chance to shave with it yet?

Wow.... TELL me this Wacker doesn't look radically similar to the Boker... identical blade profile/design, same scales (the scales are IDENTICAL to my Wacker scales in size, horn type, thickness, etc)

Yes sir fellas, this Boker is merely a radically overpriced Wacker. :mad:

proxy.php

sorry to hear that, joel. thanks for doing this and saving many. at least the 7-day m&w should offset your loss on this one...

Wow.... TELL me this Wacker doesn't look radically similar to the Boker... identical blade profile/design, same scales (the scales are IDENTICAL to my Wacker scales in size, horn type, thickness, etc)

Yes sir fellas, this Boker is merely a radically overpriced Wacker. :mad:

OTOH, the blade design also looks like this vintage Dorko, and the Dorko is actually full hollow like the Boker (or at least Boker claims it is) - the Wacker pictured above is only a quarter hollow.

Joel, how does the Boker shave?

Wacker works from old blanks left over from various defunkt companies, right? Dorko, Bartmann, Voli, Mella, Modoso, and so on. I'd say it's possible that Boker found a bunch of blanks and worked out a deal with Wacker to have them made into razors.

OTOH, the blade design also looks like this vintage Dorko, and the Dorko is actually full hollow like the Boker (or at least Boker claims it is) - the Wacker pictured above is only a quarter hollow.

Joel, how does the Boker shave?

As Bjorn stated, Wacker deals with a lot of old blanks, so who knows what the razor actually "is." As for the razor in the above picture being quarter hollow, this is to a large extent moot, as Wacker grinds the razors himself, and could easily turn a 1/4 hollow into an extra hollow.

The good news is - it's actually a top notch shaver.

The bad news is, it took me almost TWO HOURS on a DMT COARSE diamond plate to even establish a uniform bevel/edge on the damn thing. This was the worst off "new" razor I have EVER experienced. I mean there was ZERO edge on the razor, and the shoulder was totally uneven, and the blade/edge itself wasn't totally straight, so it took REALLY a lot of work to get the damn thing serviceable - and now the shoulders of the razor are all honed down/flattened up quite a bit, which make it look like a pretty well used razor. I can't imagine them sending a razor out like this... I mean if you only had a Norton 4/8K, it would literally takes days of honing on the 4K side to get anything serviceable out of the damn thing. It was a horrible experience to hone the razor up, and I cannot even remember the last time it took me even 1/4 the time to hone up a razor.

So far, a BIG time :thumbdown - I just checked the exchange rate, and the going price on these right now is $370, which DOESN'T include shipping from germany. That's merely $60 less than the amazing Pierre Thiers Hammer, or about the same price as a TI LE Horn covered tang AND a TI LE "Art Deco" combined. I'd go as far as to say, I think this is the worst "deal" on the straight razor market today. Hell, it's merely $30 less than the Dovo Mammoth Ivory LE Singing razor - which at the VERY least comes in a nice ebony box, has an actual "singing" blade, looks nicer, has more "value" as at least it has mammoth ivory scales, is built better (although still not great) and at least in my opinion, shaves better.

Overall, so far a BIG TIME pass on these razors and I cannot imagine anything changing my mind on this thing with more use - but of course, I'll use it more. If I could get my money back on the thing - I would, it's really a "nothing special" razor at an absurd price.

I'd rank it below a TI, or a Dovo, so with both of those razors being $200 LESS than the Boker, I think it's really "worth" about $130, and wouldn't recommend paying more than a dime more for one... and even then, make SURE you've got a few very coarse hones, and know how to use 'em.

A VERY big disappointment.

Yes it seems like most modern day things its all about hype with no substance. Companies just trying to extract the most out of people with shoddy materials.

Yes it seems like most modern day things its all about hype with no substance. Companies just trying to extract the most out of people with shoddy materials.

What kills me is their 3/8th's Damascus razor with PLASTIC scales is $1,100.

I think Boker is hurting their reputation for quality/value by offering these mediocre razors, at full custom prices...

What kills me is their 3/8th's Damascus razor with PLASTIC scales is $1,100.

I think Boker is hurting their reputation for quality/value by offering these mediocre razors, at full custom prices...

