What's new

Merkur Progress Question - help please!

Hey Guys,

I just got my brand new Progress, and I have what is probably a very simple question, but seeing as the instructions that come with it read worse than stereo instructions, I am asking "the experts":

The little piece of instructions that with it shows the razor, with the markings on the head seemingly lined up with the #5 setting...I don't know if they are commenting that for it to work properly you must initially have the markings on the head lined up with the #5 setting, or if they are simply saying that the markings on the head and cap must be aligned in order for the adjustability to work. Any help?

Is it normal that my razor goes down to only setting 1.5? Is there a way to get it to 1?

Any other tidbits of info that I need to know to be off and shaving would be much appreciated.

Thanks, guys.

ps - I really like the weight of this thing...significanlty heftier than my HD.

I'm going to make up my own terms, so anyone, feel free to correct me...

To answer your question, don't get too caught up on the numbers with your Progress. The important thing is to find your comfort zone and maintain it. The key thing, is to make sure the notch in the cap is lined up with the triangle on the head. Based on the instructions, you should also line up the dot on the handle. If you make sure that the dot on the handle is always in this position, you will always end up with the same number associated with your favorite position. Don't worry about what number other people use, just find your height and be consistent. Soon enough you'll be able to eyeball your setting, so the numbers won't be so relevant.

The key thing, is to make sure the notch in the cap is lined up with the triangle on the head. Based on the instructions, you should also line up the dot on the handle. If you make sure that the dot on the handle is always in this position, you will always end up with the same number associated with your favorite position.

The "dot" you are referring to: is that the dot on the shaft of the razor, or the dot on the setting dial? The reason I ask, is that the dot on the shaft of the razor is about 90 degrees off from the side of the head where the notch in the cap and the triangle of the head are. If I have to line this up, how do I do it without breaking this thing?

I'm referring to the dot on the shaft. It does turn. It shocked me the first time I turned the shaft by accident. I was fearful I wouldn't find "my" setting again. That just goes to my point of, don't get hung up on the numbers. Keep the dot in the same spot, and you will always have a consistent number setting. If you are content with where your dot is, leave it there and move it back if it ever moves on you.

if they could have gotten this little piece of engineering straight, they might have won the war.:ohmy:

Agree with above, find out what works for you, but for many, settings between 3 and 4 are common. Some use lower settings if trying to tame a very sharp blade (like getting used to a Feather) or shaving delicate / easy to irritate areas. Regardless, you may want start the first pass at 2 or 2.5 to see how that goes and adjust based on what you experience. In general, an equal number is significantly more aggressive than on a Gillette.

I am a big fan of the Progress. When there is a razor in mine, the lowest setting I get is 1.5. I just assumed that was normal.

The way I read that instruction sheet is that for the scale to be correct, you must align the two index marks on the head. then when you install a new blade and tighten it up, the 1 should line up with the dot on the handle. Mine works just that way, but I have heard of the number ring sliding around on the knob. And now, If I get this right, that the handle can twist.

anyway, if you are fortunate enough to have one that the number ring and barrel dont move on, then you will be able to get somewhat repeatable settings.

Regards,
Mike

Hi Keith,

I go through a lot of these things and 1.5 is the norm on new razors. Only 1 out of 5 or 6 razors that I see actually go down to the 1 when they're new. This can be adjusted but it's more of an aesthetic thing rather than a functional thing.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Eric

my progress used to dial only down to 1.5, now it dials down to 1 as a minimum setting. blade exposure seems the same, so i assume this has something to do with breaking in.

my advice is to start at the lowest setting, and then experiment by gradually dialing up the setting. i've shaved at 4 or 5 but my current favorite is two passes at 1, one pass at 2 -- great results and no irritation.

Top Bottom