Boker's rep is being hurt among us, but I don't think the average buyer of these Boker razors are even aware of customs, refurbs, etc. I believe they are the type that reads and can afford the kinds of products advertised or highlighted in, say, the Robb Report. More than likely, these razors are going to be purchased as a flashy, unique gift that will get closeted. Still, shame on Boker for disgracing a long lived and hard earned reputation of excellence. :nono:

Boker's rep is being hurt among us, but I don't think the average buyer of these Boker razors are even aware of customs, refurbs, etc. I believe they are the type that reads and can afford the kinds of products advertised or highlighted in, say, the Robb Report. More than likely, these razors are going to be purchased as a flashy, unique gift that will get closeted. Still, shame on Boker for disgracing a long lived and hard earned reputation of excellence. :nono:

Honestly... I doubt it. They sent me to boker catalogue, and the razors are some of the more expensive items, and are not NEARLY as nice as the gorgeous damascus, mother of pearl - etc fine knives they have... and those much nicer knives are less expensive.

They have had these razors "out" for months, and have sold only a very, very small handful (less than 40). Seeing as how they are all "limited production" (mine is serial #35) I'm sure they are Wacker blanks, but in any case - I highly doubt people will pay $300-$1,000 on VERY plain looking "knives" (in their eyes).

It doesn't take an expert to see a VERY simple/plain blade mated to a horn handle isn't worth $370.

Honestly... I doubt it. They sent me to boker catalogue, and the razors are some of the more expensive items, and are not NEARLY as nice as the gorgeous damascus, mother of pearl - etc fine knives they have... and those much nicer knives are less expensive.

They have had these razors "out" for months, and have sold only a very, very small handful (less than 40). Seeing as how they are all "limited production" (mine is serial #35) I'm sure they are Wacker blanks, but in any case - I highly doubt people will pay $300-$1,000 on VERY plain looking "knives" (in their eyes).

It doesn't take an expert to see a VERY simple/plain blade mated to a horn handle isn't worth $370.

Good point. You're probably right in that respect. Are the razors available in shops that stock Boker, or only from Boker direct?

Good point. You're probably right in that respect. Are the razors available in shops that stock Boker, or only from Boker direct?

I believe dealers can purchase them, so anyone who stocks Bokers should be able to purchase them from a Boker dealer... I can't imagine too many boker dealers up and buying these though, as they are incredibly expensive - and without them having an intimate knowledge of straight razors, can't imagine them doing such a thing.

I totally agree with Joel in his criticism of the razor he purchased.

Boker has a reputation for quality. Buying a new straight razor requires a leap of faith buy any purchaser. Boker is expensive and you rely on the brand as an indication of quality. These items are supposed to last a lifetime and provide a good smooth daily shave. It's not as if the item Joel purchased is extra special in the appearance stakes. He was looking to Boker for a quality blade and not a second. How many punters would know why the razor gave a bad shave. How many new converts may have bought this item and given up after wondering what they were doing wrong. I mean how could it possibly be the razor, it's brand new and from Boker.

Clearly Boker has a quality control problem or is selling on its old reputation.

Joel, with respect, you made one mistake. You should have retuned it to the Boker with a list of your complaints and asked for a full refund. I am sure the General Manager of Boker would be outraged to know that any customer of theirs had been supplied with such abysmal quality.

Thanks for the warning.

I totally agree with Joel in his criticism of the razor he purchased.

Boker has a reputation for quality. Buying a new straight razor requires a leap of faith buy any purchaser. Boker is expensive and you rely on the brand as an indication of quality. These items are supposed to last a lifetime and provide a good smooth daily shave. It's not as if the item Joel purchased is extra special in the appearance stakes. He was looking to Boker for a quality blade and not a second. How many punters would know why the razor gave a bad shave. How many new converts may have bought this item and given up after wondering what they were doing wrong. I mean how could it possibly be the razor, it's brand new and from Boker.

Clearly Boker has a quality control problem or is selling on its old reputation.

Joel, with respect, you made one mistake. You should have retuned it to the Boker with a list of your complaints and asked for a full refund. I am sure the General Manager of Boker would be outraged to know that any customer of theirs had been supplied with such abysmal quality.

Thanks for the warning.

Oh I would..... but they don't allow returns :eek:

Well - Joel should send them a copy of this thread. I dare saw there are going to be no customers from this forum, eh?

Cheers
Ivo

Top Bottom